1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Vanda Fine Clothing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 7, 2011.

1. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Just placed an order for 3 grenadines. Awaiting their arrival with excitement!

2. FillW

FillW Senior member

Nice tweed jacket he has on there. Wish the Wal-Mart tweeds fit like that one. [​IMG]

3. gherrmann

gherrmann Senior member

this actually makes me sad. these ties are beautiful, but the lack of a keeper drives me nuts. (maybe it shouldn't, but let's not go turning this into a therapy session.) the owners are willing to customize orders in other respects -- which is great -- but I begged them (okay, asked politely) to see if they would add some sort of keeper to future orders and they declined. it's their prerogative, to be sure, but it really puts me off from making future purchases.

4. applky

applky Senior member

^ Have you tried masking tape?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  5. gherrmann

gherrmann Senior member

that would probably drive me nuts as well.

6. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Do you put the narrow end of the tie in the keeper? Or just like it to be there?

With thicker fabrics, normally it is just a piece of fabric sewn on, but for lighter fabrics it is sewn through the back of the tie. I am sure skilled folks over at Vanda can do it though.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

If its really that big a deal to you, you can probably have somebody local sew it on in a different fabric

8. Dib

Dib Senior member

gherrmann - before i ordered my first Vanda i was also put off by the lack of keeper. That said, several Vanda's in, i now really enjoy wearing ties without keepers and now no longer use keepers even on those ties that have them. Putting the tie into the keeper now feels unduly restrictive to me, particularly on lightly constructed ties such as Vandas which are designed to flow freely. I appreciate it's a matter of personal taste though!

It's not a question of whether they "can" do it. Vanda's house style is to make ties without keepers because they, like many others, feel it looks more elegant for the narrow end of the blade to be able to flow freely thereby making the keeper redundant. As such, all of their ties are made without keepers.

9. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I too have found that actually using the keeper on any tie makes the whole thing look stiff and awkward. The free-flowing narrow end has a relaxed Neapolitan feel to it that complements the hand-rolled and un-tipped edges.

10. FillW

FillW Senior member

I was able to do it like he does on the first try with the dimple and all. I used a couple of thrifted ties I bought in the last couple of weeks but I think they look good. I may get one of the nice Vanda ties and post a pic soon. [​IMG]

11. gherrmann

gherrmann Senior member

of course you are right, but that is more of a PITA than I care to suffer.

12. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Dammit Vanda, the newest ties are so amazing.

Just ordered 3 :hide:

13. unbelragazzo

14. Jfied23

Jfied23 Member

Wow...very pleased with my recent order from Vanda. Great quality...great value...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. unbelragazzo

Looks nice, J. So nobody wants to shoot the shit about the new Vanda MTO fabrics?

16. justinkapur

I think their new fabrics are awesome. The light blue herringbone looks amazing. I just bought 3 so I gotta hold off for a bit.

17. unbelragazzo

That one looks nice. I have a cpl other wool/linen blends from Vanda and they're fantastic.

There's more than 1 of those fabrics I'd like to make a SC out of.

18. justinkapur

Yea there were a few that would make some pretty badass SC's

I also like the light green linen fabric. I mean perfect for spring/summer

19. LaBowtie

LaBowtie Member

Are the ready made fabrics available for custom orders or just the ones under the 'order-made' necktie section?

20. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Just ordered some pocket squares from them, they really have some unique designs.