1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

It's a pic of a worker from epaulet. . . And he does the pants like that on purpose .... It's his style...

Edit-took out the name

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  2. velomane

velomane Senior member

As pointed out, no, not me. Although I admire his style, I can't bring myself to wear expensive shoes without socks. The idea just doesn't work for me.

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I would have thought the same before getting into the "biz" if you will. I know Mike does really hard to try and keep everything made inn the US with not terribly high markps It costs more to live here, so. It costs more to make things here. I'd rather pay more, and support a small American business that supports our economy than save a few bucks for cheaper manufacturing in places like china, Bangladesh, and Pakistan. It's not like paying designer prices that you see in dept stores that are made overseas in order to maximize profits, the cost to make decent garments in the US is high.

1 person likes this.
  4. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

That Epaulet grey Donegal is the one I have.

It was $600 odd when I got it which is roughly the same as an OTR Magee Donegal here in Dublin.

The Epaulet is a far superior jacket for the money IMO.

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The Epaulet is nice, but all of their jackets have a lapel that is just a hair too skinny IMO.

Great shop though, and great products.

6. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

Meant to also say if Epaulet is too pricey/modern there are tons of cheap vintage Donegals and Harris tweeds on ebay.co.uk

7. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

If you're not terribly tall or more than a 42 chest. For those of us slightly larger than that, the pickings are on the slim side.

1 person likes this.
  8. Willin

Willin Senior member

Can anyone attest to the general fit of the offerings on ebay uk? I'm not looking for a GQ slim cut but I feel as if the typical uk tweed is too dated.

9. MrSmith

MrSmith Well-Known Member

just missed out on these JohnBrocklehursts on fleabay, hope one of you guys snagged it

[​IMG]

10. MrSmith

Plus I LOVE this Epaulet jacket, hate to think what it costs

[​IMG]

11. MrSmith

I've found the sizes to be generous, e.g. if you're a 42 you'll wear a 40 no problems, and a lot of the better vendors have proper measurements

12. SBear

SBear Senior member

Watched the three part series on Harris Tweed. Thanks Man Of Lint. Fascinating and entertaining!

13. Tweedy

Tweedy Senior member

Check the measurements.. its the only way to ensure a good fit as all ebay sellers differ :)

14. Isbister

Isbister Senior member

A lot of it will date to the 70s or earlier, so will be dated in every way.

Fit is always a problem and jackets and coats are frequently incorrectly sized - it's something to be checked in detail with the vendor by asking for very precise measurements - chest, under-arm, collar to cuff, back etc.

Finding good stuff on ebay takes great perseverance and some luck. There is always the risk of moth and seams that are about to come apart, together with grime, filth and staining.

15. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

It depends. 70s and 80s jackets might well look very dated, but mid 60s cuts can look very sharp, if you like that look and many earlier ones will just look classic. the big difference is likely to be in 1. the weight of the tweed (heavier) and 2. with British stuff in particular, harder shoulders than some like these days.

16. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I actually really like the typical '70s cut, as long as the lapels are no more than about 3.75" and the detailing/cloth aren't totally bizarre. Nicely suppressed waist, medium-high gorge, buttoning point at waist, not too much drape. The American '60s stuff I've seen tends to be too sacklike, and the English stuff might be a little strong of shoulder for me.

17. Willin

Willin Senior member

So I picked up this Brooks Brothers brown herringbone tweed from ebay. It's due to arrive later this week. I'm not sure if I overpaid for it but I liked the look and hope it fits well. It's from 2007 but supposedly unworn. It has pretty much everything I was looking for but it's single vented when I would have preferred side vents. I'll settle for this one as it's difficult to find 100% exactly what I want. I'm hoping the ripple on the left shoulder as seen in the rear photo is not an issue. If all goes well I plan to wear this to my God-daughter's christening in October.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  18. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

I, too, prefer side vents but given that I'm expecting an unworn BB tweed jacket to arrive soon for $40 incl. shipping, I will happily live with a center. It's amazing what you can put up with when the price is right! [​IMG]

19. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

eBay? Share your secrets!

20. Willin

Willin Senior member

The real question is why BB produces so many coats without sidevents. Hopsack single vent style is whack.