1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. MrSmith

MrSmith Well-Known Member

I have spent a not inconsiderable amount of time driving around the internets looking for such a jacket with no joy. If you find a source please share with us. (Although tell me first before you mention it to these other tweed toting retrobates)

2. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

I don't know how your define "through the nose" but I would contact Mears and ask them what they can come up with. When you figure that their prices include VAT which is not charged to us here on the other side of the pond, I think their prices are remarkably reasonable.

3. MrSmith

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. MrSmith

as for myself, am considering this... although it being a bespoke puts me off a little

[​IMG]

5. Tweedy

Tweedy Senior member

Depending on your size, I have a number of Donegal tweed jackets .. some with ticket pocket .. prices £99-£120 ... all new with tags :)

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Oh, I've been watching--nothing just right yet, will keep watching :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Willin

Willin Senior member

Would you mind disclosing the manufacturer of these garments? Do you buy OTR, from ebay, or are they all bespoke?

I am having a heck of a time finding a decently cut double-vented tweed sport coat that is reasonably priced. I think we should list some reliable outlets for people in my situation who are trying to join the club. What are the best sources for tweed sport coats that aren't designed poorly?

8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Can US residents shop on EBay UK? I've never tried

9. Harvitz81

Harvitz81 Senior member

2nd tweed pickup is this Magee Tweed one. Wanted something a bit different and also wanted something with elbow patches and this fit the bill. Also am finding with my height (6'2") that 3 buttons work well.

Looking for a Harris next to compare the difference between the irish tweed. Can't wait for this to arrive (as well as the first charcoal/grey BB herringbone).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Harvitz81

Harvitz81 Senior member

That is where I picked up the above Magee Tweed. Just have to find a seller willing to ship to US. It is more expensive, but they have a greater selection of Donegal tweeds there.

11. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I tried on a few jackets from Edinburgh Woollen Mill, and they sell online. Not top tier or anything, but nice enough.

www.ewm.co.uk

(Edit: All appear to be side vented)

12. Willin

Willin Senior member

^I'm thinking more along the lines of a brooks brothers level of quality around $300-$500. Unfortunately BB offers basically no acceptable tweed products lately.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  13. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

14. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

What do you all think of the following dugdale saxony tweed (from this bunch: http://dugdalebros.com/Our-Ranges/The-White-Rose-Saxony-Bunch-144/)

Described as a Lovat with Lilac windowpane:
    http://dugdalebros.com/pub/assets/products/780_SRC_50b108c68daa0.jpg

This seems like a nice versatile cloth to me that would go with a variety of shirts and trousers. Would you all agree? I have a nice brown herringbone tweed jacket, and I'm looking for something different yet still versatile. Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Apologies if this appears earlier in this thread. I haven't the time to check.
    I know these have been posted before in other dicussion threads by myself and others, but for the sake of the newcomers and vetrans alike, it should be consolidated into this Tweed Appreciation thread. You may find this 3 part BBC Documentary about Harris Tweed quite interesting. Each of the 3 episodes runs approximately 60 minutes in length.

TWEED Part 1 of 3: Trouble Looms

[VIDEO][/VIDEO][/SPOILER]
    (Source )

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    (Source )

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    (Source http://vimeo.com/64708666)

Here also, is an interesting link:
    Tweed Guide – The Curiously Compelling Story of Tweed
    http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tweed-guide-harris-history-styles-patterns/

Enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  16. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

17. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Isn't 700 really high for an OTR tweed jacket/sportcoat?

18. velomane

velomane Senior member

Occasionally, Epaulet will have what they call a "Factory Finds" offer, where you can order a MTO jacket in a few select fabrics, generally for about $450. This is a half-canvassed Southwick jacket. Below is a pic of the grey Donegal with red fleck jacket that should be ready for me in about two weeks.
    [​IMG]

19. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

By my standards, yes, but there are always those willing to pay more for the privilege of paying more.

20. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

velomane, I sure hope that isn't a pic of you. Those pants are brutal.