The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I'm usually not a fan of Barbera stuff but that sweater is gorgeous!

2. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Haha, FASHION! I've limited myself to the secret Goodwill (everything $1); but apparently, their MO is to sell secretly baller items. Snagged a couple of low-key James Perse shirts. Retail: $200. But why? (And who feels compelled to buy their $100 T-shirts? Do they make you taller or something? Didn't even pony up a buck for those :-/ )

Also some khaki-ish summer-weight wool Incotex, waist 42. Damn you, South Beach Diet!

@Tyrone: Pants look pretty slim, to me. Nice suit, and it looks like it fits.

@Navi: Kiler wool and linen ties!

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Nada again today... hoping I don't sink into 0-for-30+trips hell again. [​IMG]

What's with everyone finding recent Zegna ties lately? Seems like they're getting more common - when did that "selvedge" label come in? I've only ever seen two, but they blow away the older label stuff.

Some amazing finds lately... send some of that luck my way on my run tomorrow! [​IMG]

5. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

What's with everyone finding recent Zegna ties lately?

I havent thrifted in like a week or two but when I come back I hope to hit one of those puppies!

6. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

@Tyrone: Pants look pretty slim, to me. Nice suit, and it looks like it fits.

!

Yeah, I may go see if it's still there. Suits don't move too fast at this particular GW. How often do you find a well made, fitting suit for $40?

Oh yeah - today I DID get a set of Dooney & Bourke braided leather braces, and an all linen Brooks Brother Maker's tie, just in time for warm weather. About $2 for each of them.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

What's with everyone finding recent Zegna ties lately? Seems like they're getting more common - when did that "selvedge" label come in? I've only ever seen two, but they blow away the older label stuff.

I was thinking the same thing. So many popping up these past couple weeks. I too love the recent "selvedge" label Zegna ties - you can definitely tell they're well made. Really thick and use quality silk.

8. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

I was thinking the same thing. So many popping up these past couple weeks. I too love the recent "selvedge" label Zegna ties - you can definitely tell they're well made. Really thick and use quality silk.

im sure one of us Texas boys will find a lot of 50 or so in the next few days! LOL

9. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

That Stefano Ricci shirt is amazing. Retail on those things is $1000+.

[​IMG]

I love how nobody knows what pocket squares are or how expensive they are so they're always like 50 cents. Amazing.

This has yet to help me find the good ones, sadly. I've picked up one, unlabeled yellow with purple paisley that I've yet to wear, and a navy, shear silk Anne Taylor hankie that looks smashing as a PS in my cream, raw silk SC. (I just have to make sure the "Anne Taylor" stays firmly in the pocket, haha.)

Had a good thrifting day in the the City today (City = San Francisco for all the non-bay area folks). I don't often find much at the Van Ness GW, but did find a Corneliani tweed s/c and a pair of navy Incotex.

The Van Ness GW is usually a bust for me. I think its just too heavily picked over. Dress shirts are pretty much the only thing I ever find. There was an old, slightly beat up orphaned pin-stripe Golden Fleece coat that I almost bought just to take apart, but I forgot about it when I left...

Oh! And there was a HIDEOUS Corneliai "Fashion Line" (or something like that) sport coat that was so very dated it hurt: black and yellow-ish houndstooth.

10. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

im sure one of us Texas boys will find a lot of 50 or so in the next few days! LOL

Seriously. These guys are making me kick myself for not having thrifted when I was in college in Waco and making frequent trips to Austin or Dallas. Course, I wouldn't have known what to look for then, but, still! When I go back to visit friends you can bet I'll be dragging them all over Austin for thrifting.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

With the kind of stuff hanging around your stomping grounds it honestly wouldn't surprise me.... [​IMG]

12. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

With the kind of stuff hanging around your stomping grounds it honestly wouldn't surprise me....

[​IMG]

Didnt EBTX66 just find like 40 brioni ties here in dallas or some shit? lol

13. jobro

jobro Senior member

pics, nothing mindblowing but i like the ties:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    L-R- Silk, silk, wool, wool, wool, linen, linen, silk! also, navy with red polka dots hermes square. is this legit?
    [​IMG]

There are some nice ties there! You holding on to them?

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

you can bet I'll be dragging them all over Austin for thrifting.

Prepare for disappointment. Austin's like the DIY, thrifty-person capital of the world...

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Rent-a-cops at a Goodwill??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.