• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Perhaps I was less than clear. I was saying that Navi's was NOT dated, based on a side by side comparo with my dated lapels.

Sheesh!

Digmenow,you look like you could be on The Sopranos,Paulies cousin or something

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
I dunno, this thread's more pleasant without someone chiming in every five seconds to crap on someone's joy in finding a piece that interests them; especially under the auspices of 'helping out'. For every two people bored by making a living sifting through others' stuff, surely there's a hundred more equally bored by snipes that stem from that boredom...

Who's with me!?

Also, cheers to either Orgetorix or Mr. Midwester for sharing, on their blog, the tip on how to ID pearl buttoms by temperature(!). It came in handy

Also, just copped a 1st ed. Gravity's Rainbow. Suck it, plebez!

laugh.gif

Part of what I like about this thread is it seems more newbie friendly. I know I've spent a lot of money at thrifts finding out what I like. I'll buy a piece, wear it once or twice, and then realize there's no way in hell I'm going to wear it again, despite numerous vain efforts to pair it, and then I just give it back to Goodwill.

So, for me, the gorge looks to low on that jacket. But I only know that because I've bought, worn twice, and given back a few jackets whose quarters are too open, or whose shoulders are too tight, or whose gorge is too high, etc. Now I know what I like.

Also, double check your 1st Ed. info. It's 1st printing that's money, and a book that says "1st Edition" isn't always what you think. There's a book, something "Points," I forget the exact title, that lists how different publishers mark legitimate 1st Editions, and another book that lists typos, errors, etc. to verify any individual book (i.e. pg. 39, line 74 has "tired" for "timed"; thus, it's a legitimate first printing).

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
Digmenow,you look like you could be on The Sopranos,Paulies cousin or something
Hah! You're not the first to notice! This was two years ago, before I shed some tonnage.
252226d1249163616t-time-schedule-mother-all-gtgs-motivator419e6e5e7cfefd10636553f1023119f9674b787b.jpg
The hair in this pic has reached maximum growth and is soon to receive the attention of a trained professional.
IMG_20110402_083402.jpg
Sorry for the derail. Back to the treasure huntz.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Hah! You're not the first to notice! This was two years ago, before I shed some tonnage.

252226d1249163616t-time-schedule-mother-all-gtgs-motivator419e6e5e7cfefd10636553f1023119f9674b787b.jpg

The hair in this pic has reached maximum growth and is soon to receive the attention of a trained professional.

IMG_20110402_083402.jpg

Sorry for the derail. Back to the treasure huntz.

i didnt say its a bad thing!!!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
i didnt say its a bad thing!!!
I never take it as a bad thing and appreciated it this time, as well. My grandparents came over from Italy and I embrace the heritage that has determined my physical appearance.

The "fat" genes...not so much.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Trafalgar braces (solid navy) the other day, and it was the first time I'd ever seen brand name braces at that thrift. Somebody must have decided to clean out their closet though, because I passed on a couple of others. Cole Haan where I didn't really like the pattern (rectangles?) and the stragest, at least to my mind, a pair of PRL that were all elastic. The pattern on them wasn't bad, I'd just never seen a pair of all elastic that I would have said were decent. Am I missing something here?

Also grabbed a couple of ties. Polo and Liberty of London - both woven wool, I like 'em.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how I can determine if sleeves can be lengthened on a Sport Coat?

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
can anyone tell me how I can determine if sleeves can be lengthened on a Sport Coat?

Start at the end of the sleeve with one finger inside the sleeve and one outside. Now slide your pinched fingers up toward the shoulder. Your inside finger will slide onto the lining; keep going. At some point anywhere from one to about four inches up from the end of the cuff you will feel a bump. That's where the turned-under fabric ends. Now, you probably need an inch at minimum to stay turned under for the sleeve finishing and lining attachment. So, if there's three inches turned under, 3-1 = ~2 inches left to lengthen the sleeves.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mostly as a PSA for the belt shortening non-enlightened.

Picked up a belt at nordstrom rack. Nothing special, a joeseph abboud (retail is 70 but these probably sell every day at $30) belt for $16. Unlike the JA belts they had in the other sizes (which all felt crappy and cost twice as much), this one had really supple feeling leather and had clearly been marked down several times from the nordstrom rack price.

The key is that this belt was something like a 40 or a 44. But by examining it, one can quickly tell that the buckle was held on with 3 stitches...remove those, cut off a few inches, make a new hole for the buckle, and stick back together. variations on this technique work on a majority of the belts you see--only a few designs make it truly hard to shorten (and some, like most reversable belts, make it really really easy).

Better instructions and pictures in NOBD's thread (but the pictures are all imageshacked so you have to paste them into a browser.

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Start at the end of the sleeve with one finger inside the sleeve and one outside. Now slide your pinched fingers up toward the shoulder. Your inside finger will slide onto the lining; keep going. At some point anywhere from one to about four inches up from the end of the cuff you will feel a bump. That's where the turned-under fabric ends. Now, you probably need an inch at minimum to stay turned under for the sleeve finishing and lining attachment. So, if there's three inches turned under, 3-1 = ~2 inches left to lengthen the sleeves.
This is a used coat? One other thing to consider when looking at the sleeve - if a coat has been worn and cleaned more than a few times, the end of the sleeve might have some wear. If you add an inch to sleeve length you'll then have a faded/worn fabric line one inch up the sleeve. You can usually see this by rolling the end of the sleeve between two fingers to see if the fabric shows any discoloration.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by svd
This is a used coat? One other thing to consider when looking at the sleeve - if a coat has been worn and cleaned more than a few times, the end of the sleeve might have some wear. If you add an inch to sleeve length you'll then have a faded/worn fabric line one inch up the sleeve.

You can usually see this by rolling the end of the sleeve between two fingers to see if the fabric shows any discoloration.

Good point, I forgot about this. It will be especially noticeable with flannels and other fuzzy, nappy fabrics because the nap tends to wear away at the end of the sleeve.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeH
and the stragest, at least to my mind, a pair of PRL that were all elastic. The pattern on them wasn't bad, I'd just never seen a pair of all elastic that I would have said were decent. Am I missing something here?

Not missing anything. The ones with elastic front pieces are junk IMO.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a Robert Graham shirt... exactly identical to one I found quite awhile ago. Did a double take and checked the closet when I came home to make sure my wife didn't donate the other one.
laugh.gif

The real find: possibly the nicest piece of outerwear I've ever seen, a vintage chesterfield, black, made out of 100% mongolian cashmere. Mint shape except the cashmere tag is coming loose. This sucker has lots of hand sewing - buttonholes, buttons, collar, label, extensive pick stitching, and so on. Single vented, three buttons with a slight roll on the top one maybe. It was custom made for/by a shop in Columbus called Dunhill's - can't find any information on them, but they're obviously long gone. Not the most prominent thing ever, but it's really nifty in my book!

Here in Columbus it's very, very rare to see good outerwear (people use it to death, both literally and figuratively) so a cashmere chesterfield isn't something I've ever seen before, though I've seen cashmere coats. Would that it fit me; it's more like a 46 than a 48-50 like I need.
frown.gif

Pics of the coat (all but the first are thumbnails, click to enlarge):

P1060532.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads