• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
The sheep was from '09.

Apologies, I failed the reading comprehension test on your post.
wink.gif

Xenos

Reaction score
An RL blue label suit, double-vented; ticket pocket, surgeon's cuffs; and a PRL cashmere/wool SC, double-vented; ticket pocket. Both Made in Italy.

38er.jpg

38ig.jpg

38fg.jpg

38ho.jpg

38gil.jpg

38d.jpg

38c.jpg

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Xenos;4213417 said:
An RL blue label suit, double-vented; ticket pocket, surgeon's cuffs; and a PRL cashmere/wool SC, double-vented; ticket pocket. Both Made in Italy.

Nice find. If a 42R let me know

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
they say on the hardware, i run into alot of the ones that say made in england on the hardware,

i pe

I tend to assume that most of those which say Made in England are likely to have originated with Thurston even if not branded.

951socal

Reaction score
Maybe, I've seen some nicer ones branded nothing but Made in England. However My favorite ones have either been Dooney And Bourke with trafagar trailing shortly behind.

Even though they are kind of dated they feel comfortable.

And on a unrelated note:
It's been exactly 1 year since i've found this forum and lurked for months.
I dress better thanks to you guys:
22 year old in a brooks brothers suit with vintage braces (rarely belt) and a versace tie.
i was in a Old faded graphic t and dickies prior to finding this forum. Looking at my closet (which is nothing compaired to what you guys have on here and in your closets) i keep thinking about the advice given over the year in this thread. Can't thank you guys enough really, I mean i owe you guys alot.

And if i may ask another noob question,

Hickey Freeman shirts, Made in turkey, Nice slim fit seem okay build wise what do you guys persoanlly think of them? They were on Gilt the other day along with versace ties

Temujin

Reaction score
Funky shoe alert! Never heard of "Bonds" store before. The perforations go all the way through, so the sock color can be seen.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's a cloudy day here and I still couldn't get enough sunlight, but at least now I've had some sleep. Here's some better pictures including the pattern codes.
Thanks to everyone for the helpful links to confirm that these are the real thing. Still trying to figure out a fair price for these, the spread of prices on eBay is huge. Speaking of eBay, I've hated it more every time I've used it to sell lately so I suspect these will be going on B&S once I figure out a price.
The purple one doesn't have a tag, so I'm not sure if that one was ever worn or if the owner just decided to take the tag off of it before he folded them in a box until it was time to give them away.

2q9ypu0.jpg

2iuca4i.jpg

v79r3d.jpg

2r4pv2g.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^A few years ago I found a NWT tag Hermes (paid $1, had been marked down), and sold it very quickly in B&S for $100 to a guy in Canada. Although my Hermes experience isn't vast, the NWT carries a lot of extra weight with Hermes as they aren't ever marked down.

Logic doesn't always work with Hermes because there's such an enthusiastic fan base (it's like the Apple of ties). Some of the designs can be quite collectible (I don't pretend to know anything about that).

If it were me, I'd probably list the NWT ties at around $135 ($50 off full retail according to the website) then go to ebay if they hadn't sold by $100-$110. List the non-tagged one as being in "As New/NWOT" condition, and ask $100+. For me at least, it's the most desirable of the bunch.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^A few years ago I found a NWT tag Hermes (paid $1, had been marked down), and sold it very quickly in B&S for $100 to a guy in Canada. Although my Hermes experience isn't vast, the NWT carries a lot of extra weight with Hermes as they aren't ever marked down.

Logic doesn't always work with Hermes because there's such an enthusiastic fan base (it's like the Apple of ties). Some of the designs can be quite collectible (I don't pretend to know anything about that).

If it were me, I'd probably list the NWT ties at around $135 ($50 off full retail according to the website) then go to ebay if they hadn't sold by $100-$110. List the non-tagged one as being in "As New/NWOT" condition, and ask $100+. For me at least, it's the most desirable of the bunch.

Alan's advice is good - especially on the last tie. You'll be tempted to list it for 60 or 70 bucks or even lower just because you see those prices on ebay - but you probably DO have an actual claim to list it as NWOT/close to it. And yes, that NWOT tie is actually the nicest of the three - I think several people have commented on this. That's probably why it's NWOT - the guy liked it better too!

Don't sell yourself short, but don't hold out forever asking the moon either, there's a fine balance. Good luck on the sale!

My luck this morning has been awful awful awful:
4-year-old spilled drink on shirt that sold last night on Ebay for $26, after pulling it out of the package that was up on a shelf he had to use a footstool on a chair to get to... $@#* now I have to find a new childproof place
Shirt went into laundry, making me late...
Shirt develops hole in laundry... probably was a weak spot there before but no HOLE!
I have to send buyer a photo and end up refunding him $20. $#!%! At least he agrees to take shipment for the remaining 6.41.
After Ebay fees and all and the purchase price and gas, I probably still broke even on the shirt, so that's something at least. I have a sinking feeling he's still going to do a chargeback... but it's worth a shot.

Then thrifted a bit:
Norman Hilton 3/2 cashmere sack... with vent TORN open and moth holes all over

Only pickups in four stores were another R&G shirt (french cuffs this time), a Thomas Pink casual shirt and a Ruehl cashmere sweater. None of them fit me, of course.

Get to the office and my office has been converted into a makeshift wedding chapel (loooong story) so I'm in an empty office on my laptop. Shee-it, my day has GOT to get better from here!

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. Going to try to be as fair as I can given the awful shipping Canada Post shipping prices to the US.

Originally Posted by TheWGP
After Ebay fees and all and the purchase price and gas, I probably still broke even on the shirt, so that's something at least. I have a sinking feeling he's still going to do a chargeback... but it's worth a shot.

In my experience, best outcome in these kinds of situations is that the buyer doesn't leave you negative feedback. For me, negs are way worse than getting one payment charged back (as long as it's not a high-priced item).

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Is it just me, or does the briefcase one look like it has a stain near the top left?
Flash/shadow. I'll take better pictures for sale. EDIT: Picture before I get some bad press.
ay591x.jpg
Also, I've discovered that the store I bought it from put their stupid price code on the purple one.
ffffuuuu.gif
You can't see it unless you pull open the bottom but still
ffffuuuu.gif
2dbngc4.jpg

crashoran

Reaction score
I received my lambert allen edmonds in 10E from ebay today. The shoes fit good if I tighten them up as much as they give, and wear thicker socks. I think I did a pretty good job of guessing my size for the first time. Next time I might even go to a 9.5-10EE.
1d1cc8a2.jpg

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomorrowstars
In my experience, best outcome in these kinds of situations is that the buyer doesn't leave you negative feedback. For me, negs are way worse than getting one payment charged back (as long as it's not a high-priced item).

I agree - the only reason I even agreed to ship it at all was because he seemed very genuinely nice and understanding about the whole situation. Yeah, it's probably going to bite me in the butt... but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics