The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Passed up on a Liberty of London tie, was this a bad idea?

They're pretty famous for busy prints, this one was a purple paisley number

2. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

man to be honest, if i like the pattern i'd buy it regardless of brand. Ive seen a lot of expensive ties that look like shit, but have a few izod and roundtree and yorke ties that look awesome.

3. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

i like how you guys have accentuated the verticality of the space with those bars, and with those strong horizontal lines providing a certainly insouciant rhythm to the architecture.

[​IMG]

4. otc

otc Senior member

Really? Pants seem to be the one thing people are clueless about. I got all mine for a buck at Goodwill's $1 outlet store -- RLPLs and Zanellas that braved the rough waters of the $6 Goodwills.

[​IMG]

That's because I find pants to be a pain to look through. Usually hung in such a way that you can't see the label and often the size is hard to locate. Add in the fact that a lot of the pants fit super baggy (at least you can easily find the double pleats before looking any further) or have been hemmed too short to be useful...it starts to not pay off so well.

I might go through and grab at anything that looks like wool or has some obvious indicators (split curtain/incotex tab thing/etc) but I'll probably never find bills amongst the dockers.

5. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

...anyway got to see some boobies for free and got $250 in cash off the other chick for the table so not bad for a days work all before lunch.
    (ps i dont have pics of this,so it probably didnt happen)

Now my life officially sucks... [​IMG]

It depends. I used to work in a men's store that carried them and they were a fairly high-end brand back then but Target carried some last Spring. I don't think "Target" was indicated on them anywhere. The only giveway would be that they'd be very new looking but fairly narrow. Another hint is if they are brand new: the Targets here donate they're old inventory to Goodwill.

6. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

It depends. I used to work in a men's store that carried them and they were a fairly high-end brand back then but Target carried some last Spring. I don't think "Target" was indicated on them anywhere. The only giveway would be that they'd be very new looking but fairly narrow. Another hint is if they are brand new: the Targets here donate they're old inventory to Goodwill.

Ive seen a couple that say "for target" on them.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, the Liberty x Target labels do say "For Target" on them. They're an easy spot.

8. 951socal

951socal Senior member

They are not the target collaboration ones for sure. I remember looking at them in target, turned out my mom has the leather jacket from the mcqueen collab they bought when i visted her. and i bought a few of the william rast jeans and shirts

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Just found a Sea Island cotton Paul Stuart shirt in my size, good condition. Not a great score, but the nicest shirt I've found around here period and it was actually in wearable to boot.

10. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Picked up a NOS Sulka tie this afternoon. IT still has the price tag pinned to the narrow end priced at $25. If I'm interpreting the tag correctly, its from November of 1983.

11. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Senior member

I found a new goodwill outlet that sells stuff by the pound, its pretty far out, you guys recommend dropping by. I hear there is a bin there with like a million ties.

12. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The right two I'm sure are legit. The two on the left are tagged as if from the 70 - 80's and I'm not sure if they are the real thing.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Almost positive the baseball cap one is a fake. No detailing on the printed logo, looks like black blotches from what I can see. The two on the right look legit.

14. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Picked up a NOS Sulka tie this afternoon. IT still has the price tag pinned to the narrow end priced at $25. If I'm interpreting the tag correctly, its from November of 1983.

That's very cool.

15. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.