• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't name the maker as yet, because I don't want to slag someone off for something that is not considered a problem by experienced jacket buyers.
I had a jacket made overseas in the UK (I was measured by a local tailor) and there were some major flaws in fit that had to be rectified by said local tailor.
These included shoulder width; had to be narrowed at least 1.5".
That is unfortunate, but can be put down to a possible mis-measurement at this end.
However, my main complaint is that my right pocket sits 1/4" higher than the left one.
I saw it before I measured it, and yet the maker claims not to see it (photo sent).
I will take and send more photos, including ones with a measuring tape.
I'm completely new to suits and suit jackets and so;
Am I out of line here?

cross posted over at Fedora Lounge

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a lot of tweed for someone who lives in Australia, tchoy. Have you made any of them up yet?

As you can see I love my tweeds, surprisingly some of the shetland are not too heavy at all. Our winters do get cold but it's short and nothing like Europe or North America. I did lived in Switzerland for a while and I travel a bit to colder climates.

I haven't make up any from these cloths as yet but planning to make up three jackets for the up coming winter.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As you can see I love my tweeds, surprisingly some of the shetland are not too heavy at all. Our winters do get cold but it's short and nothing like Europe or North America. I did lived in Switzerland for a while and I travel a bit to colder climates.

I haven't make up any from these cloths as yet but planning to make up three jackets for the up coming winter.

Hmmm...3 jackets for winter, eh? I'd have to go with the Prince's Tweed. Not super heavy cheviot that doesn't wear too warm. The brown of the houndstooth is really lovely. If you want super heavy the blue donegal is the one to go for. If you want to stick with medium weight I'd do the sky blue windowpane. The city gun club looks very nice, but I personally prefer the houndstooth. The city gun club may work better for Australia though.

Great cloths though! I have most of them and love them all.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a Molloy donegal that's often out-of-stock - Frank placed a special 12m order to get them to run it again.

I thought they got another run of the London Lounge barleycorn. Looks the same to me.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm...3 jackets for winter, eh? I'd have to go with the Prince's Tweed. Not super heavy cheviot that doesn't wear too warm. The brown of the houndstooth is really lovely. If you want super heavy the blue donegal is the one to go for. If you want to stick with medium weight I'd do the sky blue windowpane. The city gun club looks very nice, but I personally prefer the houndstooth. The city gun club may work better for Australia though.

Great cloths though! I have most of them and love them all.

After seeing image of your Prince Tweed and the sky blue window those two is a must, yours turn out great . The third choice is much harder I think you are correct the gun club will be more versatile for Australia.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you guys seen the insane tweeds on Ripper Street?

14db2d08f26f0faf5f0bb30682125f41.jpg

All those white shirts too. :inlove:

I have a couple of episodes on the DVR, I will dfinitely watch at least one episode just for the costuming.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'll be getting an overcoat made for next Winter and am trying to collect fabric samples. I hope to get an HE Box 32oz cavalry twill sent my way soon and was also wondering about heavyweight tweed fabrics in herringbone. I'm thinking Navy Blue, but would also be open to seeing some Dark Brown and Dark Gray.

Any suggestions?

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
So I'll be getting an overcoat made for next Winter and am trying to collect fabric samples. I hope to get an HE Box 32oz cavalry twill sent my way soon and was also wondering about heavyweight tweed fabrics in herringbone. I'm thinking Navy Blue, but would also be open to seeing some Dark Brown and Dark Gray.

Any suggestions?

No suggestions sadly, but can you post a pic of the HE Box 32 oz cavalry twill when you get it? I've been trying to get a good look at that as I'm also looking at a nice overcoat.

I Like Turtles

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a more modern Tweed jacket? Something similar to JCrew's ludlow, but not JCrew.

I want something with skinny lapels, but the majority of tweed jackets I've seen have wide lapels.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics