The Official Vanda Fine Clothing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 7, 2011.

1. Dib

Dib Senior member

Beautiful - i can't seem to see this on the Vanda website, is this the slate blue grenadine they had a few months back?

2. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

I find it odd that they won't add a keeper if requested on a custom order. I also find it odd that the lack of a keeper is a deal breaker for you. I never use the keeper. I dislike the sprezzy small-blade-intentionally-pulled-to-the-side thing, but don't mind if it peeks out a bit at times. But to each his own. :)

I'm looking forward to the new Vanda collection launching Jan. 15. I don't own any of their products yet, but hope to soon. Just wish their standard length was a bit longer.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

3. gherrmann

gherrmann Senior member

I can understand why some folks don't mind the lack of a keeper, but I find it annoying and sloppy to have the back blade flopping around all the time. To each his own, indeed. I wish the Vanda folks would accommodate my preference, but I suppose it's their prerogative to decline to do so. Oh, well.

Incidentally, my recollection is that they will cut a longer tie for a slight upcharge if they still have uncut lengths of a particular fabric. When I bought a batch of ties from them way back when, I think they cut them all to 59 inches at my request.

4. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

How does Vanda compare with Sam Hober ties?

5. Dib

Dib Senior member

I have both and prefer my Vandas - they drape and knot better for me

6. applky

applky Senior member

Agreed.

As gherrmann says above, they'll customize your tie dimensions for you for a small fee (10 SGD I think). I get all my ties done from them in 3.25" x 59". Just send them an e-mail after you order and they'll send you a Paypal invoice for the fee.

7. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

I love this one.

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is this just a function of the lining? Vandas are unlined I think, but Hober's are, at least for the grenadines. The grenadine fabrics should be from the same source, yes, if proper grenadines?

What does a Vanda tie come to in USD's + ship?

9. applky

applky Senior member

Some Vandas are lined, actually (the product pages will say whether or not they are). The lining they use, though, is very lightweight springy pure wool. It's lighter than the lightest Hober lining that I've seen, so while it does add some structure, it doesn't mar their overall aesthetic.

Usually my Vandas are 100 to 120 USD, plus $14 for First Class International Delivery, which in my experience takes under a week. I tend to order two or three at a time, sometimes a pocket square, as the shipping fee is a flat rate.

10. Dib

Dib Senior member

The way a tie knots and drapes will be affected by a number of things. Lining (or the absence of it), is one of them, but others include: (i) the overall dimensions of the tie (not just at the tip of the blade, but all the way up the tie), (ii) the fabric used, (iii) the construction used (number of folds) etc.

That said, I have hobers and Vandas that have been made on a like for like basis (i.e. both unlined grenadines (using grenadine from the same source as you note)) and also prefer the way the Vandas drape and knot on those.

11. applky

applky Senior member

X-post from Epaulet thread.

Apologies for poor photo quality. iPhone went crazy with the SC fabric.

[​IMG]

Sedate for snow. Vanda H&S Blue Gunclub tie (incredibly, still available; one of my most worn).

Non-Vanda are Epaulet and Mercer.

12. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

This new grenadine dot tie is gorgeous:

[​IMG]

I might have to finally make my first Vanda purchase. :nodding:

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I love it too. I tend to wear it with blue suits and odd jackets:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. applky

applky Senior member

^ Wow @Gerry Nelson you may have just convinced me to buy it. How light or heavy is the fabric?

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

The fabric is quite heavy being donegal tweed but there's no lining (I'll check once I get home) so it makes the tie lighter.