1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

although Mr. Buffet does live in omaha, but I don't think he can fit in a 39 and he typically wears Zegna or Chinese stuff. :p

2. woolnotmutton

can you provide some measurements thanks :)

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the offices of Dunder Mifflin...

4. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    scary lapels!!

5. ruben

ruben Senior member

You're right, he's about a 16.5 x 35 [​IMG]

6. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

Did you see the pattern? Measurements for woolnotmutton Shoulder - 19" P2P- 20 1/2" Waist(at top button)- 19" Sleeve- 24"+1 3/4" to let out Length(from BOC)- 30" lapel width- 3 3/4”

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  7. woolnotmutton

very cool what kind of a piece is that?

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

x2 I was surprised to find that stuff in Omaha as well. :laugh:

9. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

Today: the most amazingly festive horse patterened Ike Behar shirt. I'm thinking of making it a boyshirt dress for my equine loving gf. Also a like new cotton Seven for All Mankind blazer (large, dark denim washed with pinstripes, button cuffs). I know this is generally styleforum inappropriate gear, but I'm guessing it'll ebay for at least $30 (and probably more)

Also, in the spirit of collecting the largest set of whimsical ties (I now have over 60 - none of which I seem to wear), I found a hot pepper motif navy tie. It actually feels well made (nicer than the vineyard vine ties I have at least), and it's marked as "Made in Italy" with no designer logo. I might post the "made in italy" label and see if anyone can identify the label.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. AHS

AHS Senior member

Another pair of dead man's shoes for my feet. Vintage Alan McAfee. (Pre-Church's?)

I cleaned the inside... but the leather could use more conditioning and a polish.

[​IMG]

AHS

11. Chillax

Chillax Well-Known Member

He won't find anything anyway-Florida is a terrible place for thrifting. Everyone here just wears t shirts and shorts.

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Enough ties that you can make a nice lot of them and put them on the Bay. Only thing I'm careful of now is when I start to find multiple items like that is to check for snags, spots or wear. About a year and a half ago I found a bunch at a GW and had maybe 12 ties in my hand...upon careful inspection I bought 2-3.

13. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

I've actually had really good luck with lots of items. They seem to be turned in for reasons other than wearing/storage-destruction (ink stains, moth eaten, mold, etc). In fact, most of the NWT items I find seem to come from some kind of lot of similar items.

14. 83glt

83glt Senior member

AHHhh.... the memories.... I haven't had a mega tie-haul like that in about 2 years. It was awesome when I did though! Nice!
    I would tend to agree with that. Although, whenever I think of thrifting in FL, it reminds me of the time that I watched a usurper grab a $3000+ vintage Martin accoustic guitar off the shelf as I was literally steps away from it. I saw it from across the room and made a bee-line for it. Literally a moment too late.
    Didn't know you had a mean streak in you Nak! Good to see in this case as I agree 100%. Been discussed many times here. Google/yellow pages, etc. It's not hard to find where the thrift stores are in any community in North America. What makes a good spot is luck, timing, frequency and such. There are no such things as perpetually "hot" thrift stores where you will find loads of awesome stuff every time. If there was, everyone would shop there and you'd still be back to square one - luck, timing, frequency. Think about it.
    I like it!
    That's an Oxxford lapel. They're all like that. Ya, the notch is lower, but it's the different angle that makes it timeless IMO. Besides, I don't know if it's being discussed here on other threads, but I've started to see the notch coming down on many newer suits. Some jackets from the last few years that have notches that practically reach behind the ears look just as ridiculous as nipple notches.
    See above. Florida is one of those places that has the potential to provide a bounty in non-clothing thrift finds.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  15. woolnotmutton

on the short side for me, but nice regardless.

16. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

I've had some pretty good luck with cashmere as of late:

Pal Zileri 100% cashmere (LP fabric) jacket
    Brooks Brothers makers 100% cashmere sweater
    Random made in Scotland 100% cashmere sweater

17. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:laugh:

Ya know, I'm usually pretty mellow but seeing this question get asked time and time again gets pretty old. Oh well....

18. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele

Thanks! If you're interested in any, most of them are available for trade or sale.
    It wasn't too bad, actually. I bought these over the last few months, not all at once. You know, I don't even have to wear ties for work anymore, so the idea that I've accumulated so many is kind of ridiculous. On the other hand, when I do need to wear a tie, I like being able to make the perfect choice from hundreds of ties.
    Agreed.
    Thanks!
    So do I. That's the first Seven Fold Talbott I've seen. Interesting tie.
    There's an idea!

19. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I found this PRL cotton SC a couple of days ago and it looked so good that I couldn't leave it. I have a couple of XL sized family members it might fit if no one here is interested. Send a PM if you likey.

It lays as a 3 roll 2 but I buttoned it for the picture.
    [​IMG]

Single vent.
    [​IMG]

Working surgeon cuffs!
    [​IMG]

Best representation of the color.
    [​IMG]

Appears to be food stains on the lapel. Someone (not me) dabbed at them.
    [​IMG]

Right inner breast pocket and sleeve.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couldn't have been worn too many times. The vent stitching is still hanging off the back!
    [​IMG]

Pit to pit: 24"
    Waist: 23"
    Shoulder to shoulder:21"
    BoC: 33"
    Sleeve from shoulder seam: 27"

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  20. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

That's a harsh response to an harmless question. Would you give the same answer if I were to ask whereabouts of the best tailors in a particular State or which boutique is having sales right now? I hope not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.