1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Dec 23, 2012.

1. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

2. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful.

3. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

Beautiful Peals. They pre-date 1965. Size is 952 or 9 1/2 B, UK sizing. The Peal rtw models were made by EG from 1965 until the late 70s or so. I believe yours were made in the original Peal workshop. They supplied BB with rtw models as early as 1936.

4. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

Thanks for the info.

5. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Senior member

Here's a relatively ancient Polo Ralph Lauren, done in a coarse tweed. Gun Club Check, patch pockets, 3/2 roll - even before the internet!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

That's sweet. I love Polo, of every vintage.

3 people like this.
  7. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Me too. Those early Polo tweeds are always awesome.

8. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

I've been pondering if I should give Polos a chance, but is the quality worth hunting for them? Are vintage Polo jackets and suits fused or unfused, from great or average cloths, with high armholes or not? Which factories have made for them in the past? I dislike paying for designs alone if the quality is so-so.

9. double00

double00 Senior member

the oldest polo tailored stuff is made by Norman Hilton and it's sweet, i dunno about canvassing but the fabric and build are extremely sturdy, really just fine outerwear. Look for the interior tags with RALPH LAUREN in all caps, although some of the later label stuff might also be made by Hilton i just take it as i see it lol. i like the really coarse tweeds but haven't really come across any worsted vintage suiting.

there was a period of us-made tailored stuff (after Hilton but before Italy/Corneliani) that i'm not as big a fan of but the early tweeds are really fantastic and i've been seeing more of them available lately.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  10. comrade

comrade Senior member

In the eighties I wore Norman Hilton tweeds and worsteds.
    Bulletproof fabrics with character. I also wore a lot of Chipp
    through the early 2000s some of which was reputed to have
    been made by NH. I had a few couple of Polos, but for some
    reason Polo never really fit me that well.

11. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Thank you, Double 0! I will take a look at eBay's bounty now.

1 person likes this.
  12. Coal_Mining_Polak

Here's another Vintage Polo Ralph Lauren piece. It's a new old stock (still pinned) Chambray Shirt with neat Western detailing on the cuff. I've never seen this particular label.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  13. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Senior member

@Coal_Mining_Polak

That shirt is KILLER, especially the cuff detail.

I've never found out too much info about it, but I feel like it was started in the late 70s or early 80s and existed for less than a decade. Polo Western and Polo Country seem to be sub-brands of Ralph that were pre-cursors to RRL (the embroidery on the cuff isn't too far off of modern RRL)

1 person likes this.
  14. Alex Hayes

Alex Hayes Well-Known Member

It's been a bit since there's been a post in here. I've got a couple items to toss on here. First is a nice vintage Woolrich Black/Red jacket. I happened to come across this last night in my size and I was pretty stoked. I've been wanting to find something in this style for a bit and this definitely fits the bill. Based on my research the tag indicates a late 60's date for this. The zipper is also large and hefty with the word "Ideal" on it that screams vintage. It's in pretty awesome shape too.

[​IMG]

Next is a vintage Brooks Brothers jacket. I've had this forever but I'm just now getting to posting it. The label inside says 1968 I believe. I've searched the name and haven't come up with much, I assume it wasn't anyone crazy famous or anything. It's very cool though, unlined with patch pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Looks like 65 or even 60 to me. Nice finds! Whatever the date on that BB, it shows how traditionalist BB was - that lining style was common up through the early 50s, but by the late 50s almost everyone had gone to a half lining in the back.

1 person likes this.
  16. Alex Hayes

Looking at the other numbers I think 65 is definitely a possibility!I definitely see what you're saying. The beauty of traditional looks us they generally don't go out of style in my opinion. I think this jacket could look great now and in the future!

17. Coal_Mining_Polak

Here's a stellar overcoat, even amongst so many vintage choices. It's dated 1960 and woven of true Donegal tweed!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Alex Hayes

Very nice coat above! I'm going to keep this thread going because I love seeing the vintage stuff.

I recently found this hat that I thought was pretty awesome. Can't find much information online other than a couple other listings/pictures. I'd guess it's from the 40's or 50's. It's a very small size. I'm not sure if it's a Woolrich made hat or made by another company with Woolrich fabric. If anyone knows anything I'd be interested to hear it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] this dates from 1949-1962, correct? Cashmere overcoat

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member