Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Distinguished Member

^^
    ^

Yes, I understand where he is coming from. HOw I waited a few weeks after and how my initial reaction was regarding the size. I am going to relist b/c although I think I've a case with paypal, I'm so fed up with this and I'm going to unload it for less than I paid for. Obviously I would fully disclose info but remember fellas, buyer beware and dont ever do personal payment.

Lesson learned.

2. Nataku

Nataku Distinguished Member

^I think you lost some standing because you waited so long. If someone came back to me weeks later claiming an issue I would have a hard time refunding the money. From the seller's standpoint you could have an accident with them, and now you want to make an innocent seller eat it. I'm not accusing you of that, I'm just saying that would be my reaction. Now, it's very likely the seller knows he stuck you with problem shoes, but I don't really see any recourse for you. I would relist on SF with pics, fully disclosing the issue. Then I would leave honest feedback on the seller in the B&S feedback thread. And check all future purchases immediately for issues.
    +1. I think that was the big mistake you made here. As a seller for almost 7 years this would be my reaction too. If they don't know you personally this would give them a good reason to think that you did the damage. A live and learn type of thing. When I sell and high-ticket item, I always follow up with a message including their tracking number and asking them to message me when the item arrives to assure it arrived ok and all is well (I didn't overlook and flaws).

3. SimonC

SimonC Distinguished Member

Don't feel bad - I've been going for 10 years now and have never seen a Tom Ford either.

I saw a TF suit tailored for a well-known celebrity about 18 months ago. They were asking $250 so I passed, but in hindsight I'd have made a chunk flipping it, to one of his groupies if nothing else...

4. foodguy

foodguy Distinguished Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    stopped by a couple of thrifts on my lunch break. no great finds. hell, no good finds. but one cool find: a custom sportsjacket from some tailor in San Francisco that had been made for Karl Malden. didn't get it because apparently Karl was a 44 or 45. there were also some hong kong custom suits for some guy whose name i didn't recognize, but must have been quite a sight. these things had to be 48 or 50, minimum, and i wear a 42 short and the sleeves were about 1-2 inches too short for me.

5. Nataku

I saw a TF suit tailored for a well-known celebrity about 18 months ago. They were asking $250 so I passed, but in hindsight I'd have made a chunk flipping it, to one of his groupies if nothing else...

Owch - definitely should have grabbed that!

6. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

7. seanmj

seanmj Well-Known Member

8. YoungAmerican

Great finds, YoungAmerican. Too bad they don't fit you. I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling them though.

I bought two suits for myself on the trip - just half-canvassed MTM for a local mens' store, but really handsome suits. I look good in an old-fashioned flannel, so they suited. I did OK [​IMG].

9. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior Member

Couple stops today yielded the following:

Dolce & Gabbana Sport Coat
    4 Burberry Shirts
    Burberry Wool/Linen Pants
    Rubinacci Sport shirt
    Zegna Sport Shirt
    Brunello Cucinelli Sport Shirt
    John W. Nordstrom Loro Piana Cashmere Blazer
    Allen Edmonds Bel Air Black in 11.5B
    Ferragamo, Dunhill, Turnbull & Asser, Zegna ties.

10. firtree

firtree Member

Today I only had a few minutes to quickly go through one of the local Savers stores. Just as I was about to leave one shirt caught my eye. I walked out with a pristine Stefano Ricci shirt for $5, in my size! Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or sell it....

11. 951socal

951socal Senior Member

Went to a couple of places today, "came out of retirement"
    nothing : S

passed on a moth bitten Valentino uomo suit in a 48 (38r) and a orphaned canali moth bitten double breasted coat

12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Bit of a find while donating some things. [​IMG] [​IMG] Vintage Louis Vuitton Sac Plat, likely from before 1980 from some of the signs. 9.5/10 condition, IMO, with excellent patina. Retail on these new is just under $1200.

13. YoungAmerican

There's a beautiful LV suitcase at my favorite thrift. They got it appraised for $3500, and they're selling it for $2700. Oh well.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

There's a beautiful LV suitcase at my favorite thrift. They got it appraised for $3500, and they're selling it for $2700. Oh well.

Suitcase? You can probably do much better on eBay.

15. Nataku

Bit of a find while donating some things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage Louis Vuitton Sac Plat, likely from before 1980 from some of the signs. 9.5/10 condition, IMO, with excellent patina. Retail on these new is just under $1200.

An authentic Louis Vuitton item at a thrift is a rare find! Nice!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.