• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Went thrifting the other day:

- recent Brooks Brothers heavy wool full-length charcoal overcoat, brand new (still has store tag stub on it)
- Cool Armani seersucker-type jacket
- Few pairs of Zanella trousers
- Ferragamo tie
- Brooks Brothers brown laceup blutchers
- A few Armani suits
- Corneliani navy blazer with neat buttons, double vents, etc
- A few Hugo Boss suits
- Hugo Boss heavy wool peacoat/outer coat
- Two pairs of mint Theory jeans
- A few mint Armani Collezioni shirts
- Mint Loro Piana dress shirt
- Mint Canali dress shirt
- Mint John Varvatos shirt
- Mint CK Collection (black label) shirt
- Derek Rose for Bullock & Jones cotton flannel pyjamas
- NWOT recent Hugo Boss navy jacket (really nice actually)
- Mint Etro striped shirt
- Thomas Pink shirt
- Kate Spade shoes for the GF, if she wants them
- Couple bags of other ties and shirts

If you find something nice and desirable, but not NWOT or mint, do you still get it?

Say, a Brioni suit that shows a little wear and has a stain at the bottom of the sleeve under the buttons.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
If you find something nice and desirable, but not NWOT or mint, do you still get it?

Say, a Brioni suit that shows a little wear and has a stain at the bottom of the sleeve under the buttons.

It really depends on the item. I can remove collar/underarm stains from shirts 99% of the time. Same goes with other stains. More than half the time I can remove spots from suits or pants. Sometimes I'll have to sew on a button or two. Mid-level brands, I usually don't bother doing this with.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, I pick up high-end items that may need small repairs, because someone is always willing to do a little extra work to get a good deal.

I picked up a Brioni pure cashmere jacket for $20 that had a small 1/4" run/tear in the material on the back, but was otherwise mint - near new. Sold it on Ebay for $500ish and disclosed the damage in the description and in the photos. So, the person that bought the jacket knew they would need to have the fabric re-woven at a cost of $50-$100, but at the same time they got a $4,000 jacket for far far less than retail.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half off day at SA was good to me again. I picked up a vintage Harris Tweed overcoat that was from some long gone DC Custom shop. Incredibly well made with handstiched buttonholes and hand attached collar. Pockets are lined with a chamois type material. It looks unworn and leather buttons are perfect. I'm constantly amazed by the quality of some vintage stuff. It's just amazing. Especially since it fits 46L me which is unusual for vintage stuff.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Half off day at SA was good to me again. I picked up a vintage Harris Tweed overcoat that was from some long gone DC Custom shop. Incredibly well made with handstiched buttonholes and hand attached collar. Pockets are lined with a chamois type material. It looks unworn and leather buttons are perfect. I'm constantly amazed by the quality of some vintage stuff. It's just amazing. Especially since it fits 46L me which is unusual for vintage stuff.

That's a seriously good score
tounge.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack

Sounds like a great coat. All the better since you can wear it. That really is the hard part of thrifting. I can find 2 or 3 nice items a week, but finding something that I can use is very rare. Its even more difficult, I think, for bigger guys like you and me.

rezzor

Reaction score
It really depends on the item. I can remove collar/underarm stains from shirts 99% of the time. Same goes with other stains. More than half the time I can remove spots from suits or pants. Sometimes I'll have to sew on a button or two. Mid-level brands, I usually don't bother doing this with.

VMan - what's your preferred method of removing underarm stains. I've passed up a few otherwise very nice jackets because I thought the stain would not come out.

DuffAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rezzor
VMan - what's your preferred method of removing underarm stains. I've passed up a few otherwise very nice jackets because I thought the stain would not come out.

i was going to ask this also. and add, how are you getting out collar stain on shirts?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jackets or shirts? For shirts, I soak them in a concentrated Oxi-Clean solution, but this would damage a jacket.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing much today - just a wool tartan tie:
DSC01087.jpg
If anyone's name is Farquhar, let me know and I'll send it - it's the Farquhar tartan, apparently.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike

DSC01087.jpg

If anyone's name is Farquhar, let me know and I'll send it - it's the Farquhar tartan, apparently.

I have a number of vintage ties from The Scotch House. Good stuff.

rezzor

Reaction score
Jackets or shirts? For shirts, I soak them in a concentrated Oxi-Clean solution, but this would damage a jacket.

Got it on the shirts but was really wondering about jackets.

swb120

Reaction score
Good day today. I found two pairs of Allen Edmonds for $8 total, and a beautiful new-label 44R Brooks Brothers navy blazer.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it on the shirts but was really wondering about jackets.

Truthfully I have never seen an underarm stain on a jacket. Or, are you talking about the inside lining? I can usually get small spots out of wool by rubbing the spot with a concentrated oxi-clean solution on a cloth, and then dabbing again with a moist cloth - gets rid of the spot without damaging the fabric.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike

DSC01087.jpg

I'm not...but my sons are...from their mother's side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics