• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crashoran
Do you think they will go well with a charcoal suit?

Depends on how conservative your work environment is, but these look a bit too casual to wear with a suit: rubber soles, bluchers, pebble-grained finish all make them look less dressy.

crashoran

Reaction score
fuuuu.gif
Oh well. They're going with the suit anyways.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crashoran
fuuuu.gif

Shine them up well with some cream polish and wear them proudly. They're good shoes. Probably will be the nicest pair wherever you work. Yeah, a Park Avenue captoe balmoral is more formal, but if you have to ask, chances are whatever you were wearing before wasn't nearly as nice nor as appropriate. In the real world everyone is wearing ugly poly-blend black suits with square-toed Cole Haans. A charcoal suit with those shoes will trump 95% of working men.

And for $50, you got a good deal. People frequently post proud pics of shoes that are totally wore out. Those, on the other hand, look to be alright.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously: they are nice shoes. And I'm sure you'll be able to wear them with a suit until you find something more formal later. Don't sweat it.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
California Dreamer is spot on his assessment regarding your shoes. However, most people wouldnt notice. What do you do for a living? Is it a very "corporate" env? Do your superiors have shoes similar to the one's you bought? If so, you're fine. The modern man DOES NOT know the difference between a blucher or a balmoral.

I've a pair of AE Park Ave's and these are essential to my line of work (corp finance). However, I'm not a big cap toe fan unless if there is brogueing. Therefore, it looks like I'll be putting these up on ebay or here.

If you're a 9E, I've a pair of AE Byron's in excellent condition or we could work something about my PA's. If not, wear the one's you bought proudly. They are totally fine.

Cheers

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Looks real.

If you can spread the back lining and photograph it, I can tell you for sure.

Thanks guys. One more photo attached. (Please excuse crappy phone photo). Going by the eBay guide that Xenos provided, looks like it's the real thing.

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Yesterday, I took a little 240 mile thrifting jaunt today and had dinner with my son who is at East Carolina University. Anyway, I stopped at a little thrift which had never been productive in the past. I considered just passing it up since they never have much of anything and they insist upon marking up their "good" stuff like Ike Behar and Hilfiger. All I found was a dirty pair of loafers. But they cleaned up OK. 9C, not my size.

Go PIRATES!

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Thanks guys. One more photo attached. (Please excuse crappy phone photo). Going by the eBay guide that Xenos provided, looks like it's the real thing.

Again, nice find!

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Aaargh, hardcore thrift-envying your shoe finds!! Trying to both build my work collection (less likely thrifted than via good eBay scores) and some good casual, vintage shoes as well -- these are more likely, but I never see them. Possibly partially because I live in NYC and stuff get's picked up quickly.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Busted today - found an older Canali Proposta, size 56R italian, mid-blue DB suit in great shape - but unvented. I might've took a flyer for resale but it was $30. If anyone here doesn't mind the unvented and for some reason is interested, PM me and I'll proxy.

Two questions:

one: my only pickup today was this Kuhlman shirt - it has a secondary label that says "K Kappa" - anyone know what this means? I assume it's just a random line. Here's a photo.
IMG_20110228_110148.jpg

The second question:
How did that storage-unit auction turn out back in January, frenchy? You seem to have the golden touch (or earn it, 50 stores a week?!) but I've been away and don't recall seeing you mention how it came out.

dk_ace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk_ace
I'm starting to get better at spotting stuff in the thrifts, but there isn't a lot of good stuff to be found in my area. I figure persistence will pay off though...

D

Just a few days after posting this, persistence actually did pay off quite well...

I stopped Friday at the Goodwill that I've visited many times in the last few weeks with varying success and found that they had just received a new shipment. I snagged:

Burberry sportcoat in perfect shape minus a few wrinkles that will fall out - $4. It was a 42L whereas I'm a 40L typically. The shoulders, length, waist, and sleeves are good, but I do need to have the chest taken in a bit. I'm going to take it to a good tailor and see what they say. If it's too expensive or risky, I'll let someone on the forum have it. This is the first really nice item I've found in a thrift.

Neutral orphaned John Clarendon jacket in my size. I really needed this as an odd jacket for some of my trousers. Nothing special, but it fits, it's in like new condition, and it was $4.

Johnston & Murphy Italian wingtips - $6. The leather was a little rough, but I brought them back to life.

A collection of ties, all of them handmade in either Italy or the USA. Some were fairly old, but were in classic patterns and clean. I bought 7 of them for $1 each.

Not a bad haul for $21.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads