The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Dec 23, 2012.

1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

2. meister

meister Senior member

French Shriner &Urner dates the shoes to pre-1955 and usually late 40s with the spade soles etc. The Urner part in the name I believe disappeared around 1955. A great manufacturer but like all US shoemakers of quality = RIP.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

For folks talking about dating stuff, I bought this book from Amazon and it's very neat and useful for that.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thats an awesome book, great find! Where do they stop, 70s?

5. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

National Recovery Act era jacket, from 1933-1935. Not in the best shape, but still cool and with great workmanship.

[​IMG]
    Half-lined
    [​IMG]

The half-lining is split at the center of the collar for flexibility, and there is a backing material to the lining. Impeccable taped edges at the seam are evident.
    [​IMG]

NRA (National Recovery Act) tag
    [​IMG]

Real buttonhole on lapel (one on each side)
    [​IMG]

Buttonhole on front
    [​IMG]

early 1970s Daks double-breasted, double-vented navy blazer w/ heavy brass buttons. Not sure if it belongs, but thought it was interesting to see something of an older era from an established, current maker.

[​IMG]
    Super-heavy solid metal buttons. Feels like solid brass but maybe plated?
    [​IMG]

even the interior button is solid metal!
    [​IMG]

Double-vented:
    [​IMG]

Old-school tag and lining
    [​IMG]

Interesting care instruction tag, in front of ACWU tag with (R) and black letters, i.e. from early-mid 1970's
    [​IMG]

6. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

Feel free to delete this Spoo if it does not adhere to the thread and I will not be butthurt. This happens to be the second item I've sold to the Madison Ave. office of Ralph Lauren if that has any meaning. I did come across my first Savile Row find the other day which I need to photograph and it will make its way into this thread.
    Anyway a vintage Carters selvedge denim corduroy collar chore coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  7. eazye

eazye Senior member

Picked up this amazing 50's heavy wool cardigan yesterday. This thing is dead stock, looks like someone bought it and hung it in a closet for 60 years. I also just set it on the scale and it weighs an incredible 5lbs! They just don't make em like they used to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

That i

That is beautiful! What size ;)

9. mhtcjt37

mhtcjt37 Senior member

Don't know if this qualifies but picked thrifted this yesterday. Abercrombie and Fitch Shooting Jacket, from the Union labels I believe it was made between 76-88.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I've seen other stuff from A&F like that, don't much about it, are they actually decent quality?

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

Before the original A&F went bankrupt inthe late 70s, their clothing probably compared favorably in quality to Brooks Brothers
    high-end "own make" line of the time. At Brooks that was just under "custom" ( bespoke) and about the best quality in US RTW,
    except for maybe Oxxford.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abercrombie_&_Fitch

12. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I remember being in an A&F store in the mid-80s. My impression was of clothing but also travel and safari related gear and knick knacks. In fact, I had a friend whose father was, if IIRC, an executive for A&F, probably for the Canadian market up here.

13. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Oh wow, learn something new every day. I didn't know their was so much history behind the company.

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

As a kid, my family moved to the NYC area in 1963. One of my most memorable initial experiences in all of Manhattan was visiting the 8 story A&F store. It was like a dream world and each floor had its own edited theme of the finest things from around the world. It still catered to the image of the great explorer although in reality it was the best hunting, fishing, camping, field, country home apparel, furniture and accessories available. The menswear floor had everything from blue blazers to knee length hooded fur coats making you look like an Arctic explorer. Of course they had safari jackets and shirts, full length shearling jackets, suede blazers. The gun floor had everything from a miniature derringer to a canon for sale. The furniture floor had exotic animal skins, campaign furniture, etc. The camping floor had all kinds of cool hiking and outdoor gear from Europe. This was no LL Bean. Even if you didn't go in to get outfitted for a safari, it felt like an adventure just being there, where many famous people had outfitted themselves for safaris, great explorations and even for war.

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

1972 Vintage Lowa hiking boots. I'm the original owner...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013