The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found a couple nice jackets today. Both made for D.Fine in Las Vegas. It was a shame I had to leave one behind. It was terribly dated. Mint green and a really low gorge and button stance. Beautiful pick stitching though. I grabbed the other one which is a bit newer (though the gorge is still a but low for my tastes but doesn't look horrible when worn) and made by Ravazzolo. Wool/Silk blend and has the Ravazzolo logo enamel buttons. 48 R. Too big for me but I tossed it up here for cheap. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=232501

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Senior member

I believe the green labeled RL items are the Lauren line made for lower end dept stores and the lowest end line for RL (below polo).
    It's owned by Peerless,which as you can see by their brand list,sells crap.
    http://www.peerless-clothing.com/home.htm

3. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. Psydelik

Psydelik Senior member

Picked these beautiful shoes up today for 20 bucks. Dont know what they're actually worth, but they're gorgeous.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

that is a good piece of info!! thanks

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Senior member

that is a good piece of info!! thanks
    What's scary is that they're the largest men's tailored clothing manufacturer in North America,they're crap products are omnipresent and have saturated thrift racks.

7. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

Do you guys donate do thrift stores as well?

I just thought I'd mention you're probably doing more good donating to smaller, not-for-profit stores than the Value Villages, etc. VV pays charities for all donations but it's by weight, so charities get pretty much nothing for high-value, but lightweight items. Donating directly to not-for-profit places makes sure any revenue goes directly to good causes.

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^I donate to a small thrift store that benefits the county Community Action Program. I don't frequent this one often so it works out well because I really don't want to end up sifting through my own rejects again! [​IMG]

9. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Well I could have worked on my master's thesis this morning, but after picking up my H. Freeman topcoat from the tailor (it looks great!), the thrift stores called.
    I passed on some Sebago penny loafers (are those worth anything?) and some beat-up Florscheim Imperials black wingtips, but got these Magnannis for $10.
    [​IMG]

The tag was cut out of this funky sport coat, but I liked it, and it's half-lined and canvassed. (The remaining tag says "hand needled".)
    [​IMG]

And I bought this tie just because I liked it, the looked up the name, FR Tripler & Co., and everyone says they're not in business anymore. But the tie looks brand new, so I'm wondering if someone started using the name again. Anyone know?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

Found a pair of Alden Foot Balance shoes--NEW! They retail for $900. On the down side-- they are narrow. 12B[​IMG]

11. gdwy89

gdwy89 Well-Known Member

I made a Put This On post about avoiding licensed and diffusion brands.

+1

Also your recent post on identifying natural buttons couldn't have come at a better time. It helped me verify one of my most recent thrift purchases had mother of pearl buttons.

Also picked up my first self-tipped tie (Ike Behar) and my first Hermes (hopefully there will be many more were that came from).

12. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

And I bought this tie just because I liked it, the looked up the name, FR Tripler & Co., and everyone says they're not in business anymore. But the tie looks brand new, so I'm wondering if someone started using the name again. Anyone know?

Tripler was on Madison & 46th, where JAB is now.

For many decades they had an association with Hickey-Freeman.

They went out of business in the 90s. Later the name was sold to whoever is pimping it now. Current Tripler merch is low quality.

The tie you have is from the 60s and is quite nice.

13. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

I dont know....i rather like FUBU..[​IMG]

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The camera angle makes this SC look long, it is too big but I think taking it in a bit will be OK.
    Some 38Rs are too small for me, so I can't imagine fitting into a 36R. I guess with some labels I can try. I'm 5'10 165lbs (usually 160) with a 32w (33 in the winter if i'm lazy).

See how those shoulder boards extend way past your real shoulders? That's bad. It means you need a smaller jacket. Length is less an issue to my eye.

I suspect that you may feel that jackets are too small since you may not be used to the feeling of a well fitting jacket.

15. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Tripler was on Madison & 46th, where JAB is now.

For many decades they had an association with Hickey-Freeman.

They went out of business in the 90s. Later the name was sold to whoever is pimping it now. Current Tripler merch is low quality.

The tie you have is from the 60s and is quite nice.

Cool! So it pays off to pick something up just because it looks good, and not for the name! (Although now I'll keep that name on my list.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.