• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

MrSmith

Reaction score

went to tweedaddict.com today in search of a new 3 piece.. going for the blue and yellow overcheck tweed, shown

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You do realize its mostly the same poster across both sites and some of them gave up both SF and Andyland? And at its current state and mod, Andyland is a fringe horror forum not far from fedora lounge. SF isn't much better with influx of Reddit crowd.

This. AAAC has been dead for 5+ years. SF has many, many problems, but AAAC hasn't been a competitor for some time.

MrSmith

Reaction score
Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a 3 piece suit from Bookster in this Harris Tweed:

Now, I just have to settle back and wait for them to make it.

velomane

Reaction score

I don't know, I was overwrought with all the tweed. I can tell you that the picture doesn't do it justice, in the flesh it looked a very nice cloth, while previously when I saw a pic I didn't think much of it. who says the camera doesn't lie? always seems to wih fabric :/

EDIT

actually, found it here :  http://www.tweedaddict.com/2013/04/three-piece-tweed-suit-in-lovat-mill-teviot-cloth

Thanks for the link. I found the cloth after posting my question, but I missed that suit. Wow, that is exactly the sort of duds I would wear. Now, do I pull the trigger?

MrSmith

Reaction score
"Just ordered a 3 piece suit from Bookster in this Harris Tweed:
Now, I just have to settle back and wait for them to make it."

if you're lucky, by my reckoning maybe by 2014
nest.gif

"Thanks for the link. I found the cloth after posting my question, but I missed that suit. Wow, that is exactly the sort of duds I would wear. Now, do I pull the trigger?"

Silly Question
nod[1].gif

mactire

Reaction score
I may be posting in this thread merely to get the response I am looking for, but I need some advice. I am in the process of planning out my wedding attire, and I've figured out that from the waist down I'll be in dark denim and boots (likely Wolverine 1000s or some Red Wing Heritage). From the waist up, I am interested in doing a vest/blazer combination in (brown, or warm) tweed. I'm not set on both being tweed, as I've seen some combinations of tweed/solid that have looked pretty good.

When I asked this question on Reddit's MFA (I'm new here so I don't know what, if any, politics exist), I got the knee-jerk reaction of not pairing waistcoats with jeans. I understand that rule of thumb - shiny suit vests and jeans is bad news bears.

My pinterest page (pinterest.com/irishexpatriate/clothing-for-the-day/) includes quite a few examples of tweed blazers and waistcoats. Am I barking up a dangerous tree here? Was MFA correct? Do I need to follow any rules? Should I pair a cardigan with a tweed blazer? Help me out.

irishexpat,

A tweed jacket and waistcoat with trousers in a different cloth is a classic look. The trousers would be in a moleskin, corduroy, cotton drill or denim. Tweed and these other cloths developed as working clothes and thats why they are much less formal. Tweed is woven from a woolen-spun yarn which gives greater warmth and softness but the trade-off here is in terms of durability, as the trousers will never last as long as the jacket. As a result jackets would be worn with other clothing long after the original trousers of the suit had been worn out.

From your pinterest you may have an interest in Donegal Tweed, bear in mind that Donegal isn't a protected term unlike Harris, the real Donegal is made in Co. Donegal in Ireland (as you're probably aware), and the two main suppliers are Molloy & Sons and Magee.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do realize its mostly the same poster across both sites and some of them gave up both SF and Andyland? And at its current state and mod, Andyland is a fringe horror forum not far from fedora lounge. SF isn't much better with influx of Reddit crowd.

As a poster on both, AAAC is a little bit insular, and the frequent posters are older and a little more conservative. Also, WAYWRN is much more tangential to the forum, so I get the sense sometimes that it's a lot of armchair clotheshorses.

It doesn't quite have the highest level stuff SF does, but the lower traffic means slightly fewer totally clueless noobs. There's also a little bit less groupthink over there. If I'd started with SF, I don't think I'd have ever even clicked over there.

Now, an actual tweed question that's been on my mind:

I have two tweeds with black in the pattern -- a brown/black/gray stripe-y pattern, and a black/white Harris tweed herringbone. They both have black leather buttons. Since I'm almost always in shoes that are some shade of brown, does it make sense to switch the buttons, or would that be off with the black in the tweeds?

I think burgundy leather would look great on the Harris Tweed, but I'm not sure if I should go burgundy, dark brown, or tan on the brown tweed. Or should I just leave them as is?

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to get rid of most of my tweed collection. I ll be putting out new ones later this week so I need room in my lone closet :/

I ll be letting my tweeds go for $20 instead of $30 like listed in my ebay ads. (Over 30% off!) This is for SF members only. Sizes range all over the place so go check them out. I will also ship out next day if that helps your decision at all..

Let me know if you have any interest or questions

CP

irishexpat

Reaction score
I am interested in a brown herringbone in 46L.

I see you have one up now thats 50/50 wool/rayon. Do you have any other ones going up later that are 100% wool?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just ordered a 3 piece suit from Bookster in this Harris Tweed:

Now, I just have to settle back and wait for them to make it.

Received an e-mail today stating that Bookster was closing its operations and did not intend to refund my money.

Pissed.

Hopefully will get resolution/refund through my credit card company and/or paypal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads