• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Decades
Seriously where do you guys thrift to find Aldens? Thrifting in smaller cities usually = bust.
+1 - Aldens are weird, I think - I used to OCCASIONALLY see them in Cleveland, but in Columbus I hadn't seen a pair until just recently, and even those were made for BB. I think it has to do with retailers and how long they've been there and so on - the only place in Columbus that sells Alden is essentially an orthopedic store with VERY limited stock / sales, whereas Cleveland had men's stores for YEARS that carried Alden, and there's currently two locations there to get them. Also two BB's up there compared to one down here.

Oh, and for locations, check your yellow pages. Seriously!
teacha.gif

tsacain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Yeah, god forbid you ever help someone here out by providing them with a nice item they might be otherwise unable to get, and most likely make some money for basically going to the post office!

I understand helping another out. But I can not afford to spend money on clothes I may sell and will end up donating back in a year. I will admit I find tons of nice clothing between the two stores I go to. But I only buy in my size because:
One: the two guys from Kenya I always see buy lots of **** to sell but mostly not nice clothing. They are both scraping by and I do not want to make a mistake and waste money I can not afford to.
Two: my closet can barely fit all the nice clothing/shoes I buy myself from thrift stores.
Three: I am new here and do not know many members. If I actually knew someone and what they liked I would probably not be fucked with a purchase. I just do nto want to try and buy something to be nice and end up getting shafted.

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I passed on a pretty nice blue Ferragama blazer in 38R last weekend because I'm still a bit fat for it. Maybe someone else might like it?

I might be interested. More details on it?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going back there Saturday and will take a closer look at it then, and get measurements and photos. It's at the high-end op shop I go to, and I have to ship from Australia, but I can probably get it to USA for around $100 (at cost - no margin for me).

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Not much luck this weekend on a couple stops, found a Cashmere Oxxford sport coat that had an obvious stain on the front and a Zegna leather belt and a Brooks Brothers nautical themed belt that were both a size too small for me which I kind of regret passing up now.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
saw a pair of cordovan brook brothers captoes in black. they costed about 100, worth it? they were my size too.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarcreamsoda
saw a pair of cordovan brook brothers captoes in black. they costed about 100, worth it? they were my size too.

Depends on how much wear they had...

TheBurnOut

Reaction score

You'd probably have a tough time flipping them but if they fit and you like them it sounds like a good deal (assuming they aren't wasted).

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I'm going back there Saturday and will take a closer look at it then, and get measurements and photos. It's at the high-end op shop I go to, and I have to ship from Australia, but I can probably get it to USA for around $100 (at cost - no margin for me).
I don't think I'd pay that much. Thanks anyway.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of finds over the last 2 weeks.

One is an old pair of Florsheim Imperial PTBs. I have finally confirmed with Florsheim that they are in fact SHELL! I don't think I'd ever even seen shell in a thrift store before this, and even though they were not my size
plain.gif
I knew it would be bad karma to leave them on the shelf. They could use a resole, but I'll probably be trying to sell or trade once I have an idea what they are worth. They're 12 C for everyone's reference.

Less than a week later, it turned out I was right about the karma. Found a pair of really nice condition Alden Shell cordovan LHS - the first Alden I've ever seen around here. They are almost my size, (them 11, me 10.5 E) so I'm going to try to wear them myself. No impressions in the footbed at all, which is usually my problem with thrifted shoes.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for your size, that's pretty good since you can look at them and evaluate in person. for resale there's not a ton of profit unless they're like new or better - at $100 you could lose money, even. but that's not a reason not to get them - randomness on ebay is too random, and these are RIGHT THERE and you can look at them. Honestly, finding rare stuff in your size is just too good and you should keep it unless the resale value is just TOO high, like with the $3000 loro piana coat.
laugh.gif
MikeH - nice finds! An 11D may work for a 10.5E - those are the lined version, right? If so, the lining will help somewhat.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsacain
I understand helping another out. But I can not afford to spend money on clothes I may sell and will end up donating back in a year. I will admit I find tons of nice clothing between the two stores I go to. But I only buy in my size because:
One: the two guys from Kenya I always see buy lots of **** to sell but mostly not nice clothing. They are both scraping by and I do not want to make a mistake and waste money I can not afford to.
Two: my closet can barely fit all the nice clothing/shoes I buy myself from thrift stores.
Three: I am new here and do not know many members. If I actually knew someone and what they liked I would probably not be fucked with a purchase. I just do nto want to try and buy something to be nice and end up getting shafted.

Well you could always just post pictures of the item and price in here, see if there's interest. I understand that people flake out alot but if it's a Borelli shirt with a nice design, someone will pick it up for sure. I for one am always looking for super small items: 36R jackets/suits, 14.5/33 shirts, 32 waist trousers, and 10.5 D shoes. Nice ties are always welcome as well! There are a bunch of others in here that have posted their sizes and are always looking to buy/trade.

But because of my tiny budget, I can't afford to pay $300 for a Zegna suit, you know? I suppose thrifting has spoiled me in that way. I'll always offer a pretty fair price compared to how much the person bought it for though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads