1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Dec 23, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Its OK to be that passionate about a tweed cape. I understand. But all you have to do is bid. :)

2. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Sadly, there will be no new clothing for me for a while. Not a good budget year, and I have to (somehow!) get to a wedding in St. Lucia this December.

3. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

Midnight Blue Shawl Collar DJ, dated 1965:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Towers

Towers Senior member

I got this sick-nasty classic 3/2 BB blazer in the thriftmas exchange, I wish it was longer in the sleeves. Union tags indicate '68-'76;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Senior member

True Vintage Golden-Era Brooks Brothers shirt. 6-button front, Machine wash "hot," unlined button-down collar. UNWORN with original fold lines and cardboard/plastic underneath the collar. A wearable piece of history. :D Update: Sold in an hour, going to Japan, no shock!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

8. comrade

comrade Senior member

2 people like this.
  9. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Senior member

I wish that this one was even close to my size. Made by Brent AKA Montgomery Ward, the colors are incredible. 46S :plain:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Apologies for the iPhone photos; I don't have my camera handy. :D

Canadian military issue battle dress serge trousers, dated December 1951. Mint/deadstock condition.
    Manufacturer is Jack Victor Inc. Very nice to see a bit of history connected with a current manufacturer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. comrade

comrade Senior member

Perhaps intended for the Princess Pat's and/or the Vandoos who fought in Korea.

http://www.frumforum.com/remembering-the-forgotten-war/

1 person likes this.
  12. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

13. meister

meister Senior member

14. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I just found an odd hunting jacket. My gut is sending me into the late 1930s or early 1940s, because of the pointed collar, the cut on the pockets and the amount of material used.
    It's in a buffalo plaid pattern but multi-coloured, which I've never seen before. There appears to be venting on the sleeves, the front and the back but when I snake my hand up into it it's sealed at the top so it's simply another layer of fabric. Maybe for warmth; maybe for protection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. AndrewDoesHair

AndrewDoesHair Well-Known Member

I just picked up these sweet boots on eBay. Made in 1964.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. Gajsek

Gajsek Senior member

Cross-post from the state of black tie thread, could you help with identifying the age of this suit?

I bought this in a charity shop here, in Edinburgh, where I study.

It seems quite to very old to me, but I'm far from sure. One clue to its age is the fact that it's a 3-piece. And that the company by which it was made stopped work in 1985, I think.
    It's fully canvased, ad made of a heavy, very soft, and breathable barathea wool fabric (too old to be synthetic. And much too fine). It's unbelievably comfortable. I mean, I've even ran in this suit...
    It was probably a nice off the peg suit. (as it has tags in all separate pieces and lacks surgeon cuffs. It's only a guess, though.)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And the details (to help identify the age):
    [​IMG] Curved breast pocket

[​IMG] Brand - Baronia.

[​IMG] Other tags are gone, like this one (there was a tag in the waistcoat pockets, and the trouser back pocket)

[​IMG] Link closure.

[​IMG] Waistcoat (with a new back)

[​IMG] Trousers - double forward pleats, brace buttons on the outside, braid on the side.

[​IMG] Trouser closure

[​IMG] Pleats, pocket, braid details.

1 person likes this.
  18. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

Looks like 1940s to me, particularly the style of the brace and fly buttons on the pants and the closely-spaced buttons/the cut of the vest. I have a similar tuxedo jacket from the early 1930s that shares the curved breast pocket detail and link front but has crazy damask silk buttons instead.

What are the sleeve buttons like; how many/are they spaced/fake buttonhole style? Is there any visible stitching underneath the back of the collar if you flip it up?

19. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Sirs, I will be posting up some pictures of my vintage formal stuff this weekend, but I have a question.

The covered buttons on my frock coat are quite worn, and one is missing from the front and one from the sleeve.

The threads feel quite brittle and I fear I may lose more if I wear it buttoned.

Am I best off trying to find a similar vintage button, or replacing the entire set?

Is there a source I should look to?

Also, possibly because I am an idiot, I can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to button the confounded thing; it is double breasted with two rows of buttons and two rows of button holes. (Prince Albert?)

Edit: snapped a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any idea on year?
    It has no tags anywhere, no outside pockets, one inner right breast pocket, and a smaller inner left waist pocket. Button holes in both lapels.

Does the small inner waist pocket have a special purpose?

Is there a way to touch up the worn patch on the lapel?

J

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  20. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Your frock coat was almost certainly made before about 1925. Except in some very rare diplomatic uses, the frock coat fell entirely out of style after that point. I'd put it in the first two decades of the 20th century, but it's hard to be more precise than that.

You won't be able to find a matching button. If you want to replace the missing one(s), you'll have to replace them all. And no, no way to fix the worn lapel silk.

Many pictures I've seen of men wearing frock coats show them worn open and unbuttoned, so you don't necessarily have to worry about buttoning it. If you do, button it left over right just like any men's jacket or coat. Does the right side of the jacket show any indications the buttons have been moved closer to the edge than they might have once been?

Edit: This one may not have ever been meant to button, but instead to close with a link front. Not sure. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frock_coat#Informal_frock_coat_suits

1 person likes this.