The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Some of you may have noticed I like hangers. [​IMG]
    I've done a couple of hanger trades with folks on here as a result of posts here; it's worked out well.

I'm still looking for more, though. I actually snagged a few Zegna *jacket* hangers cheap, and I can only use about 2-3 of them - so I have at least two of these to trade. Since I now have "label" hangers to trade, I'm hoping someone might be willing to work something out. I also have an H. Freeman & Son hanger to trade that might be good for a trad.

I'm looking for any hangers from Canali(suit/jacket)or Zegna(suit) particularly, but I could also use a Southwick suit hanger and I'd always be on the lookout for other top-brand hangers just in case I ever find one of those... hey, I can dream!

Here's the photo of the Zegna hanger I've got for trade - the others are 100% identical:
    [​IMG]

2. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think you'd be safer selling on here than eBay. Especially with the whole tie ordeal I recently dealt with....

What was that?

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Long story short, buyer bought a tie for $50. Got it, said it was damaged in shipping. I asked him to send photos of the said damage and I'd send him a refund. He got defensive, refused to send photos and just went ahead and filed a claim. He then started to threaten me and other SF members. Left me a neg. while I was trying to work it out with him too. Still no sign of the tie. Ebay/Paypal sided with him (big surprise...) when I'm the one who got cheated out of the merchandise and the money.

There was a 17+ page thread on the whole thing here but for some reason it was black-holed.

4. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I think you'd be safer selling on here than eBay. Especially with the whole tie ordeal I recently dealt with....

What tie ordeal? please explain!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

After careful consideration, I listed about half of the neckties I bought in that recent epic haul on eBay, along with quite a few of my own. Started them all at $7.90 (including all the NWT Borrellis and such), shipping is free if you buy more than one. They're all up here.

I HATE square knit ties but I realized that knit ties are typically square! [​IMG]

Some of your knits and plaids are [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. gdwy89

gdwy89 Well-Known Member

Long story short, buyer bought a tie for $50. Got it, said it was damaged in shipping. I asked him to send photos of the said damage and I'd send him a refund. He got defensive, refused to send photos and just went ahead and filed a claim. He then started to threaten me and other SF members. Left me a neg. while I was trying to work it out with him too. Still no sign of the tie. Ebay/Paypal sided with him (big surprise...) when I'm the one who got cheated out of the merchandise and the money.

There was a 17+ page thread on the whole thing here but for some reason it was black-holed.

I was wondering where that thread went. Likely taken down because the thread got a little too personal.

There are still, however, traces of the thread out there if you know how/where to look:
    http://tinyurl.com/6l73f22

7. BarrelMaker

BarrelMaker Senior member

might not be particularly high fashion but i found a real interesting old sears n3-b for a couple bucks a few days ago. it doesnt compare to a real n3-b in function but its very slim fit and has a real fur hood.

also found a nice goretex in my size on the cheap so im pretty happy!

8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

What's the width on the C&J's? I'm a 6.5 G.

Details are here.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Senior member

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep an eye out for a board. Would it still be useful to use until I got a vacuum board?
    Oh sure,just don't turn the volume of the steam up too high.Normally it would pass right through your garment and be sucked down into the board.With a standard board it has no place to go,it hit's the proverbial brick wall,and if the steam is cranked up it will soak whatever you're working on.A vacuum board is also awesome for spotting,it will suck the solvent(and the stain)right through instead of having to put cheesecloth under it and blotting it over and over.The only reason you'll need to go to the dry cleaner is if you need something completely submerged in perchloroethylene or for specialty pressing.

10. Cheese1

Cheese1 Senior member

I know people don't like to reveal their sources, but if someone could point me in the right direction for the Princeton area I'd be really happy [​IMG] I tried searching and found some references to things but never any names.

11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I know people don't like to reveal their sources, but if someone could point me in the right direction for the Princeton area I'd be really happy [​IMG] I tried searching and found some references to things but never any names.

Snark only mildly intended, but here you go: http://www.yellowpages.com/princeton...q=thrift+store

Now you can find them the way the rest of us do.

12. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I went to a thrift store up some stairs behind a building in downtown Princeton once and it was great. So you should go to that one.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

A couple of recent finds for my (bloated) closet:

Robert Talbott Best of Class cashmere/merino sweater
    Bad news: Made in China
    Good news: Paid $4 for it

[​IMG]

Royal Knight real madras shirt
    Made in USA
    All the bells & whistles: 3-button collar, button patch pocket, locker loop (eat your heart out Daiki Suzuki!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

That RT cashmere is amazing!

15. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Senior member

A couple of recent finds for my (bloated) closet:

Robert Talbott Best of Class cashmere/merino sweater
    Bad news: Made in China
    Good news: Paid $4 for it

[​IMG]