Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. apropos

apropos Senior member

It's single-width bra. He even explains it in his post.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

2. academe

academe Senior member

It's not really that nuts... London Lounge cloth is around £100/m for double-width fabric; £140 isn't so far off the mark...

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

He's basically asking you to imagine what the end-product looks like using 2 spools of yarn.

Also, if that sort of nerdy thing appeals to you, LL fabrics are IIRC all 2x2 ply. Breanish is 2x1.

Breanish is nice and soft though, very un-tweedy if that makes sense. Think a slightly coarser Moonbeam.

4. academe

academe Senior member

Ha! You're right of course. :facepalm: At least with LL fabrics you get to see the test samples, and you do of course have the added durability of 2X2. I dig the Moonbeam but it ain't tweed.

5. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

I have ordered some LL cloths, and while I can't fault the quality of them, for that money, I want designs that I simply cannot get anywhere else. I would never shell out £120/m for simple grey brisa, for example, when Minnis fresco will do 90% of the job for 50% of the money. I'm not convinced enough of the aesthetic quality of Crompton's proposal (especially without a swatch or preview) to shell out for this.

Also, I've become increasingly less impressed by Permanent Style. It started out as a good resource on how to look good for a reasonable amount of money. All of a sudden, this guy acquires a Huntsman suit, a Poole suit, a Choppin and Lodge suit, Cifonelli, Gieves and Hawkes, Everett and Rubinacci jackets, T&A shirts, Cleverley shoes and Loro Piana sweaters in the space of twelve months. I don't care is he's getting this stuff for free or paying for it (he doesn't mention it himself), but to me, it misses the original point. If I can spend the mean UK annual wage on clothing (which the total bill of the list above would approach), I can look good, no challenge there. I want to know how to look good on 10% of that. For that, I'll be looking at tweed at £40 a metre, not £140.

6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Take yr point about SC's evolution on PS but in his defense, it's there on the blog:
    DISCLOSURE

At Permanent Style, we only recommend brands and items that we buy ourselves or that we truly admire for their quality and craft. We may occasionally receive discounts that are not available to other customers, but there is no other commercial relationship other than the advertising displayed here and consultancy work for a few companies including Anderson & Sheppard, Lodger and Timothy Everest.

I kinda appreciate his focus on the high end stuff. I started with Cheaney and in months I was lusting after Lobbs.

recommend this blog - the Thrifty Gent http://thriftygent.com/

7. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Love the brown herringbone...does it come in a US 44R?

8. Tweedy

Tweedy Senior member

There are a number of brown herringbone Harris Tweed jackets in a 44 on the website, here's a link to all 44 chest fit tweeds :D

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Waiting to be made up one of these days...

[​IMG]

10. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

Scrumptious!.[​IMG] I have a hard time wearing pastel browns, and I would put that in the pastel category, but for the man with the proper complexion it's smashing!

11. dasai

dasai Senior member

I'm having a cap made up in a similar cloth. Hoping it's ready by the end of the year...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

12. Braughn

Braughn Member

13. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

14. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Butler is a sartorial pimp for the ages. 100% of the time, he looks like he just came back from an orgy and he's in fact headed off to another one, and he just stopped and posed for a few pics of his bespoke treasures solely for our edification before going another few rounds with some reckless blondes. Always smartly done.

15. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

[​IMG]