The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rose04

rose04 Well-Known Member

I was bored, and have the Coach product DB in front of me so I decided to see if I could find that tie. Zero results, either that Coach tie is; 1. Fake 2. Pre-1975 3. Completely missing from the product DB. Now it's entirely possible it could be option 3, the 75-02 records aren't 100% complete, especially for licensed items (especially if it's a pre-outsourcing licensed item).
    Impressive! Who knew such a database existed? I know nothing about Coach. I’m inclined to believe it’s real – I’d think there’s a lot more money in fake purses than fake knit ties but who knows, any of your options could be correct. Such is the nature of the thrift store... If it’s real, I'd bet it’s probably outsourced.

2. JGLB

JGLB Member

Impressive! Who knew such a database existed? I know nothing about Coach. I'm inclined to believe it's real - I'd think there's a lot more money in fake purses than fake knit ties but who knows, any of your options could be correct. Such is the nature of the thrift store...

If it's real, I'd bet it's probably outsourced.

It's an internal DB, I should probably be able to narrow it down by the logo, but I tend to zone during those types of meetings.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Moo and Spoo, in what way exactly was that jacket dated? It looked fine to me. I don't think it worked for Navi's frame personally, maybe it was the funny mirrors, but the jacket itself, seemed ok. [​IMG] Not everyone likes giant pique lapels. Can you point out what is dated about it?

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

MoL, as has been said, we were talking about Dig's lapels, not these.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Now if we were talking about quarters... [​IMG]

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Thanks Moo, I didn't go back far enough on the thread.

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I dunno, this thread's more pleasant without someone chiming in every five seconds to crap on someone's joy in finding a piece that interests them; especially under the auspices of 'helping out'. For every two people bored by making a living sifting through others' stuff, surely there's a hundred more equally bored by snipes that stem from that boredom... Who's with me!? Also, cheers to either Orgetorix or Mr. Midwester for sharing, on their blog, the tip on how to ID pearl buttoms by temperature(!). It came in handy Also, just copped a 1st ed. Gravity's Rainbow. Suck it, plebez! [​IMG]

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

OK, no problem. Keep wearing outdated garbage because it was a dollar. I'm all for great finds and good deals, but some of the stuff here is NOT it.

9. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

^^ Oh, sweet! [​IMG]

Man, I find MAYBE one jacket/shirt a month that fits me. I like the jacket and think it will look pretty good with some work, sorry you don't but I wasn't buying it for you. Also I wasn't "writing home" about it, I was just shocked that it was there when I went back for kicks. I thought someone bought it.

If I wasn't such a small guy it wouldn't be anything to mention, but I'm tiny.

fair enough,if you like it thats all that counts

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I dunno, this thread's more pleasant without someone chiming in every five seconds to crap on someone's joy in finding a piece that interests them; especially under the auspices of 'helping out'. For every two people bored by making a living sifting through others' stuff, surely there's a hundred more equally bored by snipes that stem from that boredom...

Who's with me!?

Also, cheers to either Oregotrix or Mr. Midwester for sharing, on their blog, the tip on how to ID pearl buttoms by temperature(!). It came in handy

Also, just copped a 1st ed. Gravity's Rainbow. Suck it, plebez!

[​IMG]

lolwut - I commend Navi's find, and Dig never said he thrifted his - he said he found it in the back of his closet IIRC. Plus, his comment was posed to elicit responses such as this for validation.

11. mainy

mainy Senior member

OK, no problem. Keep wearing outdated garbage because it was a dollar. I'm all for great finds and good deals, but some of the stuff here is NOT it.

lol this

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Hmmm...I suppose the lapels are not as dated as I first thought, based on my 80's vintage S. V. herringbone SC.

[​IMG][​IMG]

No, they're dated. [​IMG]

Yep, dated. Sorry man.

edit: Wait, Spoo and Moo (lol), you guys were talking about my jacket right? Digmenow's lapels are SUPER dated, mine pale in comparison. [​IMG] At least the lapel notch isn't low.

Perhaps I was less than clear. I was saying that Navi's was NOT dated, based on a side by side comparo with my dated lapels.

Sheesh!

13. Navi

Navi Senior member

This is true, but there also is a good way to tell someone they bought a POS and a bad way to say it. Better to lean towards being gentle and teaching than scare off the new people. I enjoy posting things that I like in this thread, even if it's not top end. I do however have a problem with people posting like 30 pictures of EVERY ITEM THEY BOUGHT. Post a group photo or something. [​IMG] and yes Digmenow, your post could've been interpreted either way. Makes sense now. I see a ridiculous number of jackets with lapels like those though, lol. Also, anyone interested in this? Around a 37L, I'd wager. It's an Aquascutum suit with super soft wool. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

lolwut - I commend Navi's find, and Dig never said he thrifted his - he said he found it in the back of his closet IIRC. Plus, his comment was posed to elicit responses such as this for validation.
    Sorry, that wasn't aimed at anyone you mentioned; rather the whole mess of weirdness these last few days.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

But I've discovered a new place to find good clothes... Estate Sales!!!

Got a Kiton tie -- brand new -- for $15 and a Kiton suit (at a different Estate Sale) for $28. Also picked up a self-tie black bowtie by Robert Talbott for $1.

Amazing luck! I've had awful luck at estate sales. The ones in rich areas all want an arm and a leg for their stuff because they bought it new and know what it's worth.

48R American or European?

46-48 R/L American. Thread here.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=237437

today 2 brand new Brioni suits and a brand new Canali all 2 buttons[​IMG] [​IMG]
    (sorry guys)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.