The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

Any indication on the Olymp Luxor that it's a non-iron? From their website that seems to be what they do, though they might have another model, obviously.

Nice haul, though! Back to finding nothing here today...

Same experience, nothing to be found. Stopped at a new place where they literally just pile the clothes on the floor without any known organization. Men's mixed with womens, just all over. I was excited when I saw some Ferragamo shoes, but they were in bad shape. I also didn't feel like spending time looking through random piles.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Southwick blue linen (I think) blazer, summer weight, flimsy half-lining. *Exactly* what I want -- but it's R, not S. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stopped at a new place where they literally just pile the clothes on the floor without any known organization...
    I call it: my room.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Xenos Very nice haul!

+1. Awesome. Love that Brioni!

As for me, I'm a bit disappointed. My wife has a dental conference at the Mayo Clinic and it's a two day thing, so I came along. Staying tonight and tomorrow night. It's about 1 1/2 hr drive. Anyway, with the Mayo Clinic having it's reputation as one of the best medical facilities, I'd figure the thrifts around it were loaded with cast-off clothing from wealthy doctors and other medical professionals. Boy was I wrong. Hit 6 stores and nothing! Nothing at all - nicest suit I came across was J. Ferrar! Ugh. Well, actually I take that back. The first store we hit had a total of four (literally) suits in the suit section. One happened to be a gorgeous D/B Polo RL suit. 6/2, side vented. Made in the USA. Navy with silver windowpane. Mint condition. Tagged a 41 R with a 35 waist. Grabbed it as the lapels are very striking. High peak lapels. Very much like RLPL. I can get photos if anyone is interested but cannot get measurements 'till we get home. Oh well, there are at least some nice restaurants to try out.

4. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

cast-off clothing from wealthy doctors and other medical professionals

I've been told by multiple doctors, a couple of dentists and a few other medical professionals (don't ask why I know so many as a non-injury lawyer... long story) that the only ones who tend to dress in NICE suits as a rule are surgeons, for some reason. I'm sure there are exceptions, but my experience has somewhat borne that out - of the suits I've identified the owner, the only medical-types have been surgeons. Well, and a hospital-administrator-type who doesn't really practice medicine anymore. In fact, my latest Oxxford came direct from a thoracic surgeon whose office I drive by every now and then - maybe I should pay him a visit and offer to consign his castoffs! [​IMG]

5. Navi

Navi Senior member

I've been told by multiple doctors, a couple of dentists and a few other medical professionals (don't ask why I know so many as a non-injury lawyer... long story) that the only ones who tend to dress in NICE suits as a rule are surgeons, for some reason. I'm sure there are exceptions, but my experience has somewhat borne that out - of the suits I've identified the owner, the only medical-types have been surgeons. Well, and a hospital-administrator-type who doesn't really practice medicine anymore. In fact, my latest Oxxford came direct from a thoracic surgeon whose office I drive by every now and then - maybe I should pay him a visit and offer to consign his castoffs! [​IMG]

Yeah, I've also found that most doctors don't pay much attention to the way they dress. Pretty normal, though a bunch of older doctors wear Hermes ties. The critters ones. Not sure why that is though.

Found a pair of medium blue 100% linen Incotex pants today, they're too big for me though. I think they're 34-36 if anybody wants em, I'd be willing to trade. I'll take some pics and measurements soon, they're great summer pants. Very light and comfortable.

6. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Nataku-- I went through the same thing a few months ago. i went down to Mayo Clinic with a friend of mine, he's 30 and has cancer. I found nothing. However, I do highly recommend
    Newts, it's a bar and grill and has excellent food. i recommend the deep fried garlic mashed potato balls with bbq sauce....mmmm. May need to increase waist size =) Them 'r good!

7. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

had a question about something on a pair of Florsheim Imperials I thrifted recently [​IMG] Do these need to be re-soled? Or are the nails an intentional (desirable) feature.

8. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Many shirts: Brioni, Baldessarini Hugo Boss, Prada;

BB linen, Olymp Luxor (never heard of it, but seems nice);

Purple Label, Seize sur Vingt;

RRL, RRL, Guglielminotti;

Barba, Tenet, Orian;

Zegna, RRL.

Forgot to add, if anyone's interested in the Prada or the XXL Zegna or XXL RRL, they are available FSOT.

9. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

I had the same idea when I had to take my son to Duke Medical Center for surgery last year at this time. Very slim pickins'! There was even one thrift specifically run by doctors wives. What little they had worth buying was priced way above thrift store level. Although, it is where I picked up the NOS Willis and Geiger Brothel Creepers that I posted here last year. Maybe I shouldn't complain too much.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

had a question about something on a pair of Florsheim Imperials I thrifted recently

[​IMG]

Do these need to be re-soled? Or are the nails an intentional (desirable) feature.

Definitely a unique, intentional, and desirable feature. A bit sad, though, because you'll probably have to at least stick some topys on there, for safety reasons. I've got three pair; every single one was like walking on an oil spill.

Seriously. Take 'em out for a test spin before walking near ice or on smooth department store surfaces...

11. rose04

rose04 Well-Known Member

Forgot to add, if anyone's interested in the Prada or the XXL Zegna or XXL RRL, they are available FSOT.

Awesome Brioni. Good find! I like the three RRLs, too bad they're XXL.

12. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Definitely a unique, intentional, and desirable feature. A bit sad, though, because you'll probably have to at least stick some topys on there, for safety reasons. I've got three pair; every single one was like walking on an oil spill.

Seriously. Take 'em out for a test spin before walking near ice or on smooth department store surfaces...

if you end up falling over make sure someone captures the video and posts it on youtube [​IMG]

13. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Do these need to be re-soled? Or are the nails an intentional (desirable) feature.

LOL, depends on your perspective, I guess! Those are commonly called "suicide heels" and, well, most guys would have new heels put on for safety/grip. A simple Vibram job isn't very expensive.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

If there's a 48L out there who'd like a brown, Haspel, made in China cashmere sport coat, speak now -- otherwise, I'm making it into a tie and pocket square. [​IMG]

15. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Well I just can't keep up with this thread anymore, so I'm just going to post my latest find. I haven't been out in a while, so it was nice to score pretty big on the one day I've had a chance to thrift:

Two vintage bespoke Edward Sexton light flannel pinstripe suits in excellent condition - one is a navy with grey pinstripes and peak lapels, the other is navy with crimson pinstripes. Perfect fit and a combined price of $60 for the two suits.

Also, two NWT Charvet ties, a NWT Battistoni golf shirt, and a set of vintage stainless espresso cups and saucers, all for $30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.