The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

So, what to do with this suit? It's Brooks Brothers Makers, 3 roll 2, fully canvassed with unfashionable (but cool) long-rise, flat front trousers. Not sure how old, but it's 55% polyester 45% wool. Why the hell would BB make their high-end line out of polyester? It has developed a tiny bit of shine on some high-wear areas, but overall looks pretty good to me, and fits well, 'though the pants could lose some length. But there's some divots on the shoulder (see last two pix). Is that fixable, and is it worth it on a 50/50 suit?
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

I picked up this YSL tie that had a stain I thought I could remove. I couldn't remove it. Not the prettiest thing and the fabric available was just barely enough, but made this with the tie. My first try, so please be gentle. [​IMG] There are good parts and bad parts, I need to figure out how to tie it such that the nice parts show Edit: Re-tied it with the side I sewed second in front. =) [​IMG] Instructions as requested: http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/david I used that pattern, although I couldn't get it to print the full size, my test square was 1/4" smaller. I haven't attached the ends end but mine turned to be the perfect length as I couldn't get the full length of the pattern due to the fabric. I may just sew it together and make it non adjustable. There were a lot of other ways, such as one where you didn't have to tie it and involved velcro straps in the back, but if I'm going to wear a bow tie, has to be one that is tied. I did it by hand as I don't have a machine. One really hard step was cutting the bias and knit inside the tie the same size. I pinned the pattern and all three layers all the way around together before cutting. Then for sewing, the first time around I had problems of getting to close to the edges, so I pinned it again all the way around with a good margin that I used as my border.

3. rose04

rose04 Well-Known Member

I picked up this YSL tie that had a stain I thought I could remove. I couldn't remove it. Not the prettiest thing and the fabric available was just barely enough, but made this with the tie. My first try, so please be gentle.

There are good parts and bad parts, I need to figure out how to tie it such that the nice parts show =)

That's totally cool! Willing to share instructions?

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

So, what to do with this suit? It's Brooks Brothers Makers, 3 roll 2, fully canvassed with unfashionable (but cool) long-rise, flat front trousers. Not sure how old, but it's 55% polyester 45% wool. Why the hell would BB make their high-end line out of polyester? It has developed a tiny bit of shine on some high-wear areas, but overall looks pretty good to me, and fits well, 'though the pants could lose some length. But there's some divots on the shoulder (see last two pix). Is that fixable, and is it worth it on a 50/50 suit?

I wouldn't pour too much in it, but if it's just getting the trousers hemmed, it could make a good travel/bad weather/beater suit.

5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I picked up this YSL tie that had a stain I thought I could remove. I couldn't remove it. Not the prettiest thing and the fabric available was just barely enough, but made this with the tie. My first try, so please be gentle.

[​IMG]

There are good parts and bad parts, I need to figure out how to tie it such that the nice parts show

Edit: Re-tied it with the side I sewed second in front. =)
    [​IMG]

Instructions as requested:
    http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/david

I used that pattern, although I couldn't get it to print the full size, my test square was 1/4" smaller. I haven't attached the ends end but mine turned to be the perfect length as I couldn't get the full length of the pattern due to the fabric. I may just sew it together and make it non adjustable. There were a lot of other ways, such as one where you didn't have to tie it and involved velcro straps in the back, but if I'm going to wear a bow tie, has to be one that is tied. I did it by hand as I don't have a machine. One really hard step was cutting the bias and knit inside the tie the same size. I pinned the pattern and all three layers all the way around together before cutting. Then for sewing, the first time around I had problems of getting to close to the edges, so I pinned it again all the way around with a good margin that I used as my border.

that is freaking awesome [​IMG]
    very impressed that you didnt just set fire to the tie and forget about it!

6. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Ditto. I bought some wool for making a bowtie, but haven't gotten around to it. Good for you making lemonade out of lemons. I do think next time you'll want to find more closely matching thread, and your stitching will get neater. And hopefully you'll document the process carefully, so I can learn from your mistakes, if any! [​IMG]

7. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

Ditto. I bought some wool for making a bowtie, but haven't gotten around to it. Good for you making lemonade out of lemons. I do think next time you'll want to find more closely matching thread, and your stitching will get neater. And hopefully you'll document the process carefully, so I can learn from your mistakes, if any! [​IMG]
    The second side definitely got way better. In terms of the thread, it shouldn't really matter as ideally it wouldn't show. It does on mine because I stitched too close to the edge and and to resew it shut. I was too lazy to turn it inside out again. I'll definitely do pics of the process if there is a next time. Edit: Project completed with original tag sewed on. [​IMG]

8. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

10. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

Got up nice and early to go for a quick thrift run this morning, I passed on 3 recent Samuelsohn pieces (logo with the heart on it) - 2 sport coats and a like new herringbone suit. I really wanted to pick up the suit even though it didn't fit me that well, but it was $80 ....... One of the sportcoats was my tagged size but was altered to the point that I couldn't button it up. I ended up just picking up a navy blazer in my size, two button up shirts, and two BB Makers ties.

11. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

Got up nice and early to go for a quick thrift run this morning, I passed on 3 recent Samuelsohn pieces (logo with the heart on it) - 2 sport coats and a like new herringbone suit. I really wanted to pick up the suit even though it didn't fit me that well, but it was $80 ....... One of the sportcoats was my tagged size but was altered to the point that I couldn't button it up. I ended up just picking up a navy blazer in my size, two button up shirts, and two BB Makers ties.

I don't think I've seen a price of more than 20$ at the thrift store. What size was the suit?

12. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

The suit was a 40R I believe. The pricing at this store is generally pretty expensive, they charge per piece when it come to suits. So the jacket was tagged 39.99 and the pants were also tagged 39.99. It seemed like it barely worn too.

13. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I don't think I've seen a price of more than 20$ at the thrift store. What size was the suit?

???? Where do you live? I see over $20 all of the time here in LA.

14. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Couple of sport coats (crappy pics) and a couple of pairs of pants.

Isaia;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Custom with Holland & Sherry fabric;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Incotex, sz 34;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and RRL cargo, sz 32.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

The navy blazer I picked up on the last page was Cambridge for Harry Rosen. What's the general consensus on Cambridge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.