1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Those are nice murses and great concept to reclaim the tweed from jackets. I'm actually in the market for something like this, though I have been looking at mostly leather or ballistic nylon options...tweed once again would win on the character note alone.

2. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Please do let me know if anyone hears of a good tweed messenger bag/brief case maker. I like the 'murse' and may get one but it isnt really big enough for what I mainly want.

Snoogz - I will take your comments on the durability of your tweed jackets as a sign that a tweed bag would probably last well, too.

3. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Since you found these on Etsy, why don't you ask the maker if they can make a bigger bag? I assume you want one that can fit a laptop? They would probably need to use material from two jackets to make it, but it could end up to be a pretty interesting two-tone design. That's the point of Etsy isn't it?

I'm looking at the smaller bags for use during conferences and networking events. As I find myself grasping my paper notebook and tablet in hand and fiddling with my phone taking calls and such. A mini messengers seems like a good solution to free up my hands, while not being bulky compared to my laptop bag, or backpack.

4. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

Get this heavy weight (600g/m²) tweed breeks today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and I am waiting for the shooting socks to try these wonderfull trousers.

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

DC those are beautiful.

Post a picture when you wear them in this thread!

Would love to see them in action!

1 person likes this.
  6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

:drool:

2 people like this.
  7. Gbg brouge

Gbg brouge Senior member

Went online yesterday to browse the Mears Bespoke webiste, and got a URL not found-message. Anyone who knows what has happened? Are they out of business? Victims of the Bookster crash?

8. velomane

velomane Senior member

9. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

It looks to me like they've updated their site, something they've needed to do for a while, and it looks good! I suspect that you just caught them between servers when you tried to log on. It works now.

10. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

Mears looks pretty sweet.

But tell me - does anyone actually go hunting in a 3 piece suit? Here in the US if you dressed like that, folks may start shooting at you.

I wish they had more tweed overcoats.

11. Gbg brouge

Gbg brouge Senior member

Sorry, guys, got a bit worked up there. [​IMG]

12. velomane

velomane Senior member

If you got burned by Bookster (as did I) who can blame you? FWIW, I bought a jacket from Mears a little while ago and I was satisfied with the jacket and their service.

2 people like this.
  13. Gbg brouge

Gbg brouge Senior member

I was about to order when I discovered that they were not shipping anything at all so that was in the nick of time. I had mail conversation with Lynne Mears and she promised to send me some swatches but they never arrived. I've sent her a reminder to see if she can sent it before Christmas.
    I've been looking att Tweed Addict also but I would like to see what Mears have to offer first and if you had a good experience that only strengthens my decision.
    Very nice jacket you got there!

14. mactire

mactire Senior member

How narrow-minded of them.

Here's a few geezers wearing tweed out:

http://www.cowanssporting.co.uk/articles/dressing-the-part.html
    http://www.positiveshooting.com/EquipmentandClothesGameMain.html

In my own experience soing bits of hiking and long walks or whatever I find wool to be far superior compared to technical fibres so I wouldn't be surprised if people do it. Mind you in the UK you have to pay for a days shooting so part of it is probably a dressing up for the day and all that.

1 person likes this.
  15. mactire

mactire Senior member

Who did you get these from? Look great btw.

16. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Polo Ralph Lauren tweed jacket and Fairisle sweater vest, Brooks Brothers OCBD, Hardy Amies wool tie, and Thomas Pink pocket square.....

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  17. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

Not in the vast majority of N. America. You can possibly find a shooting club or two in the East or a plantation down South were dressing formally for a day in the woods isn't looked at askance but the main problem is that the thorny, briar-laden N. American landscape doesn't lend itself to that sort of thing. However, there's nothing wrong with changing into a tweed suit for dinner and reflective libations after a day's shooting. I would, however, restrict such countryside dandyism to a group of my closest friends, ones that already know what a hopeless clothing nutcase I am. They would just nod sadly and humor me in my dotage . . .

2 people like this.
  18. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

OlSarge:

Your statement is indeed funny!

"I would, however, restrict such countryside dandyism to a group of my closest friends, ones that already know what a hopeless clothing nutcase I am. They would just nod sadly and humor me in my dotage "

I would suggest that the hunter demographic in the US is a bit different than the UK. Hunting probably tends to be more blue collar and rural folks here in the US.

19. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I'd wear a tweed jacket, maybe a vest too, but with brush pants and boots.

J

20. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

From Ebay.co.uk and the manufacturer ist http://www.tweedaddict.com/

2 people like this.