The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Dec 23, 2012.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

1983 Alan Mcafee cap toes. (later bought by Churches) At the time Macafee had a Royal Warrant for making Prince Charles' riding boots.

Bought them in London that year when the US Dollar was $1.09 to the Pound. I remember that they cost $65 US including VAT. But the shoe trees were a whopping $15 US. I've had these resoled at least four times.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. meister

meister Senior member

I remember first going into the Banana Republic store in San Fran in the 80s and getting the same vibe.

3. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Continuing on from the above McAfee shoes, Alan McAfee balmoral boots (made by C&J most likely, one of several Northampton makers who made RTW shoes and boots for them) from some time pre-Church's buyout:

[​IMG]

Edward Green veldtschoen boots, the ancestor of the Galway, from around the '60s by EG's own estimation:

[​IMG]

And two pairs of the ancestor of the boot above, Lotus's famous '263' veldtschoen boot. Both dating from the '40s, the rear pair belonged to a Czech officer who fought with the British Army in WW2. His boots are still my ultimate footwear for anything extreme:

[​IMG]

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

^^^^ Those boots are amazing. On the above topic, I also remember going into Banana Republic in the early 80's in Milwaukee and it was totally decked out to look like a jungle camp. They had fake huts and even a jeep right in the store. It's weird to think all their stores used to be like that compared to what they are today.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You guys have made me proud of this thread the past few posts. :worship:

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

RE: banana republic, i highly recommend the book the couple who started the store wrote and released in 2012. very short, easy read, but a great story of retailing / clothing / entrepreneurship

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you're talking about the store on the SW corner of union square, I too went in there many times in the 80's and it wasn't much like the 8 story wonderland PSG just described. Safari jackets and bush hats yes, but no guns, no exotic skins, no fine European tailored clothing or bench made shoes.

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

I think he was talking about the A&F store in NY in the 60's.

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

These are amazing! Those boots look 6 months old, not 6+ decades.

10. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Heh, cheers! One of the soles on the front pair went just before Christmas, which was a blow because they both still have their original soles.

The ones at the back barely show any signs of having been worn. I reckon the owner put them into storage after the war or something and maybe just gave them an occasional wax as the leather was in pretty good condition when I first got them.

11. mainy

mainy Senior member

hope you sent those back to get resoled by the original maker, i think it would be worth it

12. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

PSG was, but Meister wasn't.

13. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

A&F in South Coast Plaza was not 8 floors but it was very cool when I was 12-13 ish.

14. comrade

comrade Senior member

My Dad, who was in the 8th Air Force based in England during W.W 2, came back with a pair of veltdschoen which he wore in the snow in New York, where we lived ,for the next 40+ years. I understand that it was not uncommon to adopt items from other armed forces uniforms and wear them with one's own uniform. For my Dad, this also included a pair of Jodphur boots and a trench coat, also probably British. The latter had numerous holes in it caused by a nearby incendiary bomb hit and a souvenier more than a coat to be worn.

15. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

thanks will read this soon.