• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL THRIFT/DISCOUNT STORE FIT PIC BRAGGING THREAD

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations SZ38R, there are a lot of assholes on SF, but you are the first I've thought necessary to block. Maybe one day you will come out of your deep self-delusion, but I highly doubt it. Carry on gentlemen.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eazye: i complimented your style many times. encouraged your growth. didn't publicly make fun of your fits( even though i wanted to). i also offered you hospitality, and an olive branch, a chance to talk in person to understand our differences. . - and you wanna go and be a Dick like that?? over Buttons????? are you for real???
facepalm.gif
-am i surprised? no.

i posted where the urban myth of the last button came from, and dispelled it as a old wive's tale.

keep pretending you know it all. and i will keep enjoying new ways to wear my clothes. because any shlub can wear grey pants, a soft blue shirt, navy blazer and a brown grenadine tie. with brown lace-ups. = yawn.

but if you were a customer of mine? i would tell you to wear exactly that. as you want to look like everybody else, see? that's how i made money.
telling folks to wear boring clothes since you were in high school. now wearing whatever the f#*k i want to. and need no "approval" because dressing to "impress" unknown men on the internet is just weird. i only post to say , i'm wearing this and i don't care if you wouldn't wear the same. actually, it's better that way. you keep dressing like colonel mustard, and i will keep wearing a tie with jeans.

Towers: good try.......

Last edited:

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Guys let us just move forward, Kay?

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eazye: i complimented your style many times. encouraged your growth. didn't publicly make fun of your fits( even though i wanted to). i also offered you hospitality, and an olive branch, a chance to talk in person to understand our differences. . - and you wanna go and be a Dick like that?? over Buttons????? are you for real???
facepalm.gif
-am i surprised? no.

i posted where the urban myth of the last button came from, and dispelled it as a old wive's tale.

keep pretending you know it all. and i will keep enjoying new ways to wear my clothes. because any shlub can wear grey pants, a soft blue shirt, navy blazer and a brown grenadine tie. with brown lace-ups. = yawn.

but if you were a customer of mine? i would tell you to wear exactly that. as you want to look like everybody else, see? that's how i made money.
telling folks to wear boring clothes since you were in high school. now wearing whatever the f#*k i want to. and need no "approval" because dressing to "impress" unknown men on the internet is just weird. i only post to say , i'm wearing this and i don't care if you wouldn't wear the same. actually, it's better that way. you keep dressing like colonel mustard, and i will keep wearing a tie with jeans.

Towers: good try.......

Guys let us just move forward, Kay?

Congratulations SZ38R, there are a lot of assholes on SF, but you are the first I've thought necessary to block. Maybe one day you will come out of your deep self-delusion, but I highly doubt it. Carry on gentlemen.

lol8[1].gif
You're delusional. Learn how to tie a decent tie knot and then come talk to me.

Glad to see I am not the only one in a pissing match somehwere...
cheers.gif
But seriously, 38R, were you a "stylist" or something?

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a thrift fit pic?

FSC Isle of Man parka - Bought on sale
Hats of Ireland donegal scarf - true thrift by me
Made in England no name army sweater - (no vis) - true thrift by me
Lands End Harris Tweed gloves - 70% off sale
APC New Standards - true thrift by me
Alfred Sargent for J Crew boots - thrifted by tben traded to me
Filson 257 - 50% off (30% sale + 20% coupon stack!!)

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok so this isn't all thrifted but some people were asking for more "non suited" pics IIRC. This is what happens when MZ wakes up too late to don a suit and tie.

Eddie Bauer Down Sportsman's shop jacket - Clearance
Irish fisherman sweater - Thrifted by me
J. Brand Jeans - Patched and beat to hell by me.
Omega watch - purchased second hand at insanely low price by me
PRL boots - Clearance

And I'll add my .02 to this hornets nest...
So I agree with the never buttoning the bottom button. Whether it was an affected rule or just in people's heads it's become a fairly accepted practice of good dressing even beyond SF. Some Parisian tailors (Smalto) even make a straight button hole for the bottom button, as opposed to a keyhole, as a nod to the fact that it is not to be used. Whatever the case, I throw my lot in with those thieves who say it isn't to be fastened.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome! I have the same gloves. Might also share them later!!

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to see I am not the only one in a pissing match somehwere...
cheers.gif
But seriously, 38R, were you a "stylist" or something?
I worked in a "CM" retail environment. and for several years,i had to get every gent who walked in to buy a new suit, and give them the right advice. while they were over the $1200 mark. it was no Brioni. (i wish). and frankly, you need to know your **** to sell stuff.- especially to older guys who know. i learned on the job,(coming from SW&D) - from not only fellow staff members, and contacts. but also from the more knowledgable customers with many years of wearing CM under their belt. i learned fit,fabric,color,texture. as the rules. at one time my closet was something to be proud of. now limited, it is collecting time again.
nest.gif

i started thrifting because i simply could not afford the stuff i wanted. even at staff discount, it was expensive on a shop salary. so i learned what i wanted, and tried to thrift it. even wore thrifted stuff to work.. so flipping has never been on the radar. i love clothes. and loved helping the clueless guys who came in looking for either their first suit, or one for an interview. sometimes taking guys shopping in my own time to help them impress the girl they are chasing. (haircut,grooming tips, simple but nice fit) it was a fun job before university studies had to be done, doing other jobs while studying. and have now been thrifting nearly a decade.

these days, my style is a blend of all the things i like. and make no apologies for it.
members are welcome to disregard any help i offer. but arguing with me about it helps nobody. " let everybody decide for themselves on the information given". is my mantra.
while there are some fit's i would never wear, many rules are solid, and some are flexible. i believe buttons to be one of the latter. - sue me.
lol8[1].gif

great last few fits guys! gotta say, MZHammer killed it though.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahhhh man! I wish I can pull that off!
fing02[1].gif

Ok so this isn't all thrifted but some people were asking for more "non suited" pics IIRC. This is what happens when MZ wakes up too late to don a suit and tie.

Eddie Bauer Down Sportsman's shop jacket - Clearance
Irish fisherman sweater - Thrifted by me
J. Brand Jeans - Patched and beat to hell by me.
Omega watch - purchased second hand at insanely low price by me
PRL boots - Clearance

And I'll add my .02 to this hornets nest...
So I agree with the never buttoning the bottom button. Whether it was an affected rule or just in people's heads it's become a fairly accepted practice of good dressing even beyond SF. Some Parisian tailors (Smalto) even make a straight button hole for the bottom button, as opposed to a keyhole, as a nod to the fact that it is not to be used. Whatever the case, I throw my lot in with those thieves who say it isn't to be fastened.
That's a bad ass jacket!!!!!
fing02[1].gif

I like your hair, bro!

ilikethelights

Reaction score
I know I've posted a fit with this sweater before but I wear it frequently so whatever. Work bathroom shot today:

Sweater: Zegna (thrifted)
Shirt: Billy Reid (discount store)
Pants: Isaia (ebay)
Shoes: vintage Florsheim shells (ebay)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads