The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

It's a "luxury" brand. Brioni status

I wasn't sure. I saw a Ricci tie at the thrift store (when I picked up the NWT Burberry tie) and put it back.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

more ties: Massimo Bizzocchi, Band of Outsiders, Hermes, Ferragamo, Fairfax for Barneys and Lanvin;

Insane haul! Care to sell the Band of Outsiders?

3. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

That's how we learn, by leaving things behind and looking them up later on-line.
    I left behind a Hermes long sleeve shirt for $12 last year, that's how I
    got into this hobby. 2 weeks after I left it behind, that very same Hermes
    shirt (with a tear behind the collar) was sold by Nataku for $170 on Ebay.

Where's the smiley face with the light bulb over his head? Get it

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I left behind a Hermes long sleeve shirt for $12 last year, that's how I
    got into this hobby. 2 weeks after I left it behind, that very same Hermes
    shirt (with a tear behind the collar) was sold by Nataku for $170 on Ebay.

[​IMG]

5. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

Insane haul! Care to sell the Band of Outsiders?

Thanks, but I think I'll keep all, with the possible exception of the Hermes.

Band of Outsiders is a bit hip for my relatively conservative tastes. It's a brand I've only bought since I started thrifting. Just got my third BofO shirt this week and I'm wearing another one right now. Interesting sizing. The shirt I have on now is an XL and is very fitted. The shirt I bought this week is an XXL Tall and fits about like a regular Large oxford would fit.

6. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Thanks, but I think I'll keep all, with the possible exception of the Hermes. Band of Outsiders is a bit hip for my relatively conservative tastes. It's a brand I've only bought since I started thrifting. Just got my third BofO shirt this week and I'm wearing another one right now. Interesting sizing. The shirt I have on now is an XL and is very fitted. The shirt I bought this week is an XXL Tall and fits about like a regular Large oxford would fit.
    Xen How much did you pay for those ties each? I once saw a Massimo for $20

7. wcl

wcl Senior member

Picked up a pair of NWT Howard Yount trou today. Talk about a rare bird!! Also picked up a Flusser DB suit. Dead mint with LOTS of handwork. At one of my semi-annual stops I passed on a Dior Homme DB trench. Absolutely perfect except missing the belt. It would have been $150. I probably should have given it a shot, but I was just not feeling it.

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ You must live near an SFer.

9. TheODGuy

TheODGuy Senior member

Only one find today:

Lorenzini Dress Shirt (3.99)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Asath

Asath Member

Hey guys, I just had my first "find" at a thrift store. It's an 100% Cashmere blazer/sportscoat from Graham & Gunn. It doesn't really fit me and I was wondering if this item was flip-able?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. rx330

rx330 Active Member

Just a quick question: How much can one typically sell a good condition used Chester Barrie blazer/sportcoat for?

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Just a quick question: How much can one typically sell a good condition used Chester Barrie blazer/sportcoat for?

http://tinyurl.com/3pwbw38

[​IMG]

sorry. had to.

13. amadar

amadar Senior member

Anybody know anything about Gianfranco Ferre Couture suits? I've not heard much chatter about Ferre on SF. I passed a 6x2 DB the other day that appeared to be of very good quality, was definitely fully canvassed and nice material. Only thing that dated it was the lack of vents, but otherwise I would have picked it up.

14. Navi

Navi Senior member

Thanks, but I think I'll keep all, with the possible exception of the Hermes.

Band of Outsiders is a bit hip for my relatively conservative tastes. It's a brand I've only bought since I started thrifting. Just got my third BofO shirt this week and I'm wearing another one right now. Interesting sizing. The shirt I have on now is an XL and is very fitted. The shirt I bought this week is an XXL Tall and fits about like a regular Large oxford would fit.

I might be interested in the hermes depending on price. What are you thinking of asking? I love the design!

15. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Today was interesting: saw two Samuelsohn pieces for the first time. Both had holes in the sleeve cuffs and were older labels (black & red, no heart) so I left them. Definitely warmed my heart a little to see that SOMEONE in Ohio has heard of Sammy! [​IMG]

Also found a BB linen shirt (for me) and a pair of BB seersucker pants just in time for spring/summer.

Mostly, though, I found this Ferragamo scarf - the first fruits from all that searching the women's scarves. Still have never found a pocket square, but this thing is pretty neat. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, there's a couple of spots so I'm not real sure how it'd sell on ebay. Nothing major but I could see it scaring off picky-types.

I still don't understand why the middle has guys playing polo, though! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.