1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. MrSmith

MrSmith Well-Known Member

I can only agree. a solid blue or a blue with vertical stripe (soft red maybe? can't see the colours properly - pick a colour that is a minor colour from your jacket as the stripe) shirt would be better.
    A nice V neck thin jumper in a solid colour too would look good if you want to make it a bit more formal. I think you have the right idea with the jeans, try smart and worn to see what a difference it makes.

I love Kai's stuff - I want that overcoat - beautiful.

2. I am a lion

I am a lion Member

If I want tweed sports jackets for around a couple hundred euros plus tailoring where should I look? I didn't see any online places with 36L.

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

You can get nice vintage tweed jackets for less than that all the time on UK ebay.

4. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

36 Long? That's a tough one. Try Orvis.com or Lands End. The selection at LE isn't great but at least they'd have your size for the price you have in mind. Orvis will, too, but the price will be higher, though the selections is a tad better.

5. facet

facet Senior member

Awesome combo.

6. facebbook

facebbook Member

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

8. Moves

Moves Member

Thanks OlSarge. I'm doing all my shopping at thrift stores and have seen cords but don't know what to look for in moleskin. Will there be a marking or do I just have to know what they look and feel like? If not, thanks for the tip (soft, flannel, thick).

On that thrifting note, I bought my first scarf today. It's navy blue on one side and red on the other. It solves the problem I always had with sportcoats, in SoCal at least, which is; it's either too hot to wear them or too cold (due to the huge neck opening). A scarf fills that up! Can't wait to rock it.

Moves

9. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

Hmmm . . . I have doubts that you will find it in SoCal thrift stores but one never knows what the happy denizens will provide. But to identify moleskin? Well, the inside labels should say 100% cotton. The 'hand' will be the most luxurious flannel you ever encountered. I would say that if you find a pair of 'flannel' trousers that resemble velvet, those are the ones. Of course, I suppose you could always drive up to Lakewood and look at mine for an example.

10. Moves

Moves Member

Well, I went to another Goodwill this evening and felt all the khaki pants and one pair did feel quite magical, but alas, not my size. I don't know if they felt like velvet but definitely thick and very soft. I found another pair of Dockers there that were in-between these and a standard pair of Dockers and I got those. The best find was a pair of medium brown Rockport wingtips in pretty good shape! I'm going to take them to a cobbler and see what he can do.

Hmm... I work right next to the 91 fwy in east Anaheim and Lakewood is west for 30 minutes. I could be fun to meet for lunch in the middle if you like. The 1st So Cal Chapter Style Forum Tweed Appreciation Luncheon? [​IMG]

11. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

I've never been a fan of vertical striped shirts with tweed jackets, the stripe always seems to say city while the tweed says country. Incoherent combination, as Sr. Corbera might have said.

I have a light grey hand framed Shetland jumper I wear a lot under my tweeds in colder weather.

Last winter I was quite comfortable outside in a tweed jacket, thin jumper and heavy wool scarf during -7 celsius weather, as long as I was not standing still for any length of time.

OlSarge has given a good description of moleskin, which is a brushed cotton much like velvet with a shorter nap.

This was the best pic I could find online just now:

[​IMG]

12. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

Yes, that's the stuff. Comfortable and presentable for casual restauranting but wears like iron for woodsy fun and games. Its only drawback is that it's too warm for about eight months a year in SoCal. Should be just the ticket for York or Glasgow, though.

13. Moves

Moves Member

I'm afraid I'm too much of a noob to even know what a "jumper" is...

Yes, I can see my thick herringbone sportcoat + scarf probably getting me all the way through winter around here.

Nice pic of the moleskin. I see what you mean. There are definitely not many in a SoCal thrift store like that. I've been noticing a bunch of thick cord pants but they almost all have pleats.

14. ironduke

ironduke Senior member

That's all right since a jumper is a British word for a sweater.

15. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

Well, unless you're really young and really slim, pleated cords and tweed coats are a very good match. Of course, if you are, then you should avoid them. After all, one doesn't want to go around looking like Urkel . . .

16. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Meh, I'm very young and very slim, and it just takes a certain GTH air to pull off pleated pants -- if they're well-fitting pleated pants. I have a pair of forward-pleated sage green cords that taper dramatically to a fairly slim leg opening, and they look alright. That being said, I generally prefer flat fronts.

Moves: The moleskin they sell in drug stores to cut pads out of for corns and bunions is a cousin of the stuff the pants are made out of -- I don't want to say the exact same, since I'm not too familiar with real moleskin trousers myself, but it certainly seems similar. I think the foot-pad kind is a bit thicker.

17. Moves

Moves Member

I'm 39 and 215 lbs so no and no. But, I'm still trying to avoid pleats if I can.

18. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

I have a question for all the tweed enthusiasts: I am looking to have my first tweed SC made, and I am trying to decide between the following herringbone harris tweed fabrics:
    Olive

[​IMG]

Gray
    [​IMG]
    Reddish brown
    [​IMG]
    Light brown
    [​IMG]

My other two SCs for the moment are navy single-breasted (in the making) and houndstooth check in brown/olive color (this one:)

[​IMG]

My odd trousers are brown (mostly lighter), tan/khaki and gray. I am intending this as an outerwear piece for fall/spring. The gray and light brown seem to be a classic, although given my trousers, maybe the olive would work with all of them (and jeans).

For the configuration, my idea is 2-button single breasted with patch pockets (and barchetta breast pocket).

What do you guys think? How versatile are each of these colors?

19. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

Gray and light brown. Both are terrific and EASY to work with.

1 person likes this.
  20. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

^^+1^^

This is true. Start with greys. You can expand your collection as time passes but grey is the best first choice.

1 person likes this.