• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
^

Yes, I understand where he is coming from. HOw I waited a few weeks after and how my initial reaction was regarding the size. I am going to relist b/c although I think I've a case with paypal, I'm so fed up with this and I'm going to unload it for less than I paid for. Obviously I would fully disclose info but remember fellas, buyer beware and dont ever do personal payment.

Lesson learned.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^I think you lost some standing because you waited so long. If someone came back to me weeks later claiming an issue I would have a hard time refunding the money. From the seller's standpoint you could have an accident with them, and now you want to make an innocent seller eat it. I'm not accusing you of that, I'm just saying that would be my reaction. Now, it's very likely the seller knows he stuck you with problem shoes, but I don't really see any recourse for you. I would relist on SF with pics, fully disclosing the issue. Then I would leave honest feedback on the seller in the B&S feedback thread. And check all future purchases immediately for issues.
+1. I think that was the big mistake you made here. As a seller for almost 7 years this would be my reaction too. If they don't know you personally this would give them a good reason to think that you did the damage. A live and learn type of thing. When I sell and high-ticket item, I always follow up with a message including their tracking number and asking them to message me when the item arrives to assure it arrived ok and all is well (I didn't overlook and flaws).

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Don't feel bad - I've been going for 10 years now and have never seen a Tom Ford either.

I saw a TF suit tailored for a well-known celebrity about 18 months ago. They were asking $250 so I passed, but in hindsight I'd have made a chunk flipping it, to one of his groupies if nothing else...

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stopped by a couple of thrifts on my lunch break. no great finds. hell, no good finds. but one cool find: a custom sportsjacket from some tailor in San Francisco that had been made for Karl Malden. didn't get it because apparently Karl was a 44 or 45. there were also some hong kong custom suits for some guy whose name i didn't recognize, but must have been quite a sight. these things had to be 48 or 50, minimum, and i wear a 42 short and the sleeves were about 1-2 inches too short for me.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
I saw a TF suit tailored for a well-known celebrity about 18 months ago. They were asking $250 so I passed, but in hindsight I'd have made a chunk flipping it, to one of his groupies if nothing else...

Owch - definitely should have grabbed that!

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
both.jpg

Finally took some picks of the Henry Pooles I bought over the weekend. In case you want to buy them, they're about 42Rs.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanmj
Great finds, YoungAmerican. Too bad they don't fit you. I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling them though.

I bought two suits for myself on the trip - just half-canvassed MTM for a local mens' store, but really handsome suits. I look good in an old-fashioned flannel, so they suited. I did OK
smile.gif

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Couple stops today yielded the following:

Dolce & Gabbana Sport Coat
4 Burberry Shirts
Burberry Wool/Linen Pants
Rubinacci Sport shirt
Zegna Sport Shirt
Brunello Cucinelli Sport Shirt
John W. Nordstrom Loro Piana Cashmere Blazer
Allen Edmonds Bel Air Black in 11.5B
Ferragamo, Dunhill, Turnbull & Asser, Zegna ties.

firtree

Reaction score
Today I only had a few minutes to quickly go through one of the local Savers stores. Just as I was about to leave one shirt caught my eye. I walked out with a pristine Stefano Ricci shirt for $5, in my size! Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or sell it....

951socal

Reaction score
Went to a couple of places today, "came out of retirement"
nothing : S

passed on a moth bitten Valentino uomo suit in a 48 (38r) and a orphaned canali moth bitten double breasted coat

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Bit of a find while donating some things.
2s00e2c.jpg
54yqo4.jpg
Vintage Louis Vuitton Sac Plat, likely from before 1980 from some of the signs. 9.5/10 condition, IMO, with excellent patina. Retail on these new is just under $1200.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a beautiful LV suitcase at my favorite thrift. They got it appraised for $3500, and they're selling it for $2700. Oh well.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
There's a beautiful LV suitcase at my favorite thrift. They got it appraised for $3500, and they're selling it for $2700. Oh well.

Suitcase? You can probably do much better on eBay.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Bit of a find while donating some things.

2s00e2c.jpg

54yqo4.jpg

Vintage Louis Vuitton Sac Plat, likely from before 1980 from some of the signs. 9.5/10 condition, IMO, with excellent patina. Retail on these new is just under $1200.

An authentic Louis Vuitton item at a thrift is a rare find! Nice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads