1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. academe

academe Senior member

Thanks. I thought the elbow patches and football buttons added to the 'country' charm of the fabric, even though in all other respects (silhouette, cut, structure) this was very much a sharp 'city' jacket.

2. academe

academe Senior member

Yes; definitely wears warmer than a similar weight cloth of different provenance, which is just fine given where I live in Scotland. First time I've made something with 3-flapped patch pockets; definitely suits this cloth IMHO. The natural shoulders and open fronts/quarters give this acket a much more casual air.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

Lately I've been perusing the BBC production from the 70's of Ian Carmichael as Lord Peter Wimsey. What a style icon! In Five Red Herrings he wears a three-piece tweed suit in large glen check plaid that is dark olive or dark brown over olive. Smashing! Does anyone know if such a suiting is available anywhere these days? And preferably in 12-14 oz fabric. Anything heavier is ridiculous in SoCal!

4. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Flapped patch breast pocket... Good.

Do the pockets and pocket flaps have swelled edges / double stitching too?

5. academe

academe Senior member

No; bluff edges for the pockets and pocket flaps, so as not to disrupt the pattern matching.

6. dannybear

dannybear Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for a jacket similar to this one by burberry, I really like it but its a bit expensive for me, would anybody have any suggestions at anything similar that costs less than say $800? I had a look at suit supply but most of the similar ones had peak lapels and I'm fairly young so they wouldn't suit me

[​IMG]

7. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

I like this Albert, great look!

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Huh? Peak lapels are fashionable right now, and perfectly appropriate for a young guy.

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Meh, I think peak lapels on a tweed jacket are kinda weird.

Course, I think they look bad on just about everything aside from a tux or DB, so...

10. badsha

badsha Senior member

Was hoping someone here could help offer some suggestions. I am Los Angeles and it is pretty warm here throughout the year. Heavy Tweed 16oz is probably much too warm. Any suggestions on tweeds that are lighter or different cloth for pattern below:

[​IMG]

11. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Any real tweed is going to be warm in that climate. It's made for Scotland, remember. You could check out some of the faux tweeds, Worsted Alsport, etc.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

It really depends on where in LA. It gets chilly along the coast, and a tweed jacket isn't too warm for several months of the year. 16 oz is almost certainly overkill, though.

13. mymil

mymil Senior member

Those lapels! That gorge! [​IMG]

You could check out Bookster. Their lounge jacket is probably closest to what you want.

14. badsha

badsha Senior member

Thanks will look into it.

Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach area.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's exactly the area I'm talking about. I've comfortably worn tweed there in the fall, winter, and early spring.

16. forex

forex Senior member

You should check Breanish books, there is a pattern very similar to this one at around 10-12 oz weight.

17. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Minnis lambswool?

18. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

+1 on the Breanish Tweeds, also Holland and Sherry have a book call Sherry Tweed which is around 10-12 oz.

19. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

You need to drive down the 405 to Costa Mesa. MyTailor.com has their US headquarters about two blocks north of South Coast Plaza. Just go on in and ask Rishi to show you the Holland and Sherry and the W. Bill books of tweed and tell him you want something in the 12-14 oz range. I live in the Long Beach area and I am happy in my tweeds from about Nov. 1 to the end of March. Sometimes even into April. And if you find something you like in 16 oz that you just can't live without, tell him you want it 'buggy lined'. Taking out the lining allows the cloth to breath more easily and makes it a cooler wear. 12-14 oz., I would just have made up in the usual fashion. If you decide you like their choices and prices (which are most reasonable) make sure you have Joe measure you. He's the owner and a master.

Do not be misled by their website. They have an entire wall of suitings samples to choose from. The ones on their website are just the tip of the iceberg.

20. Tweedy

Tweedy Senior member