• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temujin

Reaction score
Found a nice pair of Nordstrom black loafers. I've passed on them before, but these are genuine crocodile tops/vamps & leather sides. Made in Italy, not sure by whom.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP

As long as I'm posting, if you find something not in your size don't just think "gosh, what could have been" - pick it up and trade or flip it, and then get your size. Many of the guys can tell you awesome stories about high-level swaps that worked out great. The one thing I hate to read about on this thread is someone saying "Yeah, I found a Kiton, but it was a hair too long for me so I left it." Seriously?

This x eleventy billion! If it's Neapolitan (Isaia, Borrelli, Kion, Attolini, Barba, Finamore.....) or just high quality stuff like Brioni, Oxxford, Savile Row bespoke - someone on here will want it and they will make it worth your while to grab it.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
This has been suggested before, but let me urge newer thrifters to do it again. Instead of thrifting next time, find the best, most expensive men's shops or department stores in your area. Go there and browse. Look at the ties, look at the tailored clothing, look at the sportswear--touch it. Look at the price tags. Learn what good stuff looks and feels like.

The kind of finds posted here ought to be the things that get your heart pumping and your palms sweaty. I guarantee you that's what BBC felt when he saw that Kiton above.

i personally get a "chubby" instead

Xenos

Reaction score
A few things recently:

Zegna Couture Napoli SC, size 44, but the length, shoulders and sleeves fit my 40R body, so will just take it in a bit (well, more than than "a bit").

4-7Pics001.jpg

4-7Pics005.jpg

4-7Pics002.jpg

4-7Pics003.jpg

4-7Pics004.jpg

Richard James, silk and linen SC.

4-7Pics006.jpg

4-7Pics008.jpg

4-7Pics009.jpg

Marc Jacobs, Made in Italy cotton SC.

4-7Pics010.jpg

4-7Pics011.jpg

Ties - Kiton, PRL, no tag, Piatelli, David August, vintage Lew Ritter.

4-7Pics012.jpg

4-7Pics013.jpg

4-7Pics015.jpg

4-7Pics016.jpg

If anyone recognizes the pattern on the silk lining of the brown wool tie, I would appreciate a clue as I am currently clueless.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Piss off. Be constructive or stfu.

Go back to selling crap clothes in your thread.

Originally Posted by Navi
Fair enough. Never said you had to like it, but **** if I'm going to take that from the guy who wouldnt know quality if it bit him **********.

Your avatar photo makes reading those comments 100x better
laugh.gif

Temujin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
Found a nice pair of Nordstrom black loafers. I've passed on them before, but these are genuine crocodile tops/vamps & leather sides. Made in Italy, not sure by whom.

These are actually Saks Fifth Ave.

Temujin

Reaction score
A few other shoe acquisitions: The loafers are new J&M's, burgundy Alden wingtips, tan Allen Edmonds, burgundy FL Imperial saddles.

TheODGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
I bought one a couple weeks ago (my second), pretty well made. Used and in excellent
condition, they fetch about $35 bucks on Ebay. I flipped one that was too big and keeping
the one in my size. If you think about the $3 you spent, keep it. If you start thinking
about $35, sell.

Thanks for the input! I stopped by at another thrift store later on this afternoon in my area and found:

1.) NWOT Lorenzini shirt - $3 (Way too big though - 17.5)
2.) Wool/cashmere Canali sweater - $3.50
3.) Zanella pleated pants - $4 (My size)
4.) Z for Zegna shirt (i know i know...) - $3
5.) NWOT Ferragamo windowpane shirt - $2.50
6.) PINK Shirt - $3
7.) Valentino tie - $1.50

Definitely not the greatest finds in the world, but it'll do for now.

Temujin

Reaction score
Some others: FootJoy Classics, Bruno Magli loafers, black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, cognac J & M "Trampoline", J & M "The Whitehouse Collection"

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Zegna Couture Napoli SC, size 44, but the length, shoulders and sleeves fit my 40R body, so will just take it in a bit (well, more than than "a bit").

4-7Pics002.jpg

Machine sewn buttonholes on a Zenga Couture? Hmm...

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has helped me a lot. Stuff I would have thought was an awesome score two years ago I don't give a 2nd look at now. Even if your plan is to flip it, some things the margin is so low, whne you factor in your time it's not worth it.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
This thread has helped me a lot. Stuff I would have thought was an awesome score two years ago I don't give a 2nd look at now. Even if your plan is to flip it, some things the margin is so low, whne you factor in your time it's not worth it.

always true

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
couple of cool items today

a brand new VESPA limited edition all leather messenger bag.
perfect since i just bought a new 15 inch laptop this week and was planning on buying a bag for it.
no idea why anybody would donate this,it had to come with a scooter since the model number is stamped on it.
i mean if i had bought a limited edition scooter i would probably keep everything that came with it,but i stopped questioning "thrift logic" the first time i found a real diamond ring a few years back.

secondly a nice pair of $500 jeans from PRPS,and lastly a brand new pair of Clarks Desert shoes in my size in white.Frenchy is happy

DSCF2750.jpg

DSCF2768.jpg

DSCF2753.jpg

DSCF2754.jpg

DSCF2755.jpg

DSCF2756.jpg

DSCF2757.jpg

DSCF2758.jpg

DSCF2759.jpg

DSCF2760.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads