• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My most recent thrifting find. I admit to being a brand whore when it comes to modern cast iron.
z1781.jpg

Xenos

Reaction score
Is Lodge good? I have a few of those. Love them. Is all cast iron not the same, relatively speaking?

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, vintage cast iron is far superior. Lighter, made from better iron ore, smoother, machined interior rather than just a rough cast surface...all of which makes for better heat transfer and better nonstick performance when properly seasoned.

Get yourself an antique Griswold or Wagner, get it cleaned up and properly seasoned, and you won't look back.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Honestly, vintage cast iron is far superior. Lighter, made from better iron ore, smoother, machined interior rather than just a rough cast surface...all of which makes for better heat transfer and better nonstick performance when properly seasoned.

Get yourself an antique Griswold or Wagner, get it cleaned up and properly seasoned, and you won't look back.

The things you learn on SF.
smile.gif

JMayle

Reaction score
I've yet to see any good vintage cast iron in a thrift store, but I can't knock the Lodge stuff I already have.

Also it's somewhat recently been discovered that flaxseed oil is superior to any other oil when it comes to seasoning, at least according to Cook's Illustrated's rigorous testing.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've pretty much gave up on thrifting. Went to a few today and it was just depressing. Swung into my secret spot to possibly lift my spirits and it did the job. It's a small discount store that gets everything from junk (Kohls) to amazing designer stuff (45 RPM, stuff from Barneys, Ron Herman, Fred Segal, Bergdorf Goodman, etc) and it's all priced the same (basic thrift prices). Today was red and white pants day, I guess. Everything is NWT/NWOT. - RLPL red cotton trousers. 34 - RLPL white cotton trousers. 36 - Vestium Officina white trousers. Euro 50 - Bryan Husky white cotton trousers. Euro 48 - Garbadine red cotton trousers. Euro 48 - Filippa K white cotton shirt. XL - Steven Alan plaid L/S shirt. Small (Arrrg! Wish this were an XL!) - Paul Smith mainline S/S shirt.
DSC07235.jpg
DSC07236.jpg
DSC07237.jpg
DSC07238.jpg

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGloger
From what I've seen there isn't much to write home about; probably because nobody in Southern California likes to wear anything outside of jeans, shorts and t-shirts.

ffffuuuu.gif

This is true with most Californian thrift stores 90% jeans, shorts, t-shirts,... BUT when you do find something it is great condition. Many people buy a nice tie, wear it once and just end up donating it. When I do find a nice pair of shoes they rarely have been worn more than 2 or 3 times.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hornswaggler
I discovered there's a thrift store near my office today, and there are a couple nice suits that are too big for me (a 42R charcoal Oxxford, a 43R mid-grey RLPL), but are priced the same as the blown out polyester crap on the racks...

Should I be hoarding these to sell in B&S once I hit 45 days? If so, I'm going to have to go back there tonight.

**** YES!!!!!!!!!
that will finance at least a month of drinking

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About a month ago, Nataku was nice enough enough to sell me a beat up 1966 Omega Seamaster in pretty rough shape that he thrifted. Here's what it looked like when he sent it to me:
DSC06425.jpg
Here's what it's looks like after the jeweler put in a new crystal, cleaned up the innards, polished the case and put on a new strap:
DSC_0588.jpg
Thanks again, Nat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads