1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amadar

amadar Senior member

Score today. 2 NWOT (I normally don't throw out this term often, but these look unworn) recent E Zegna suits. Flat-fronts, side-vented. Like a lot of my recent finds, these will be staying with me - 52L Eu but fit fairly trim and are short enough lengthwise to work for me (I'm 6'1" but normally prefer a slightly shorter jacket).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Those are excellent finds. Too bad that 52L virtually unworn Zegna suits don't do so well around here. :(

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Damn....very nice!

Awhile back, I traded someone for some 'NWOT' pants. They arrived hemmed and cuffed. :facepalm:

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ There are a lot of NWOT trousers that I've come across that are hemmed/cuffed or both. Some came from a discount store. My guess is that they were in the alt. department of a store and were never claimed. Others were stone mint and looks like they were hemmed and then folded in a closet and never worn.

My gripe is the "NWOT stuff that arrives smelling like a old bar ( you know the type, they hold 50 years worth of tobacco smoke within the walls) and have fraying and chipped buttons.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Hmm, well that's something consider. These were obviously worn, though; I think wishful thinking sometimes gets the best of us.

I actually bought some real live NWT pants here that arrived smelling like an opium den, though for some reason, I thought that was pretty cool. :happy:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  7. amadar

amadar Senior member

Even more reason for me to keep them I guess!!......on that note, Spoo.....do you find that "L" lengths are tougher sells on SF? For some reason it seems rare to find them listed here, at least when i occasionally browse the b/s.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't really have all too much experience with them to say for sure. But probably, yeah.

9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Interesting find today. A pair of Charleston Khakis Corduroy pants in navy. Googled them and they are made by Berle. Retail appears to be $115.00 new. They are my size but I haven't tried them on yet. They were $4.99 with an additional 30% off.

http://www.dann-online.com/charleston_khakis Corduroy.htm

10. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

This probably won't impress many of you, but I was going through Target today and they had 4 clearance racks of men's clothes so I went over and found they were selling the kind of polos I wear for $2.50. They're regularly $10 and they're 60/40 cotton/polyester so it's not that huge of a deal, but they fit really well so I got a few.

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

that second suit is the bee's knees :slayer:

12. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

This wasn't your ordinary grease or ink stain. It looked like the bodily fluid kind.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Fate took a hand and there's been a reversal of sorts. You're stuck with me for a while. Thanks!

14. xudisco07

xudisco07 Senior member

I had my first trip to a thrift store and only found a tie. It's a Hermes knit tie, but I'm not sure if it is real. Can any of you experts help?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MattR

MattR Senior member

Slow ramblings lately, but finally a break in the clouds this afternoon.

Found a 40R BB Madison 1818 in dark charcoal. Damn near perfect condition.

It's a little longer on me than I'd like, so I'm willing to sell/trade if anyone is interested. Otherwise, I think I can pull it off.

pics to come (the significant other finally got her new camera, so I'll take some pics later).

16. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Is it a suit or orphaned suit coat?

17. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Ferragamo suede wingtips:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Couple of Borrelli shirts, in great shape (especially for dark colors - black and dark blue), but in a shape much too large for me. Let me know if there's any interest. No size tag but would posit about an 18-18.5. Sorry for the crappy pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a Charvet I'm wearing today. Odd color for me but stepping out of my comfort zone.

[​IMG]

18. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

can you let me know some measurements if you ever have a chance thanks

19. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

Two years of thrifting, saved a lot of money on the mall brand stuff I usually wear, but never ran across some of the top label names I see in this thread, until the last couple days. Scored, for myself in my size L: 1. Brioni dressy casual shirt, made in Italy. Subtle brown pattern, all cotton, feels almost like silk. 2. Hart Schaffner Marx dressy casual shirt, made in Italy. Charcoal, all cotton, feels like thin flannel. 3. Faconnable wool blend lumberjack shirt, button down collar with 3rd button in back. I also found a Loro Piana zippered cardigan, too big for me. I want to put it on B/S but I don't know how much to charge for it. It's a size 56, which I think is US 46, or about an XL. It is all cotton, very nice feel to it. Even has the name "Loro Piana" engraved into the zipper pulls. There are 2 zippers so the bottom can be unzipped a little for sitting. It has hand pockets. Here are some pics: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] What is a fair price for this?

20. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

99.999% it looks real to me. Great find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.