• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Found a pair of VERY lightly worn vintage Shark Skin Loafers size 8.5 i think
006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

This is the Kiton shirt i found in my size the other day
008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

MINT Norman Hilton super soft (may be cashmere) sport coat in my size 44r
004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

MINT Brooks Brothers Silk/linen blend sport coat in 48L
002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

MINT Orvis Spring/Summer jacket in 46L
001-1.jpg

lilmann40

Reaction score
And here's the few items I had questions on: I picked up this suit, looking to see if anybody has any info on the company...
003-13.jpg
Also, I picked up a sport coat and the tag has the following; wondering about this as well because I know so many jackets have Loro Piana fabric. The other tag says "Cedrics" in cursive.
007-9.jpg

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Worst day of thrifting ever.

I found a ton of stuff- all of it was damaged.

2 Zegna shirts that looked like somebody had urinated on them
Hermes tie that looked like it had been put in a toaster
Corneliani linen shirt that had a hole in the armpit
RLPL pants that had a huge pee stain around the crotch
Shell Aldens that were completely cracked down the heel of the right shoe

Oh, well. I guess you can't win them all.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lilmann40
And here's the few items I had questions on: I picked up this suit, looking to see if anybody has any info on the company...
003-13.jpg

It is a store brand suit from The Hub in Greensboro, NC. They used to have a store in Raleigh and it is a common label to see when thrifting there. I owned a few of their suits about 20 years ago and found them to be adequate. It's not flipping caliber, but if I liked the fit and material it is not a brand I would refuse to own.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justinsmnz
Wow, that's awesome. If you don't mid me asking, how much was the restoration?

$225.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
$225.

Interesting. I am waiting to pick up a tissot that I had the same work done to. They are charging me 400 for the same deal, plus a new crown. I felt like I was getting hosed but really could not base it on anything.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
About a month ago, Nataku was nice enough enough to sell me a beat up 1966 Omega Seamaster in pretty rough shape. Here's what it looked like when he sent it to me:

DSC06425.jpg

Here's what it's looks like after the jeweler put in a new crystal, cleaned up the innards, polished the case and put on a new strap:

DSC_0588.jpg

Thanks again, Nat!

This is a beautiful restoration job! Looks like a new watch and should last ages. The band is great as well.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Interesting. I am waiting to pick up a tissot that I had the same work done to. They are charging me 400 for the same deal, plus a new crown. I felt like I was getting hosed but really could not base it on anything.

Well, there are a lot of variables. I did get a new crown, which was a genuine Omega, but got just a generic crystal instead of doing a genuine Omega, which saved me a bunch. Plus, they were able to clean up some of the other interior gears rather than replace them. And I think they cut me a little bit of a deal because it took them about a week longer than they said it would. So I don't think you necessarily are getting ripped off.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
got something really cool today, (nataku you will like this). a vintage Panasonic tuner,now this is not worth much and its not particularly great sounding compared to the high end stuff...but just look at it. the pure art deco awesomeness of the car dial styling.made in japan and has a solid wood housing. all the knobs are there and the speakers were included all for ten bucks,sounds great too.
83.jpg
7c.jpg
7e.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SEVEN DAYS OF THRIFTING -- PART TWO

(Part I)

GHuPz.jpg

1. Suede slim-fit bomber (compare to the >$1,000 ToJ model
foo.gif
), Coach distressed leather belt, size 40. (Trying to find the best way to poke more holes/shorten)

UIbwF.jpg

Pyx1N.jpg

2. Canali polo (shiny!), Zegna Sport polo (garment dyed, slim), both size L. Found both at the outlet store, meaning everyone passed on them at the 'regular' Goodwills.
facepalm.gif

oCxM8.jpg

3. Cool Zegna Sport button-down, Size L, military pockets, hidden buttons.

EBTUR.jpg

4. Zegna SS button down and Zegna polo, both size L (can't tell from photos, but this is like the nicest polo I've ever seen. Sick buttons and absurdly shiny).

VWbNN.jpg

5. Aquascutum dress shirt (L-ish), NWT PRL popover...something, XXL.

ifZc7.jpg

6. Zegna, Lorenzini (my first!)

0A9QA.jpg

7. Pink (17.5-ish), BB Irish Linen, Donna Karan mainline (Not SF-worthy? But very expensive; this particular shirt rocks; great fabric, MOP, miles above DKNY, so I'm a little confused by the hate)

TiHMN.jpg

8. Facconable. First is a Large and up for trade. Quality seems to vary, but these look really great in person.

jKfy7.jpg

9. NWT Vestimenta, made in Italy, and a Scottish-wool vest from a brand I forget. My first foray into vests. I'm a bit scared.

UqW01.jpg

blaOZ.jpg

10. Couple of nice BB I'll list 4 cheep

hznBs.jpg

qAvya.jpg

11. Enrico Venturi and Victorinox (size L). New to me, but they seem nice.

This concludes part II of my seven day experiment. Critiques welcome!

smile.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
got something really cool today, (nataku you will like this). a vintage Panasonic tuner,now this is not worth much and its not particularly great sounding compared to the high end stuff...but just look at it. the pure art deco awesomeness of the car dial styling.made in japan and has a solid wood housing. all the knobs are there and the speakers were included all for ten bucks,sounds great too.
Wow - that is awesome! Love the automotive styling details!

madhatter349

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
So I've pretty much gave up on thrifting. Went to a few today and it was just depressing. Swung into my secret spot to possibly lift my spirits and it did the job. It's a small discount store that gets everything from junk (Kohls) to amazing designer stuff (45 RPM, stuff from Barneys, Ron Herman, Fred Segal, Bergdorf Goodman, etc) and it's all priced the same (basic thrift prices). Today was red and white pants day, I guess. Everything is NWT/NWOT.

- RLPL red cotton trousers. 34
- RLPL white cotton trousers. 36
- Vestium Officina white trousers. Euro 50
- Bryan Husky white cotton trousers. Euro 48
- Garbadine red cotton trousers. Euro 48
- Filippa K white cotton shirt. XL
- Steven Alan plaid L/S shirt. Small (Arrrg! Wish this were an XL!)
- Paul Smith mainline S/S shirt.

DSC07235.jpg

DSC07236.jpg

DSC07237.jpg

DSC07238.jpg

Those size 34 red pants look great, wish I could find something like that. Would love to wear those this spring.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
@ Noobizor your enthusiasm is infectious

Haha, thanks. I've just found every rare-ish book I could hope to find around here, so it was nice to discover you could do the same thing with clothes.

@ Aces watch: !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics