• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pupatl

Reaction score
Re: Harris Tweed, I only pick them up anymore when they have a size tag...and a lot of them do not. Then of course weeding out the ones with any moth damage, I end up buying 1 out of 15 or 20 I come across. They tend to crop up around here (the South) in batches - see them in spades then gone for 6 or 8 months.

You must be near the south as well, to scare up a Muses shirt. I buy Gitman for myself when I see it and it fits; only Gitman Vintage to flip.

The red tag Tyrwhitt is probably the Sea Island Quality Cotton or whatever they call it now - typically among the more expensive of any of their shirts, and a nice find for CT stuff. Bonus if it includes the brass collar stays, which they usually do not, even though they all include them when bought new - people keep them when donating.

Atlanta as well, but don't worry I'm not really any competition for flippers. I go once a week for a few hours Saturday mornings on different routes close to home, mostly as a stress reliever. Yeah the GB for Muses I thought was a neat quasi-historic thing to have - as mentioned it has some weird fabric damage on the back right at the bottom (and on the *back* of the shirt, not the front), so it won't show when worn. I was thinking purchasing non-my-size-items strictly to potentially start trading on here as there are some items that I know are going to be very difficult to find in my size and so trading through this community will be easier.

Only one shirt in this particular batch still had the collar stays, one of the Brooks Brothers and they are only plastic (but with a nice silver BB logo
bored.gif
)

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last-minute tips for Berlin?

I remember someone saying the thrifting was terrible.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a massive haul when I went down to LA this past week for pleasure and work. My haul came from my clients and some consignment stores.
The great thing about this trip was not only the haul but also that I won $2500 playing cards, which covered my new Stoptech brakes and everything else with some $ leftover
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Will try to post pics when I can but brands such as:

Dsquared2 (3 shirts and 1 of the most awesome cardigan/coat/sweater thing), Kiton, 3 Brioni suits and 1 Brioni unstructured SC, Diana Von Furstenberg, Loub's, Sutor's, RLPL, Gant Michael Bastian, Isaia, MMM, Gucci, 5 pairs of women shoes, 1 womens handbag, Finamore, and more I can't remember.

Pretty much all is available and will be up on B&S or ebay unless if something is worked out.

Cheers

lurker[1].gif

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bounce2.gif

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bought 8 shirts on Saturday. I think that's the most I've ever bought in one trip - normally I buy like one or two items total. It's like someone close enough to my size forgot to pick up their dry cleaning. Did see what I think was a real Gianni Versace jacket/orphaned suit coat, but sadly the word most likely to have followed "real" in this particular case was "outdated". Still only buying for myself as not confident yet in my ability to find anything someone besides me would want. But - I saw more Harris Tweed than usual - I am not a huge fan but I know some guys on here are - are they always worth picking up in terms of interest on here, or are they relatively common? Not yet ready to start acquiring stock for trading but inching towards it.
Armani Exchange, vintage Banana Republic (2nd safari-esque in a week -it's more ivory than yellow), 2x Brooks Brothers Makers. Both the A|X and the Banana Republic have some condition issues - the BR is missing a button (from the middle of the sleeve which is why I didn't see it in the store - I couldn't figure out at first why the spare button was sewn into the middle of the sleeve and then realized it was missing a button on the other sleeve) and has been starched by a dry cleaner to the point of being able to stand on its own. The A|X has a tear that I did not see until I got home right at the bottom buttonhole, which should go unnoticed when I wear it since I tuck my shirt in. Yeah I know, A|X, but I like it.
Charles Tyrwhitt (french cuffs); Canali, Gitman Brothers (for Muses) and Lorenzini (with insane thick MOP buttons). The GB has some weird sort of pulls, way down at the bottom of the buttons and will not show when the shirt is tucked in. I may have to move the collar button on the Canali & Lorenzini a touch though I don't wear a tie that often so it may not matter or might use a collar extender rather than messing with moving the buttons. The blue/silver Lorenzini is my favorite (and was the first shirt I found at this particular store, prompting me to have to get a cart which was good as I racked up the other 7!).
You're doing it right. Just aim for things that fit you and fill a hole in your wardrobe (or are just too fantastic to leave). It probably won't take long to collect many more shirts and SCs than you need, then you'll have a better eye can start being more discriminating, and you'll surely re-donate some of this stuff. As you learn what you like, and what people on this thread like, you'll get a better sense of what's worth buying to flip.

hyakku

Reaction score
So I leave for a few months to get all lawyerly and we've got people in Ferrari's now?? Damn, I shouldn't have fallen off the wagon, I might've had a Bugatti had I stuck with it.

Good to be back though guys, glad to see people are still killing it and doing their thing. Back in NY this summer so I'll probably be doing a bit of thrifting here and there, but also gonna be looking to pick up some staples and maybe some new shoes/shirts. Ended up going through with my plan and finally gained a little weight and mass; the young man is getting grown :slayer: Hope everyone has been doing well, love seeing the posts up here again.

Shiny

Reaction score
Some finds:
I’ve found 2 staple navy blazers w/gold buttons in 2 weeks. Both in my size (!) One is a Pal Zileri one that will probably need liner repair. The other is a BB Brooksease that is 3 roll 2 with LP fabric. Because of this, I’ll make available another BB brooksease navy blazer that has served as a major workhorse for me in the trade thread (apolgies for the bad pix, but when I get something for me, I usually take a backseat pix then it goes to the dry cleaners)

Prada jeans, I think they are 36wx34.

Nice construction on this shirt and it may be a SWD fave, but not sure.

Older charcoal E Zegna suit. 48Rish, but untagged.

BB 1818 pin stripe navy suit with LP fabric. Tagged 48XL.

Best personal find in a long time: One of you dudes posted a Tincati suit recently. However, the one that was posted was made by Caruso, I think. This Tincati is made by St. Andrews. Maybe Tincati is like R. Lauren that gets several makers to do their stuff. Regardless, this is a great piece. Fully canvassed, 3 roll 2, coveted light grey color, split vents. My size! It did have a small hole in the back but I’m gonna get this reweaved because this is a color I really need.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
I'm no Spoo but I'll say real and gator, since it's missing the iso pores that croc skin has.

s_allen_p

Reaction score
Where would a NWOT, drop crotch, twisty legged pair of these rate on the rarity scale (in the US at least)?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was like ...

Made in China.

I felt a bit like the Anti-Foo. I left it.

This was five bux. Should I have kopped it? Andhurst. 40R. Cotton. A variety of alternating pastel stripes.

What would I wear it with?

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Dig, what you are wearing right there is fine with that jacket. I dig! COP IT!
fing02[1].gif

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some finds:
I’ve found 2 staple navy blazers w/gold buttons in 2 weeks. Both in my size (!) One is a Pal Zileri one that will probably need liner repair. The other is a BB Brooksease that is 3 roll 2 with LP fabric. Because of this, I’ll make available another BB brooksease navy blazer that has served as a major workhorse for me in the trade thread (apolgies for the bad pix, but when I get something for me, I usually take a backseat pix then it goes to the dry cleaners)

Prada jeans, I think they are 36wx34.

Nice construction on this shirt and it may be a SWD fave, but not sure.

BB 1818 pin stripe navy suit with LP fabric. Tagged 48XL.

Best personal find in a long time: One of you dudes posted a Tincati suit recently. However, the one that was posted was made by Caruso, I think. This Tincati is made by St. Andrews. Maybe Tincati is like R. Lauren that gets several makers to do their stuff. Regardless, this is a great piece. Fully canvassed, 3 roll 2, coveted light grey color, split vents. My size! It did have a small hole in the back but I’m gonna get this reweaved because this is a color I really need.

I've passed on these shirts before due to not my size. If they were, I would cop.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/descendant-of-thieves

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked like your average crazy when I found this. I actually shouted at this "what the **** are you doing here?!?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads