• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tumblr_lxhzyyg1eK1qa2j8co1_500.jpg

DB Blazer by Arnys.

Who knows how it made it all the way to LA. 

Plus a solid navy tie by Gianni Campagna.

Nice finds, YoungAmerican. By the way, Arnys is sold (or has been sold) in the US: http://www.robbreport.com/Wardrobe-A-Parisian-in-America.aspx?mpid=1

Congrats on the Bullseye launch. You convinced me to give Downton Abbey a try.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope all you brohams had a good holiday season.

I've got a number of things in search of new home. PM me with any interest/offers. I can assure you that the pricing on everything will be, uh, quite competitive.

First up is a mint condition, glenplaid Southwick for Patrick James suit. Marked 41R but fits smaller (more like a 38 or so). Mint condition. Marked a 41R, measurements are:

P2P: 20.5
S2S: 18
BOC: 30.5
Waist: 15 (split waistband with significant room to let out)
Inseam: 30, with 1 inch cuff, 1 additional inch to let out
Other deets: Single vent, double pleated, mint condition.

southwick1.jpg

southwick2.jpg

Second, mint condition/mint color Charles Tyrwhitt button down. French cuffs. Marked 16/34 (41/86)

ct1.jpg

http://ghostelephants.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ct2.jpg?w=700&h=[img][/SPOILER]

Third, a very nice Harris Tweed jacket, made by Lands End. In very good overall condition. Look at the jacket's coloring. Measurements are:

P2P: 22.25
S2S: 20
BOC: 31

[img]http://ghostelephants.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ht1.jpg?w=700&h=
ht2.jpg

Florsheim Imperial plain toe bluchers. Shell. Size 12A, but fit a bit wider - maybe a B or slim C (I'm a 10.5 D/E and my fit fits into the shoes pretty comfortably).

imperial.jpg

Allen Edmonds, Chester model. Size 7.5E. Recently recrafted, in good overall shape.

edmonds.jpg

Allen Edmonds, Berwick model. Size 10.5B. In near mint condition.

berwick.jpg

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tumblr_lxhzyyg1eK1qa2j8co1_500.jpg

DB Blazer by Arnys.
Who knows how it made it all the way to LA.
Plus a solid navy tie by Gianni Campagna.

I saw on putthison.com that it's not your size... What size is it, and are you selling it?

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a light gray, extremely soft flannel RLPL suit in fantastic condition. Too big for me (sized 44R) so up for sale/trade.

Pics and measurements below:

Jacket:
Chest - 23
Shoulder - 20
Length - 31
Sleeve - 25.5
3/2 Roll
Double-vented
Working lapel and boutonniere holder

Pants:

Inseam - 28 + 1.5 inch cuffs
Outseam - 39
Waist - tagged 38
Double forward pleats
Hidden coin pocket
Side adjusters and suspender button (no belt loops)

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
Man, I need to seriously bulk up! There are so many nice finds in here, sucks being 36R :/

Greg613

Reaction score

Greg, what Marshalls were you hitting? The ones in Roswell (near my job) are terrible.

We are probably talking about the same ones then. I tried the newish one on Holcomb Bridge in the Target shopping center and in Sandy Springs on Roswell Road. Polo was the best label I found. I am also going to check out the North Point and Dunwoody stores next weekend, so if I come across anything I will let you know unless you already tried them in which case let me know.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up a light gray, extremely soft flannel RLPL suit in fantastic condition.  Too big for me (sized 44R) so up for sale/trade.
Jacket:
Chest - 23
Shoulder - 20
Length - 31
Sleeve - 25.5
3/2 Roll
Double-vented

Pants:

Outseam - 39
Waist - tagged 38
Double forward pleats
Hidden coin pocket

Very respectable find. Those pants are super short, crazy short in fact. What a pity, but perhaps you could increase your possible revenue by removing the cuffs to get an extra 1.5 inches and perhaps there is an inch or two hem there that can be let out.

Whomever owned this suit, I struggle to understand his body. Super short legs but arms on the long side of regular. Very curious.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up a light gray, extremely soft flannel RLPL suit in fantastic condition.  Too big for me (sized 44R) so up for sale/trade.

Jacket:
Chest - 23
Shoulder - 20
Length - 31
Sleeve - 25.5
3/2 Roll
Double-vented

Pants:

Outseam - 39
Waist - tagged 38
Double forward pleats
Hidden coin pocket

It's a good thing pants are very short for me. Otherwise I would be seriously tempted. Flannel will show if you open up the cuffs.

Last edited:

Greg613

Reaction score

Interesting question for my fellow thrifters:
If a law were passed declaring that ALL donated clothing had to be stamped with a 'This item was donated' mark inside the garment, would you still thrift?
The question assumes you cannot wash away or otherwise remove the mark.

Yes, in fact I usually brag about my finds with my friends. But, even for those who don't share, who is going to know except you and your dry cleaner?

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Stopped at just one store today, needless to say, I am happy:

First Isaia piece. My camera added a bit more blue than it actually has. It's more of a navy, I would say. The Goodwill employees were removing all of the pink tags from the racks and had not gotten to the suits yet. I couldn't find the pants despite doing the standard teardown including dressing rooms and throw back racks. Oh well, it's possible to use as a standalone rather than strictly an orphan, right? How is this pattern described? Also, how do you date most factory tags? What panel tells you the date of manufacture?

54R (42?)
Double Vented
20" shoulder
22" p2p
25" arm length from seam to cuff
33" overall length from bottom of collar to bottom hem

Nice EZ shirt, though I wonder about it since the others I own are Made in Italy, while this is Made in Spain.

17/35

A Paul Smith Belt 32", too small for my waist. Very little use.

And some other belts from previous visits. Top to bottom: Pringle of Scotland, Coach, Allen Edmonds. All 36" and possibly worn only a few times.

As always, all are up for trade or sale.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats this worth, who wants it? I paid $20 for it in GW a while ago, would like to score some profit. It is in like NWOT condition

Size 56L, but fits typically 44 US size. Made in Switzerland, double vented, 3 button but a 3 roll 2. Spring / Summer cotton SC.

AP2AP - 23"
SH2SH - 20"
SH2SL - 26.5"
BC2H - 32.5"

Last edited:

rathebaindc

Reaction score
Found these at thrift stores, thought they were too good to pass up, would love to trade them for something that fits. Please PM if you have any interest.

Majer 100% cashmere navy blazer. 3 roll 2, two button cuffs, center vent, very soft, great lining. I suppose it measures to about a size 39/40R.
Chest: 21"
Shoulders: 17.5
Sleeve: 24 +.5"
Length from bottom of collar: 29.75"
IMG_2698-1.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

Land's End unstructured, partially lined cotton jacket. 3 button, dual rear vents, ticket pocket, throat latch, working sleeve buttons. Tagged Medium 38-40. All pockets are sewn shut.
Chest: 22"
Shoulders: 18.25
Sleeve: 25.25" +.75"
Length from bottom of collar: 29.5"
IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

Mario Ferretti suit made with 100% Loro Piana New Zealand Merino Super 130s wool. Tagged size 52/42, jacket is 3 button, dual vent, flap pockets. One vent is still basted shut.
Pants are single pleated, uncuffed, lined to knees, rubber strip on inside of waistband. Looks absolutely brand new, came on a quality Mario Ferretti hanger.
IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up a light gray, extremely soft flannel RLPL suit in fantastic condition. Too big for me (sized 44R) so up for sale/trade.

Jacket:
Chest - 23
Shoulder - 20
Length - 31
Sleeve - 25.5
3/2 Roll
Double-vented

Pants:

Outseam - 39
Waist - tagged 38
Double forward pleats
Hidden coin pocket

Nice score! If Achilles passes, I'll bite. If I nix the cuffs on the trousers, I can rock it.
Stopped at just one store today, needless to say, I am happy:

First Isaia piece. My camera added a bit more blue than it actually has. It's more of a navy, I would say. The Goodwill employees were removing all of the pink tags from the racks and had not gotten to the suits yet. I couldn't find the pants despite doing the standard teardown including dressing rooms and throw back racks. Oh well, it's possible to use as a standalone rather than strictly an orphan, right? How is this pattern described? Also, how do you date most factory tags? What panel tells you the date of manufacture?

54R (42?)
Double Vented
20" shoulder
22" p2p
25" arm length from seam to cuff
33" overall length from bottom of collar to bottom hem

That could very well be a sportcoat. The tag would date it between 2002-ish and 2006.
Whats this worth, who wants it? I paid $20 for it in GW a while ago
Nice! That's a pretty recent piece. Pretty sure is it a sc, but double check. At the very bottom of the fabric content/size tag on the left size it will say either Jacket (or Giacca) or Suit. Only has this on recent models. Makes it really easy to decide whether to turn the store upside-down for the trousers or not. If it is a sportcoat and is mint, you could likely get $60-$80. Looks like the second to the most recent label design, probably 3-4 years old. Sportcoats (unless cashmere or something crazy) don't fetch crazy numbers, but $60-$80 is still respectable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics