The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Passed on 3 Oxxfords today due to a small hole in the back of one suit, one was just an orphan jacket ( w/ holes in the sleeve), and the third was probably do-able, but the pants were too long and would have had to have the crotch raised and I wasn't feelin' it. Nice to see Oxxfords again.

2. Navi

Navi Senior member

[​IMG]

vintage alexander julian bespoke
    lapel buttonhole looks handsewn, working sleeve buttons, harris tweed.

very very nice... love that fabric! what size is it?

3. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    [​IMG]

vintage alexander julian bespoke
    lapel buttonhole looks handsewn, working sleeve buttons, harris tweed.

Love good Alexander Julian stuff (pre-licensing) and that one is very nice! Great find! What size, approximately?

4. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

^^ Isn't that a woman's jacket? It appears to button on the left.

looks like a womans jacket to me.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Pretty sure I passed on this red tie last week after giving it a long look. Does it smell like and old man's aftershave? I picked up a blue Zegna from the same spot in pristine condition other than the smell. Any home remedy for getting the smell out of a tie?
    Put some dry unused coffee grounds in a ziplock bag. Place tie in bag. Zip shut. Leave it for a week. If it doesn't work, leave it for another week, etc. Instant coffee works too. Do not get the tie wet.

7. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

^^ Isn't that a woman's jacket? It appears to button on the left.

hate when that happens, i saw a really fancy looking thomas pink shirt then realized it was womans, so i picked up a ralph lauren and bought it, only to be told by my wife when i got home that it looks very feminine only to find out it was womens!!!!!

some thrift stores research their stuff on the net to overprice it, some cant even tell the difference between mens and womens!![​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

The key to the Van Ness store is to hit it multiple times a day. I'm fortunate to have a flexible schedule and to do my work over wireless so it makes it easy to stake out the suit racks there for flippable goods 3-5 times a day between working on the laptop at a nearby coffeeshop or having a bite at Zuni, a Vietnamese sandwich joint, etc. Great suits show up pretty much daily there. It's all about timing and being relentless because nothing lasts long. Selling is more the pain in the rear but I now have the girlfriend doing the flipping and she gets a cut. [​IMG]

That's a little more hardcore than I can handle. I'll take the occasional stumble-onto-a-great-suit approach over the check-it-five-times-a-day. Like I said, the VNGW is just too picked over.

Speaking of watching Cops, though: my favorite of the regular crazies is the tiny asian guy who's always squatting in the aisle between the pants and the SS shirts, ripping tags and changing clothes, like he's not out in the wide open. You'd think he'd be quicker, with so much practice, but he takes SO LONG to change shirts that he always gets caught.

And did I mention how much I hate you, Frenchy? Really, who the [​IMG] gets two Paul Smith PSs magically slipped into his bag!?

9. ruben

ruben Senior member

BBC- were those chukkas on ebay?

I was watching them for a few days until I saw the "B" n the size.

10. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

some thrift stores research their stuff on the net to overprice it,

Funny thing is the stores by me over price alot of the macys CRAP like lauren by ralph lauren shirts for like 12 dollars, but i bought a stefano ricci shirt for 1/3 that lol!

11. mainy

mainy Senior member

Love good Alexander Julian stuff (pre-licensing) and that one is very nice! Great find! What size, approximately?

Slim 38, maybe a 37. The knock is that it's unvented, but whatever, still really neat.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...6&d=1302568958 After doing some checking, the Diplomat is a Church's model, right?
    Yes, they are made by Church's. I have a pair myself (not thrifted). Defnitely keep those, they are beautiful shoes. Make sure you use your shoe trees too.

13. davesmith

Funny thing is the stores by me over price alot of the macys CRAP like lauren by ralph lauren shirts for like 12 dollars, but i bought a stefano ricci shirt for 1/3 that lol!

i posted earlier that i have seen a few geoffrey beene and kenneth cole ties for $40 in a thrift shop... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i think the funniest thing i have seen is a bunch of clown ties like this [​IMG] with the hermes ties, just because their patterns are also wacky... price, i hear you ask, $45!!!!

14. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

i posted earlier that i have seen a few geoffrey beene and kenneth cole ties for $40 in a thrift shop... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i think the funniest thing i have seen is a bunch of clown ties like this [​IMG] with the hermes ties, just because their patterns are also wacky... price, i hear you ask, $45!!!!

How the fuck is that thrifty? lol you get get those for like 7.99 @ ross.

15. davesmith

How the fuck is that thrifty? lol you get get those for like 7.99 @ ross.

so i'd expect at the most $2 in a thrift shop but not where i go, those bastards know how to charge and all in the name of charity,,, hahaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.