• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashville

Reaction score
I will go back tomorrow during lunch and see its its there,
confused.gif

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what I have here but I picked up these Church's custom grade wholecuts at Marshalls yesterday for $49.99. They were mixed in with the size 10s. They don't have a size tag but I usually run between a 7.5 and 8 D and these babies are a little narrow.

HPIM0198.jpg

Minkous

Reaction score
HOLY COW!!!!!!!! CHURCH'S at MARSHALLS, thats it i'm leaving right now to check my local Marshall's in hopes that i can get that lucky!
As for my contribution:
Paul Stuart FC Shirt $3.00
IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^At Marshall's?! Wow--fantastic find.

See if they have any more and flip them.

Good pick up on the PS shirt.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^At Marshall's?! Wow--fantastic find.

See if they have any more and flip them.

Good pick up on the PS shirt.

They were at the Marshalls in La Mirada, CA. I've seen some very nice Polo blazers with working button holes in the past there. I'll routinely check for good buys and put them up here at cost.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen churches at Marshalls but they were allways really weird models like red linen spectators.

Today I saw a purple velvet Lanvin suit. It was kinda awesome but was a 4 button DB and had the pants let down so there was a line on the fabric near the bottom. There were no manufacturer tags. Was Lanvin made in different places? Anyone have an idea of the value? Of course it was nowhere near my size. Probably a 38 or so.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
I don't know exactly what I have here but I picked up these Church's custom grade wholecuts at Marshalls yesterday for $49.99. They were mixed in with the size 10s. They don't have a size tag but I usually run between a 7.5 and 8 D and these babies are a little narrow.

HPIM0198.jpg

Damn. The best things I've seen at my Marshalls are Talbott ties.

Then again, it's Omaha.

Minkous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I've seen churches at Marshalls but they were allways really weird models like red linen spectators.

Today I saw a purple velvet Lanvin suit. It was kinda awesome but was a 4 button DB and had the pants let down so there was a line on the fabric near the bottom. There were no manufacturer tags. Was Lanvin made in different places? Anyone have an idea of the value? Of course it was nowhere near my size. Probably a 38 or so.

I found two LANVIN blazers today one was really dated (dark powder blue) and the other was a navy 100% camel hair and it fit me pretty well but for some reason i was feeling picky and decided i just didnt like it even tho it was only $8... does anyone else find themselves getting picky at the thrift store/goodwill?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minkous
... does anyone else find themselves getting picky at the thrift store/goodwill?

You'd better or you're going to end up with a bunch of junk fast. As you get more in your wardrobe you will upgrade and purge constantly.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those dated Lanvins sound interesting though probably just the licensed items. However, I would still like them if they were nice-looking period pieces in my size.

mbell

Reaction score
does anyone else find themselves getting picky at the thrift store/goodwill?

What AlanC said. I think you sort of go through stages when thrifting. At least I did. At first you buy anything that seems decent. Particularly if you are trying to fill out a wardrobe on a budget or if you really feel the need to leave the store with something. I was happy to get say Perry Ellis or Claiborne stuff. After you have been at it a while you might get overly picky and sneer at all but the high end stuff. When Van Heusen, RL Polo and Brioni shirts all cost about the same, your perspective gets pretty skewed. You eventually get into a good groove where you know what you want and it really is OK if you leave several stores in a row without buying anything.

Found some brown Oxxford pants for $6 the other day. They looked to be pretty recent. They are a little big. I'm trying to decide if I should have them tailored or give them to my brother. The waist would need to come in about 1 inch and the seat about 1.5 to 2 inches. I'm worried the legs will still be too big.

Same store had an Oxxford blazer, but I thought it was kinda ugly. Royal blue box like pattern over white.

The Ross near me never has much of anything worthwhile, but they got in a bunch of RL Polo belts. They were all marked at $20 with most having an original retail of $45-$70. I found one really nice one though that was originally $145.

mike

Nashville

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nashville
I will go back tomorrow during lunch and see its its there,
confused.gif

went back and the shirt was gone
blush.gif
but i found two great RLp shirts for the summer in great condition

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola

HPIM0198.jpg

Wow. thats awesome!
The best item I found this past weekend was a TJ Maxx....in the clearance section, there was a BEAUTIFUL Zegna tie...it was woven, pastel blue in color with a nice pattern. It was $7 and I snatched it up. I was walking to the checkout and I decided to check the tie thoroughly and there was a HUGE tear, about 2 inches long, right on the front of the tie. I know it was too good to be true.

Minkous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
What AlanC said. I think you sort of go through stages when thrifting. At least I did. At first you buy anything that seems decent. Particularly if you are trying to fill out a wardrobe on a budget or if you really feel the need to leave the store with something. I was happy to get say Perry Ellis or Claiborne stuff. After you have been at it a while you might get overly picky and sneer at all but the high end stuff. When Van Heusen, RL Polo and Brioni shirts all cost about the same, your perspective gets pretty skewed. You eventually get into a good groove where you know what you want and it really is OK if you leave several stores in a row without buying anything.

Found some brown Oxxford pants for $6 the other day. They looked to be pretty recent. They are a little big. I'm trying to decide if I should have them tailored or give them to my brother. The waist would need to come in about 1 inch and the seat about 1.5 to 2 inches. I'm worried the legs will still be too big.

Same store had an Oxxford blazer, but I thought it was kinda ugly. Royal blue box like pattern over white.

The Ross near me never has much of anything worthwhile, but they got in a bunch of RL Polo belts. They were all marked at $20 with most having an original retail of $45-$70. I found one really nice one though that was originally $145.

mike

Yeah at first i was stoked and recently i've found myself even turning down alot... i think ive been in this groove for a minute but today i bought Thomas Pink shirt (almost brand new for my dad), Charvet shirt (which when i got home i found out it doesnt fit), and an almost brand new Givenchy french cuff shirt (which is a smidge too short in the sleeve so i'ma sell it) Most of my finds will be in the B/S section later this week

Spudbunny

Reaction score
does anyone else find themselves getting picky at the thrift store/goodwill?

Originally Posted by mbell
What AlanC said. I think you sort of go through stages when thrifting. At least I did. At first you buy anything that seems decent. mike

I too have noticed I have been throwing back stuff lately: HF pants, a Ferre tie, a Polo sweater vest, a Zegna tie, and so on. I also threw back some shirts and pants that were just off in sizing. A year or two ago I would have bought them for the brand. I have concluded that I had too much tolerance when I started: for example, I wear a 16.5/35 shirt but I bought more than a few 34s or 16s just for the names. At first you don't notice the sleeve but soon....

Then there's stuff that can't tossed back:

Zegna charcoal suit
Zegna Z odd jacket
Barney's Italian suit
Crombie cashmere wool vintage jacket
Johnston of Elgin wool scarf
Zoran cashmere sweater
Pringle Italian merino sweater
Zegna pants, two or three pairs
Brioni pants

The Zegna suit was the dearest of the lot at $13. Maybe I should throw more back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads