• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
So needless to say I'm leery of buying more suits w/o being able to try them on first.

This is why I prefer to buy suits in op shops instead of off ebay or B&S. Unlike eBay, I actually get to try them on and have a real good look at them. Sometimes I pay more than what people here seem to consider "thrift" prices, but only for the best stuff: Kiton, Zegna, Caruso, Brioni. These cost way more than $20-30, but are still way less than what I'd have to pay sight unseen on ebay.

For example, the Zegna I just bought was $200. However, it is in superb nick, a beautiful fabric, and requires no alterations. Typically when I buy a suit, it will cost around $80 to alter to fit just right. So, compared to a similar Zegna off ebay, it is still a great bargain.

I'll pay these prices because the shop I go to always has the top brands in stock, but sadly they know their real value. Going there saves a lot of messing about, and so is worth it

Sometimes I get real lucky and find great suit bargains in the littler shops. A Brioni for $80. Cantarelli, Canali, Corneliani and Chester Barrie for under $20. That's what makes the hunt fun; shopping at the pricey place is less fun, but more likely to pay off.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
For example, the Zegna I just bought was $200. A Brioni for $80
Yike, at those prices I'd never do anything other than maybe post something for an interest check unless it was something that'd be a guaranteed sell. Plus you're in AU, which adds a dimension. BTW, such shops as the one you describe don't even exist here either... there's one consignment shop that gets "higher end" stuff but they mostly have old Zegna ties and HSM GT suits.
ffffuuuu.gif
I'm surprised those Kitons haven't moved faster - I was seriously considering purchasing one until examining the measurements closely revealed they were too small. The comments about inseam length are right on target IMO, in general. Plus, your asking price is necessarily high due to the price you paid and the AU shipping, but the average B&S guy is just going to see that price, ignore the reasons, look at Ebay, which is of course cheaper, and close the post. My point (and that of most above, I think) is geared towards those lucky folks in certain areas of the US who might see a Kiton suit for $15 or a bunch of high-end shirts for 3 or 4 bucks each - when your cost is trivial like that, it's a different ballgame. And yes, such a find is rare enough that I wouldn't see it as a too-frequent hassle.
wink.gif

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
its funny how thrift shops and ebay have changed the face of retail

in a store a kiton,brioni, zegna suit sell for $1000's now due to thrift shops people dont see any reason why they should spend more than a couple of hundred.

to find a kiton suit in perfect condition for a couple hundred bucks is a real steal. less than that is a miracle, not an everyday occurence.

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
Since the weather is getting warmer, I recommend garage sales. They are hit or miss just like everything else, but it never hurts to make a 2 min pit stop. I have a brioni shirt up in good condition, and no bites, its crazy. Its getting to the point, where brioni, will be left behind if it does not fit me. That shirt might just be an exception.

I saw the canali and pal zileri suits, both NWT, still on the rack. They were about 60 bucks each. Drop me a pm if your interested in them, I can proxy. I can just text you bunch of pictures next time I am in the store.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
My point (and that of most above, I think) is geared towards those lucky folks in certain areas of the US who might see a Kiton suit for $15 or a bunch of high-end shirts for 3 or 4 bucks each - when your cost is trivial like that, it's a different ballgame. And yes, such a find is rare enough that I wouldn't see it as a too-frequent hassle.
wink.gif

If I see one, it will be $11.99 or less. But I have never seen one. Welcome to North Carolina.

Greg613

Reaction score
I just joined to say thank you to everyone for sharing their knowledge and finds. I have been reading through this thread for about two months and have read most of the pages. I have also had some nice pickups during that time, but not sure any of them are picture worthy.

Yesterday I picked up in my size one pair of AE Polo's Saddle Oxfords and a pair of AE Leeds that I am 98% sure are shell cordovan. Both also came with AE shoe trees. They are a little scuffed, but nothing a little elbow grease can't fix.

Some of my other best finds the last couple of months are:

Coats
Barney's house label raincoat
Larrimore's house label cashmere trench coat

Other Shoes
Calzoleria Harris Oxfords
Bruno Magli lace up boots
Florsheim Imperial Beatle Boots (My first purchase after finding this site. I regret these and bought based on the label)

Suits
Hickey Freemam Boardroom Collection (This taught me a good lesson. Turns out the pants were ripped beyond repair, but the coat is in perfect condition. I threw the pants away and have broken a couple of SF rules by wearing the coat without suit pants.)

Shirts
Several shirts from Ike Behar and Tom Baker.

Once again, thank you everyone for posting your finds, it really helps newbie's like myself. Hopefully one day I can find a Loro Piana leather coat.

datsunfan

Reaction score
This isn't clothing related, but I won my first auction at Goodwill. It's a Keuffel and Esser 68-1100 Deci-Lon slide rule. It's complete with the box and all the original paperwork.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
Plus, your asking price is necessarily high due to the price you paid and the AU shipping, but the average B&S guy is just going to see that price, ignore the reasons, look at Ebay
I checked eBay before setting my price. There is no Kiton suit out there cheaper than what I'm asking, AFAIK. I sold one of them over at AAAC, and the buyer posted raving about what a fantastic deal it was. So I simply am not accepting that I haven't set a fair price. Sorry, I'll shut up now and let the thread get back to discussing thrifts.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Snagged a pair of Thom Browne cap toe lace-up boots...

For women.
ffffuuuu.gif

Size 9, if anyone has a special ladyfriend in that size.

Also a green Canali polo-type shirt. It's shiny-delicious.

Also, what's the deal with fake Lacostes? They're EVERYWHERE!

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
i went to the local thrift shops, and i encountered alot of great stuff. i saw a vintage burberry double breasted suit in i think size 42 for about 90 dollars and a great zegna suit in size 40 for about 200. i passed on them because they are way too big on me.

im actually thinking about going back for them cause they are such great deals. perhaps put them on the BST forum?

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarcreamsoda
i went to the local thrift shops, and i encountered alot of great stuff. i saw a vintage burberry double breasted suit in i think size 42 for about 90 dollars and a great zegna suit in size 40 for about 200. i passed on them because they are way too big on me.

im actually thinking about going back for them cause they are such great deals. perhaps put them on the BST forum?

Not sure about that, seems like a pretty low chance you'll make any profit from those unless the zegna is very recent and in a very desirable cut and color. Seems like alot of people have been mixing up "thrifting" and "discount store" lately, they are two VERY different things. Thrifting = paying $5 for that zegna, discounting = $200. Changes what's worth buying to try and flip drastically.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
it looked like one of the newer zegna cuts but i dint pay too much attention to it. i dont mind not making a profit off of it. i like the idea of offering usually expensive clothing for an affordable pricepoint to those who dont have access to it usually.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarcreamsoda
it looked like one of the newer zegna cuts but i dint pay too much attention to it. i dont mind not making a profit off of it. i like the idea of offering usually expensive clothing for an affordable pricepoint to those who dont have access to it usually.

in that case, big up yaself, respect
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Seems like alot of people have been mixing up "thrifting" and "discount store" lately, they are two VERY different things. Thrifting = paying $5 for that zegna, discounting = $200. Changes what's worth buying to try and flip drastically.

Perhaps it's just the different countries, but I don't think that's a correct distinction. To me, a discount store sells new goods, mostly crap, but you may find high-end labels there if you're lucky. Here we call thrift shops op shops, and they sell donated goods for charity.

Prices vary wildly, and it's up to you to decide if it's cheap or not. I look at my finds and think about what I'd have to pay for them elsewhere, such as eBay, and then decide if it's a bargain. I don't have your mindset that there is a limit to what an op shop can charge.

I reckon $5 is a most unreasonable expectation to pay for a top-line suit in any circumstances and, if those are your expectations, it's not surprising that you are idasppointed a lot. You can't tell me that $80 is a high price to pay for a Brioni suit, no matter where you find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads