• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Nice scores! That Stefano Ricci shirt is amazing. Retail on those things is $1000+. I found one once, never found another. Doesn't look super recent, maybe 7-10 years old (?) but I don't know much about Ricci to begin with. I would have grabbed that Borrelli regardless for only $2.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^^ Nice scores! That Stefano Ricci shirt is amazing. Retail on those things is $1000+. I found one once, never found another. Doesn't look super recent, maybe 7-10 years old (?) but I don't know much about Ricci to begin with. I would have grabbed that Borrelli regardless for only $2.

2nd that.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
hhmm no...i sell maybe 5-10 items a month,granted some of them are very high end expensive but i wouldnt consider myself a big seller like Spoo or whoosurdaddi etc etc and i have no problem what so ever selling.yeah it may take awhile but if the price is right and the product is right it should sell,i dont know why you are having trouble selling a Kiton???
you seem to have a high post count so the trust should be there as well,would be different if you had 80 posts and wanted a grand for a suit know what i mean.

5-10 per month??

I was under the impression, just from reading this thread the past month or so, that your were some kind of mega-flipper, financing homes in foreign countries through massive thrift store finds.

Do you just do it for fun? is it your full-time job?

EBTX66

Reaction score
I've been tied up with school and such over the past month or so but I had a few hours of free time over the past few days and ventured out. I'm glad I did because pickings were ripe. I hit a total of five places since Firday and lunch and found:

- Brooks Brothers made in England captoes in brown. The previous owner was one of us because they have fresh heels, are highly shined, and appear to have always been kept on trees - $8
- Hickey-Freeman full-canvass 6/2, center-vented DB suit in light-weight super 150's black wool flannel with small pinstripes -$14.99
- Made in Italy dress shirt from Bernini and a BNWT's Eton dress shirt - $3.99 each
- Sport shirts from Fratelli for Barneys and St. Croix - $5.99 each.

The last place was the major haul. Check it out:

Please disregard post: apparently Imageshack no longer lets us post photos to the website. What did I miss?

The top three rows and the gray w/ black dots on the far-left side of the 4th row are all Brioni.
After the gray Brioni, the 4th row from left to right is 4 Sulkas and a Turnbull & Asser. The 5th row consists of 3 Polo's - the green is NWT's and the navy woven is wool & cashmere - and the last tie is Charvet. They are normally $5-$10 each at this place but the manager knows me and likes that I bring groups from the school around once every couple of months so she let me have the whole haul for $100 (including tax).

No, I do not know which ones I'm going to keep and which ones I'm going to sell just yet. I'm still enjoying the afterglow...

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
I've been tied up with school and such over the past month or so but I had a few hours of free time over the past few days and ventured out. I'm glad I did because pickings were ripe. I hit a total of five places since Firday and lunch and found:

- Brooks Brothers made in England captoes in brown. The previous owner was one of us because they have fresh heels, are highly shined, and appear to have always been kept on trees - $8
- Hickey-Freeman full-canvass 6/2, center-vented DB suit in light-weight super 150's black wool flannel with small pinstripes -$14.99
- Made in Italy dress shirt from Bernini and a BNWT's Eton dress shirt - $3.99 each
- Sport shirts from Fratelli for Barneys and St. Croix - $5.99 each.

The last place was the major haul. Check it out:

Please disregard post: apparently Imageshack no longer lets us post photos to the website. What did I miss?

The top three rows and the gray w/ black dots on the far-left side of the 4th row are all Brioni.
After the gray Brioni, the 4th row from left to right is 4 Sulkas and a Turnbull & Asser. The 5th row consists of 3 Polo's - the green is NWT's and the navy woven is wool & cashmere - and the last tie is Charvet. They are normally $5-$10 each at this place but the manager knows me and likes that I bring groups from the school around once every couple of months so she let me have the whole haul for $100 (including tax).

No, I do not know which ones I'm going to keep and which ones I'm going to sell just yet. I'm still enjoying the afterglow...

Sounds like a great haul but pictures arent working

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
5-10 per month??

I was under the impression, just from reading this thread the past month or so, that your were some kind of mega-flipper, financing homes in foreign countries through massive thrift store finds.

Do you just do it for fun? is it your full-time job?

it is but 80% of my income is from non clothing related itmes,moslty vintage furniture etc,it used to be 50/50 but for some reason i just cant be bothered with the average stuff like Etro/Canali anymore so unless its very high end i cant be bothered with the shipping,paypal bullshit
as far as the homes,yeah i have two paid off but i didnt mean them to sound like they were Mcmansions or something,they were both under $120K,mind you the one in Poland on the Baltic Sea (im polish) i have 10 Acres
inlove.gif
and the other one is in France (Arcachon)

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it is but 80% of my income is from non clothing related itmes,moslty vintage furniture etc,it used to be 50/50 but for some reason i just cant be bothered with the average stuff like Etro/Canali anymore so unless its very high end i cant be bothered with the shipping,paypal bullshit
as far as the homes,yeah i have two paid off but i didnt mean them to sound like they were Mcmansions or something,they were both under $120K,mind you the one in Poland on the Baltic Sea (im polish) i have 10 Acres
inlove.gif

worship.gif

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
passed on that shirt a few days ago, i just can't remember why

Coulda picked it up and sold/traded it to me!
devil.gif
PM'd rvan just in case he's letting it go.

Waste of time going out at all this afternoon... with gas prices the way they are, yeah, I'm losing money on these constant busts. Ah, well. Some great finds lately, keep it up guys!
smile.gif

Oh, and CaliforniaDreamer - your suits are really around a 46, and I need a 48-50 - that's why I PM'd you with interest but once I saw measurements passed on them. I AM kind of suprised they haven't moved, though. Your location might play some part in it as well, I'd say. On a related note... sure, I'd love to score the hangers off you for a trade or reasonably-priced sale, but the shipping would be hellish so it probably wouldn't work out. I do have a policy where if you're shipping inside the USA and want to trade (or sell cheaply) a hanger to me, I'll take care of your shipping costs, but from down under, golly, the shipping could be as much as the hanger!
smile.gif

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Well, you haven't been looking very hard. It's the best place I've ever thrifted, and some of the legends of this thread are SF-based. I just bought a Kiton there two weeks ago.
Just left the Van Ness Goodwill with nothing. Jackets were super old, ties junk, shirts were ok but nothing nice + my size. If anyone has recommendations of specific SF thrifts to visit, please PM me. Thanks.

VABeethoven

Reaction score
OK guys, bear with me. I've been thrifting for a long time and this is one for the ages for me. So, I've been on extended hiatus--haven't posted since before my house burned down last year. Lost everything and pretty much lost interest in thrifting. Well, the house is almost back and I've been getting pickier and pickier with clothes. Mostly just a shirt guy-nothing like a good brioni or T&A SS shirt with a nice pair of jeans. Decided to wander into a thrift-but was careful to make it in the wrong side of town so as not to be tempted. Got a trip to Vietnam in my immediate future, so funds are quite scarce. Start with the pants: One Brioni:
IMG_4753.jpg
Three Luciano Barbera:
IMG_4754.jpg
And a fourth:
IMG_4755.jpg
Six, count 'em--SIX Kiton:
IMG_4756.jpg
And two suits: One 100% Cashmere Kiton:
IMG_4759.jpg
IMG_4760.jpg
and one BLANC BLU Super 180s Kiton:
IMG_4761.jpg
IMG_4762.jpg
The blanc blu has a loose interior trouser button, otherwise outstanding. All are in excellent condition, most appearing unworn or very very lightly worn. Though I did just get home and will be giving them a more thorough once over shortly. Suit sizes are listed as 55/56 Drop 7R, and pants all seem to say 55 or 56 if they say anything at all. None of it fits, and I spent trip money--so it's flipping time! haven't decided where or when yet. Just fondling the fabric, the seams.....wishing it fit and I could just keep it. But it's not like I could pass it up.
smile.gif
I'm on the trading spreadsheet, but most of this will have to be sold, methinks. I never wear anything less than thomas pink, RLPL or so(and have a HUGE soft spot for Sulka), but that Kiton blu blanc is AMAZING. Just......wow. To reiterate--WOW.

Navi

Reaction score
What the ****?! THat much kiton in one trip.... You've gotta be ******** me. Wanna trade places? We can postpone it until after your trip if you want.
wink.gif
Too bad most of those clothes have dead-guy residue all over em.
biggrin.gif
edit: Also, I'm finding that it is definitely hard to flip stuff nowadays. Not sure why but it sucks. Takes a long time for anything to sell.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Probably the best haul ever with regards to quantity/quality!
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
I think CSOUK has some competition

VABeethoven

Reaction score
Yeah, but nothing wrong with a dead man's clothes. My closet has Lanson Ditto's (of Norton-Ditto fame) personal wardrobe-my size, about a dozen Oxxford suits bought over 30 years. Complimentary Dobbs hats. Those old guys DO dress well sometimes.
smile.gif
Both of today's Kitons are just my style too. 3/2 roll. Just a perfect day. I'm sure headed back tomorrow to see if there's anything to mop up.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArsenalDan
I thought about that, but unless I'll make a profit of at least $50-75, it's not really worth my time. At $35 or whatever it was, that sort of profit is not guaranteed.

Quoting myself just to say I think I'm going to go back and grab those vintage Hanover longwings. At $15 plus the $40 or so for a resoling (I'll go rubber, for versatility), I think it could be worth it. One concern, however: they are definitely a pair with significant wear -- can I reduce the effect/feel of the last owner's foot impression by adding an insole?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
inlove.gif

Ah, so you meant just 5-10 clothing sales a month.

I'm impressed you can make that much just doing big things, I had always figured the people who do that for a living had to just do tons of low margin stuff to make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads