The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mainy

mainy Senior member

went to like 12 stores today and found NOTHINGGG. i hate this time of year - stores just roll out the short sleeved shirts and shorts and boom, good thrifting is basically done for 3 months. depressing.

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] So I guess many will find this plebe status, but instead of the Canali shirts and zillion dollars worth of Italian fancy-pants uncovered this week, I'm really excited by this: things I can check off my wish list. Herringbone shirt (hurray!) Purple-check shirt that effing *pops* (in person) -- it's a ladyshirt, but still... [​IMG] Whimsical mystery shirt Linen pants Pants w/ that one pattern I can't name Shoes this color, with broguing like this... And a question or two: Are these Vito Rufolo shirts worth grabbing? Anyone know who made the bill blass made in italy shoes? Woo! [​IMG]

3. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

Amazing day yet again with Antirabbit:
    - Oxxford MTM Glen Plaid Navy suit: My first oxxford item, in the exact color suit I was looking for and in my favorite pattern.
    - Oxxford Navy houndstooth pants for my brother, might be a bit big for him but going to try and convince them they are worth altering for
    - 3 NWOT BB slim fit shirts
    - a few nice ties that filled the green hole in my tie collection

As with last time, Antirabbit only got one miscellaneous item, a tie. Hopefully the items I passed to him made the trip and meetup worthwhile though.

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Nice scores!
    went to like 12 stores today and found NOTHINGGG. i hate this time of year - stores just roll out the short sleeved shirts and shorts and boom, good thrifting is basically done for 3 months. depressing.
    Yeah, I hear ya. It's been a bummer recently.

5. redsocks

redsocks Member

Picked these up today... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Anyone know anything about them? Can you tell what they are made of? I don't see any markings.

6. deadpooL1g

deadpooL1g Member

7. mainy

mainy Senior member

^^
    crazy shoes.

they would look good... in a trash can [​IMG]

8. redsocks

redsocks Member

[​IMG] I'm not planning to wear them myself. I did consider that they might be exotic skin and more valuable to someone else though, so I picked them up. I thought I recognized the make and now see that Franco's sells R. Martegani. I'm guessing these aren't recent.

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Im a 46R and it fits perfect with a suit jacket on. Ill get measurements and pics if its close to your size

I'm interested if it doesn't work out for him. 46R here.

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Picked these up today... [​IMG] Anyone know anything about them? Can you tell what they are made of? I don't see any markings.
    [​IMG]

11. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

they would look good... in a trash can [​IMG]

Ouch.... that is harsh!

lol kind of just a phrase, i guess? thought it was pretty clear that meant i DID pay only $8 for it.

anyway, thanks for responses, everyone. i'll probably just get rid of it, i dont think it is worth the amount of tailoring that (apparently) would have to go into it.

SIDE QUESTION: where the hell do all of you shop that you find some of the stuff that you do? i'm a grad student so i'd love to be able to save some money.

When I started doing thrifting, I was also a grad student just like you. Luckily, I was able to turn some of the old merchandises which don't really fit me and make them new in my size! It is tricky so I want to keep it a secret! Therefore, I was so glad that I did it.

Thank to Style Forum that inspired me to do it!

12. odiv

odiv Well-Known Member

Pretty dry here lately too, but it's almost always crappy. Next time I'm in a big city I'm going to thrift until I'm absolutely sick of it just so that I can stop buying stuff here when it happens to be close to my size.

A double breasted ventless grey suit with pants that are 4" too small? It was only $5, barely used, and the material and construction seem nice, but still. Why would I pick this up? Maroon half polyester sportscoat? Am I going to be selling used cars or running for office in the late 70s? Nope. So why buy it for $2?

I need some serious staples. I should troll B&S until I get them. It's better than pissing away money $1-$10 at a time on thrift crap I'm never going to wear.

13. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

Would love to see the credenza frenchy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

passed up yesterday on a zegna su misura jacket (possibly orphaned suit jacket)
    it was $85... i thought that is a bit much for thrift

did i make a mistake??

15. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.