The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruben

ruben Senior member

why anybody would donate this,it had to come with a scooter since the model number is stamped on it.
    i mean if i had bought a limited edition scooter i would probably keep everything that came with it,but i stopped questioning "thrift logic" the first time i found a real diamond ring a few years back.

I always assumed it was a tax matter, could be wrong, but if you're in the right bracket, donating a diamond ring and claiming $XXXX for it could net you almost as much as selling it, without the hassle.

2. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

I always assumed it was a tax matter, could be wrong, but if you're in the right bracket, donating a diamond ring and claiming $XXXX for it could net you almost as much as selling it, without the hassle.

i think the ring was a spurned fiance

3. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

i think the ring was a spurned fiance

HIM: "Since you boaned my best friend, the wedding's off. Now give me back that ring."

HER: "I donated it to a thrift store."

HIM: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

couple of cool items today a brand new VESPA limited edition all leather messenger bag. perfect since i just bought a new 15 inch laptop this week and was planning on buying a bag for it. no idea why anybody would donate this,it had to come with a scooter since the model number is stamped on it. i mean if i had bought a limited edition scooter i would probably keep everything that came with it,but i stopped questioning "thrift logic" the first time i found a real diamond ring a few years back. secondly a nice pair of $500 jeans from PRPS,and lastly a brand new pair of Clarks Desert shoes in my size in white.Frenchy is happy
    Sweet mother! Two of the very things for which I have been searching. Clarks DB's and a leather messenger.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

HIM: "Since you boaned my best friend, the wedding's off. Now give me back that ring." HER: "I donated it to a thrift store." HIM: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And hello small claims court, if the guy had any sense. Conditional gift and all that. Unless you're in a state where it matters what party is at fault.

6. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

And hello small claims court, if the guy had any sense.

Conditional gift and all that. Unless you're in a state where it matters what party is at fault.

im in canada,anything goes eh

7. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Just bought these Allen Edmonds Marlow in burgundy from the Bay. How much? Only 6 dollah fiddy. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

exactly,i think we need to remind ourselves that we are sometimes getting $2000-$3000 items (even though they are overpriced,but thats another story) at a fraction even if it costs $200 (rare).
    in a way we are a bit spoiled,just go to a normal store and take a look at the ready to wear crap that sells for $300 and up from Nautiica,Hilfiger,Michael Kors to remind yourselves.

I agree with this. I'm happy to pay higher prices for something I know is quality and I've had the chance to try on and inspect closely (unlike eBay). Then there is the little matter of your money supporting a worthy cause.

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

And hello small claims court, if the guy had any sense.

Conditional gift and all that. Unless you're in a state where it matters what party is at fault.

Yep, one of my friends litigated that very issue. Basic rule here in Ohio is that if it is an engagement ring, you gotta give it back if the wedding doesn't happen. But in his case the ring was given to her but there was no "will you marry me?" so the judge said she got to keep it when the wedding didn't happen.

10. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

^ if you get $40 here for a Canali shirt, let me know. I have several I would sell for $40 too. [​IMG]

11. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

^ if you get $40 here for a Canali shirt, let me know. I have several I would sell for $40 too. [​IMG]

I am not sure why NWOT Canali is not worth $40 shipped even though they retail at $100+. But the consensus seems to be that it isn't. [​IMG]

12. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

I am not sure why NWOT Canali is not worth $40 shipped even though they retail at $100+. But the consensus seems to be that it isn't. [​IMG]

I think it's a lovely shirt - if it was a true 16.5/17, I'd be all over it.

13. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Because when everyone is buying $5k Kiton NWT for $1k on B&S and the lucky SOBs are getting it at goodwill for $20, everyone expects at least 80% off.

14. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

+1 - I really need to just break down and throw all of them on ebay and get what I can out of them!

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

+1 - I really need to just break down and throw all of them on ebay and get what I can out of them!
    I have been getting rid of quite a few shirts on ebay, usually selling groups of 2 or 3 of the same size. It doesn't bring much money ($6 to $8 per shirt), but it is clearing out some clutter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.