• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Vanda Fine Clothing Thread

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a tie binge copping day. First some HCs, now on to the lovely Vanda's (can't wait, and Singapore is so close).

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You're right. Here's the one I wore yesterday.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like multi-stripe/block stripe ties (I know there are some on the forum who don't categorically), I can highly recommend it. The wool silk blend has a great texture. Overall, it's typical Vanda: light, good drape, knots nicely. I did struggle a bit figuring out how to coordinate, but I think the final result worked out, although I'm uncertain about the square.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you like multi-stripe/block stripe ties (I know there are some on the forum who don't categorically), I can highly recommend it. The wool silk blend has a great texture. Overall, it's typical Vanda: light, good drape, knots nicely. I did struggle a bit figuring out how to coordinate, but I think the final result worked out, although I'm uncertain about the square.

Beige/Sand color square that has some blue/brown in it (a Drake's in last winter season). Actually, why not a purple of some sort. Would be different, but set off nicely against brown. Just two thoughts. I feel like the square looks too close to the brown (is it rust?), but hard to tell from the pic. Perhaps that's what you are thinking as well (a bit too matched)?

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The square is a brown/red/green madder from Hober. Similar to this but not in stock at the moment. I tried a beige Drake's and Vanda purple; the former seemed too matchy, and the latter was good but decided against it at the last moment. I also considered a green Drake's, which I think might have been the way to go.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The square is a brown/red/green madder from Hober. Similar to this but not in stock at the moment. I tried a beige Drake's and Vanda purple; the former seemed too matchy, and the latter was good but decided against it at the last moment. I also considered a green Drake's, which I think might have been the way to go.

Ah, the tie is beige not silver striped? I still like purple!

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the stripe is grey, but beige seemed too similar when next to brown and grey. Maybe it was just the particular square.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Donegal tweed tie by Vanda, made from a lightweight blue fabric I believe they had specially woven for them by Molloy & Sons.

Excellent stuff.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really nicely. It has a lightweight interlining, and from what I can tell, no padding (or at least near impossible to detect). The interlining controls the shell fabric well, but is thin enough to allow the fabric to dimple handsomely. Like with all of Vanda's ties, I find this one to be more "true" to the shell fabric itself, rather than be too stiff or beefy, like some maker's products.

Gerald and Diane really run an underrated operation.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really nicely. It has a lightweight interlining, and from what I can tell, no padding (or at least near impossible to detect). The interlining controls the shell fabric well, but is thin enough to allow the fabric to dimple handsomely. Like with all of Vanda's ties, I find this one to be more "true" to the shell fabric itself, rather than be too stiff or beefy, like some maker's products.

Gerald and Diane really run an underrated operation.

They have a lot of love on this forum and I know they have a good number of customers here. But they would be aided by more pics from said customers. It's helpful to see the ties in another context.

I asked about the knot because I picked up a Drake's rust donegal in one of the sales. The knot is, shall we say, substantial even though the tie is untipped. Perhaps it's partly the lining...

Square is lovely too, btw. Does it work well with the herringbone? I'm trying to think what squares would do well with a coat of that pattern.

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drake's ties can tie very badly in my experience. They're hit and miss. By contrast, the four Vanda ties I own tie perfectly and with ease. Something about the way they line them is really special. The only ties I own which are as good are Cappellis.

I do wish Vanda had more classic English fabrics though. I am sure they are limited by the small scale of their operation, so it would be benefit us all of their customer base grew.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads