1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I found a baby blue "Net Jets" Loro Piana tie. Nicely structured and of course the fabric itself is very nice. I've done some searching. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, I can't seem to find too many Loro Piana ties. What are the chances that -- Warren Buffet endorsement aside -- I found something of actual value? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Those are 100% cashmere, and usually sell on eBay for about a hundred bucks, sometimes more with the box.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Sorry, buddy, but I think there is a North Carolina General Statute which requires that.

4. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

:)

5. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Oh my, I love that.

7. MattR

MattR Senior member

Either that or a medussa head

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

LOL, I think so! Though I will say that finding the pants for the Bizzochi and Isaia may have been the highlight of my thrifting year so far. I've had nice days, but this is beyond nice. No offense, but I'm sort of glad the Garland trip didn't work out. ;)

Just got home and finally hopped online... getting to PM's presently.

Brianpore - apologies, rest assured this is a highly unusual occurrence for me... For what it's worth, I don't see anything overtly fake - that's probably just an older tag. That is the location of the size tag on my Charvet shirts & pj's and the fonts look okay too. Buttons look like mine as well. I'd really guess it's just an older tag - Charvet is pretty rare so context is difficult. Not every garment is going to have quite the same level of pattern-matching - especially on an older shirt it might be possible for it to be a bit off.

For those asking - including via PM, please take this as your response, no offense - this was a private store, but that is all I'm going to say about it. It does NOT ordinarily produce to such an insane level though it is a reliable spot. Almost everything was clearly from one guy - no name anywhere or I'd be curiously Googling. This may not be as good as Nat's find a few years back when that whole store was full of gold after Pohlad passed, but it's the best I've seen.

After that ridiculous haul, I did show a couple of local family members a few labels and told them to keep an eye out for awhile. It's a super-long-shot that they'll remember, but after a blazing conflagration like this one there might be some smoldering remains scattered about.

Oh, and I'm super-psyched about this Edwin Nazario by Caruso. Patch pockets, still basted shut, in a super 150's... pure sechs. Really wish it fit me. Anyone have anything large by Caruso for trade? :devil:

Oh yeah... and I left three pairs of RL Polo Made in Italy pants, all cream. They wanted a bit much for them, but are folks interested in Polo Made in Italy pants / shirts? I've passed on them before, though this is the first time I've ever seen the Corneliani-made jackets.

Finally... is it bad that the first thing I thought when I saw the Versace Versus jacket was "OMG Spoo's going to love this?" :embar: I should have taken a phone pic despite the missing cuff buttons. Still don't understand why someone did that, the jacket was mint otherwise. :(

9. SpooPoker

:laugh: Thanks for thinking of me.

10. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Had a decent day today. fount a NWT Jack victor sport coat that fits me perfect no alterations needed! I know its not the best brand, but it fit fantastic and was 10 bucks. Also found a MINT VERY recent Oxxford flannel charcoal pinstriped suit jacket in 42R hoping that i'll find the pants in the next couple days. if not i think i can get my 10 bucks out of it. Also fount a mint recent eton dress shirt and a pair of mint suede driving shoes for myself. Also snagged a recently recrafted black pair of AE Park avenues in 11D, and a pair of alden burgandy cap toes in 11D which are both up for sale or trade:D

11. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

Probably still a $300+ SC for $10 NWT you can't beat that, especially when it fits.

12. amadar

amadar Senior member

A few recent finds, all for sale or trade:

Fray shirt.....size 18.5, french cuffs. First Fray I've ever seen - the thickness of these buttons is ridiculous - put Borrelli to shame.

[​IMG][​IMG]

NWOT (price tag string still attached) recent Brioni cotton pants. Size 36/31. Flat front, amazing fabric, very cool glenplaid lining.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Recent Zegna Trofeo Orphan. Size 52 Italian. Picked it up thinking it may work as a SC....light brown, birdseye/faint check pattern......thoughts?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

14. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

I'm tellin' you now!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  15. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

And a bow tie. Bow ties are cool.

16. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

A couple of decent finds especially for my neck of the woods.
    Charvet tie available
    [​IMG]
    Corneliani 44L available
    [​IMG]

17. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

If you dont want the Fray, I will want it ;)

Subject to pit and sleeve measurements.

I am typically an 18 collar, but I loathe baggy fitting shirts. If shirt has pit to pit (moderately stretched) of around 24" - 25", sleeve around 36", I am game and want this shirt. I have tons of shirts to trade for it, albeit it depends on your size.

18. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

That Fray is really nice-looking. You *want* to work a deal out with Klobber, though. :devil:

19. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

:cheers: If it works out for you as well we can flip a coin ;)
    I am happy to spread the love with others :inlove:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.