1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

fixed that for you...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1
    I miss you in WAYWRN. Don't care if Ive seen it before. :)
    :drool: where the hell is this from?

3. tweedydon

tweedydon Senior member

Thank you!

4. Renton

Renton Senior member

If it didn't stay 90 degrees until November, I'd gladly have nothing but tweed in my closet.

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

:) Thanks, Spoo. I was in MC Casual this week.

Edit: Oh and thanks, Parker! You provided the inspiration...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  6. Leonel Dante

Leonel Dante Well-Known Member

One of the nicest fabrics. Now I feel like getting a checked tweed jacket made!

7. JonathanCWalker

JonathanCWalker Senior member

8. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I couldn't get away with it but I like it!!

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

One day, someone knowledgeable will educate me on the actual definition of a tweed.

I've seen it used interchangeably for any roughly-finished rustic-looking fabric, be it a cheviot, donegal, thornproof, harris, etc, etc. Is that actually the case, or is there a more precise technical or geographical definition used within the textile world? More recently, it's also been used to describe blends of wool with other yarns even including stuff like angora and cashmere, which strike me as rather untweedy in feel but appear tweedy from distance.

In any event, leaving aside technicalities, I like the appearance of some of these country fabrics, though many generally come in too heavy a weight and too coarse a hand to be suitable for my own wardrobe needs. I do have a few jackets and a suit in the lighter stuff (14-ish and under) though, with a grey cheviot (I think it was a cheviot, from memory) currently being made up.

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    It's not a trademarked term - only certain geographical variants such as Harris Tweed are protected - so manufacturers can get away with almost anything these days, but fundamentally, it's not that it's 'rustic-looking' just that the wool is technically 'unfinished' sheep's wool twill fabric (historically from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and the Celtic fringes of England - it does seem to derive from rather ancient cloth-making techiques). So mixing in other kinds of finished wools or other materials does dilute the 'tweediness' but of course adds other qualities that are desirable to some. There are a lot of other people around who know far more than me though, I just like the stuff...

Quote:

Absolutely stunning.

11. Tweedy

Tweedy Senior member

Tweed is a rough, unfinished woollen fabric, of a soft, open, flexible texture, resembling cheviot or homespun, but more closely woven. It is made in either plain or twill weave and may have a check or herringbone pattern. Subdued, interesting colour effects (heather mixtures) are obtained by twisting together differently coloured woolen strands into a two- or three-ply yarn.

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mmmm....tweed. HF, that's a good question. I've always thought the one criteria of tweed is having a rough, unfinished hand. Stuff like Harris, Donegal and cheviot. I've seen much softer lambswool and even cashmere fabrics that look like tweed (e.g., herringbone) but I wouldn't really call them tweeds. I'm sure Manton or Sator would be able to explain the technical differences and what qualifies and what doesn't. I came across this stuff which looks kind of like a tweed but in an open hopsack weave. It's rough, but is it a tweed? I dunno.

[​IMG]

Here's a few tweeds I like. I guess these are mostly 'citified' in their simple color palette.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ Nice pics, but the pic of you in the OP is still my favorite. That tweed challenge was a good one.

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. Nonchalant

Nonchalant Member

Great thread Spoo....:nodding:

PSGuy- I picked up a couple tweeds from the Tweed Lady at Alameda a couple years ago but I hadn't seen her recently. Glad to hear she is still in the biz.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

EDIT: Cropped and color-corrected

2 people like this.
  17. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Second from right in the above picture, in action:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Gents, I am having trouble finding the perfect tweed from Bookster, all of the brown swatches have just a little too much green in them. Is having green with brown inherent with all tweed?

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

20. w. rabbit

w. rabbit Senior member

Suit and cap are in the Glenhunt dark brown HB tweed, did you check this? (I don't have better pictures of it, I think.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]