• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MqXVc.jpg
UgIHf.jpg
Total unmitigated book Appreciation meltdown!!! The first ever simultaneous hardcover/softcover release (the second was Infinite Jest in '99). This is the 1st sim. soft. Not really valuable (<$50), but the cover's identical, and it'll make a great reading copy. Plus, I already own the hardback.
devil.gif
inlove.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Gianluca is the diffusion line of Isaia, back when there were three lines of differing quality. Top was Enrico Isaia, middle was Gianluca Isaia (now Isaia Napoli) and Gianluca was at the bottom. Never seen it in person, but I'd imagine it to probably be on par with Z-Zegna. That coupled with it being black and unvented, you made a smart move to pass on it.

Thx nat

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Total unmitigated book Appreciation meltdown!!!

The first ever simultaneous hardcover/softcover release (the second was Infinite Jest in '99).

This is the 1st sim. soft. Not really valuable (<$50), but the cover's identical, and it'll make a great reading copy. Plus, I already own the hardback.
devil.gif

inlove.gif

I think I have that same edition, but after the four years of on and off attempts it took me to get through that thing, it doesn't so much look like that anymore. I would love to find another copy in good condition.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
^ Nice. It's rare to thrift gator/croc loafers that don't have that '80s super-low-vamp dated look. Those look wearable.

Yeah, the ones from the '80s had vamps that barely covered your toes. I think these are fairly recent and very wearable, though not for me. They're 10 D and will be in B&S in a few days.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
... Saw a killer western style SC from...Kenny Rogers !!! Absent were the sometimes annoying breadt pockets; just two large pockets at the waist, the tops shaped according to that westerny look. Dark wool. It looked and felt amazing, but -- is it worthless?

Yes; if you're thinking of flipping. As for personal use I see vintage western sportcoats on young hipsters all the time and I think it's a cool look. Just remember the golden rule of western wear: you are allowed to wear a maximum of two pieces at a time. Anything more than that is a costume, or you look like one of the hicks that even the people here in Dallas make fun of.

Originally Posted by Crows
I found a Kuhlman suit today...

DSC05459.jpg

Just in case anyone needs a reminder: I hereby call dibs on ALL Kuhlman suits and sportcoats in a size 46R. It's not Kiton or Brioni but I just absolutely love the look and fit of that stuff. The store here in Dallas lasted less than a year but I bought all that I could afford at the time. I still dream of a 6/3 (!) DB gray suit they sold but never got in my size.

Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
A pretty nice find today. A very lightly worn pair of RL Polo Alligator penny loafers. I'm pretty sure retail on these was around 2 grand.

Poloalli.jpg

worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

A suit from Anderson & Sheppard, double monk straps in brown, and a pair of alligator shoes are my holy grails. Those are absolutely gorgeous...

PS - the last pair I was watching on eBay eventually went for $358.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
mostly as a PSA for the belt shortening non-enlightened.

~snip~

The key is that this belt was something like a 40 or a 44. But by examining it, one can quickly tell that the buckle was held on with 3 stitches...remove those, cut off a few inches, make a new hole for the buckle, and stick back together. variations on this technique work on a majority of the belts you see--only a few designs make it truly hard to shorten (and some, like most reversable belts, make it really really easy).~snip~

Good call. I like to repair my own stuff, and I've replaced a stitched-on buckle on a belt before, but I haven't had good luck cutting new holes in leather. I'm okay with the holes I drilled into my chunky leather belt for jeans, but for a dressy belt that needs clean cuts, I'd take it to a cobbler who can do it easily for not much $$.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw today;

Stefano Ricci Suit (sz 49R) for $250
RLPL shirt $37 sz L
Burberry Prosum raincoat 42R $87.50
Stone Island Jacket sz L $160 (NWT $580)

didn't buy any of them....that was close

Xenos

Reaction score
One of my grail items. A Chester Barrie DB navy blazer. Bought an identical one a few months ago, but the size just didn't work.
4-15Pics002.jpg
4-15Pics003.jpg
4-15Pics004.jpg
4-15Pics001.jpg
4-15Pics006.jpg
Ties: Paul Stuart, Ben Silver, Stefano Ricci, Zegna, Michele Sartori, Kiton;
4-15Pics010.jpg
4-15Pics011.jpg
4-15Pics012.jpg
more ties: Massimo Bizzocchi, Band of Outsiders, Hermes, Ferragamo, Fairfax for Barneys and Lanvin;
4-15Pics007.jpg
4-15Pics008.jpg
4-15Pics009.jpg
and barely-worn AE Cliftons.
4-15Pics020.jpg
4-15Pics016.jpg

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
One of my grail items. A Chester Barrie DB navy blazer. Bought an identical one a few months ago, but the size just didn't work... Ties: Paul Stuart, Ben Silver, Stefano Ricci, Zegna, Michele Sartori, Kiton...more ties: Massimo Bizzocchi, Band of Outsiders, Hermes, Ferragamo, Fairfax for Barneys and Lanvin... and barely-worn AE Cliftons.

I am not worthy.
worship2.gif

TWO Chester Barrie's?! I've never even seen one in the wild. Any chance that the one that didn't work was remotely close to a 46R/L?

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
I am not worthy.
worship2.gif

TWO Chester Barrie's?! I've never even seen one in the wild. Any chance that the one that didn't work was remotely close to a 46R/L?

Yeah, you're right. That's pretty lucky. I found it pretty odd that it was the identical model with the same buttons, scarlet lining and everything. The first one was small. I'm a 40R and that one may have even been tagged a 40, but it was short. This one is tagged a 43 but my tailor can take it in quite nicely. Odd sizing.

(Also saw another Chester Barrie SC at a different store a few days ago, but it was pretty beaten up.)

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
is Stefano Ricci considered a decent brand?

It's a "luxury" brand. Brioni status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads