• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matstyleku
Thanks everyone including K4lnamja for the info so far. I didn't even know about askandy, but for some reason that site is hard on the eyes.

Is there a point in me leaving those jacket or tie pictures up or should I just get rid of them? Not sure if people on this site do this kind of thing or not.

Yes, AAAC is horrible with regards to their layout. My buddy who is in online marketing/SEM says its probably one of the poorest sites out there. He said if they hired a "suitable" SEM person they could probably generate at least 5K-8K more in ad $ . . . lol

matstyleku

Reaction score
here is the stuff I did pick up. I plan to keep the ties except the Zegna, while the BB shirts I got do not fit me besides the tuxedo one which I have no idea what I would do with, haha. Were the BB shirts a good pick up to sell or should I just have left them there? They are in great shape
IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_1247.jpg
IMG_1252.jpg
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg
IMG_1256.jpg
IMG_1257.jpg

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 for 2 at the thrift stores today.

First, very recent Burberry sport coat (Bond Street), side vents, 3 button, size 42L

Second, Robert Graham shirt, size Medium.

Neither are my size, both up on E*ay.

Dahl5yankees

(PS- some of the photos posted yesterday and today are hideous.
It felt like I went to the thrift store and looked through terrible items.
Sorry)

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
In that case, should i pick up the other croc loafers I saw in the same thrift but from a no-name shoemaker from (palm springs, ca)? They were a little more beat up and weren't brand name so I didn"t bother.

Tassels,
ffffuuuu.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PS: I am in the Chicagoland area. This was my first stop at 1 of about 8 I am hoping to check out at some point. I spend about 3 hours there.

Aah, Salvation Army, I presume. Chicago and the MSP area Sallys share the same grease-pencil on colored paper square tagging system!

Unlike Goodwill which is pretty much the same nation-wide, I've found that Salvation Army stores greatly vary from state to state in terms of tags, pricing and store design/layout.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here is the stuff I did pick up. I plan to keep the ties except the Zegna, while the BB shirts I got do not fit me besides the tuxedo one which I have no idea what I would do with, haha. Were the BB shirts a good pick up to sell or should I just have left them there? They are in great shape
The only decent thing in this lot is the Golden Fleece. That Zegna tie is ancient. Leave polyester junk behind. The best way to go about thrifting is to learn how to spot quality and try to remember the big names. You're in Chicago, so you have a better chance than a lot of us in finding Brioni, Kiton, Isaia, etc. Also, learn the high-end store names. Lots of men's clothiers have high-end makers make their private label stuff, or perhaps you find a name you're not familiar with made for a store you know sells high quality goods. Then it's worth taking the gamble. In your area, you have Barmeys, Neiman Marcus, Syd Jerome and George Greene.

matstyleku

Reaction score
Darn.. haha. I thought I did pretty good. I definitely tried to look for the names like Brioni and Kiton, but did not find any of those. I do think I passed a couple of Canali shirts that I wasn't familiar with. I stopped looking after getting less than halfway through the shirts as I felt I might be missing some good stuff. I did see a Thomas Pink, Barney's and Paul Stuart shirt, but they had stains on them.

I think jackets are quite difficult to get and may not be worth the risk for me since I know so little at this point. I realized a good way to find out the names is to just go back through this thread and see what names pop up.

although I guess not the best find I thought the Hardy Aimes patterns were simple yet nice.

In terms of finding stuff after going through before, do you guys find it difficult to spot the new stuff and not get drowned in the same old stuff you looked at?

JGLB

Reaction score
The madras ties that were stained from that lot I got were not salvagable, so it looks like they're going to be turned into a patchwork madras jacket for my dog.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking to flip then you need to do tons and tons of research FIRST before buying. If not, you will start off in the hole. If thrifting is a hobby and you buy for yourself only (like me), then you can afford to make mistakes . . . sort of.

As mainy said a few pages back, dont always go by name. Gotta go by quality. HOw do you know? By touch, feel, and etc. How do you know how to touch and feel and etc? By research.

amadar

Reaction score
not much to speak of today....found a samuelsohn sc in perfect condition and in my size, seems pretty recent......anybody know how to date samuelsohns?

matstyleku

Reaction score
I am mostly going for my own stuff. I spent a total of 25 bucks which is about the amount I would have spent on a single tie. I bought the other BB stuff and Zegna tie because I got caught up in the moment and figured I could spread some of the "goodies" i thought I found. Overall, the ties and BB Golden fleece were worth more than I paid for all the stuff. Thanks for all the info so far, I hope to get better at this stuff and move on to coats and jackets some day.

Another thought was that I found some nice jackets that were in my size but how the heck do you find the pants? It just seems impossible.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. $25 isnt too bad then.

Pants? Gotta look on the racks (both men and women). If it's not there, determine whether to cut loose or purchase.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
The Junior League store here is having 75% off of everything in the place. Got 2 very nice Samuelsohn suits in my size for $7 each. One brown one gray. I really like that brand and I'm surprised there is so much of it in NC. I seem to find it pretty frequently.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
not much to speak of today....found a samuelsohn sc in perfect condition and in my size, seems pretty recent......anybody know how to date samuelsohns?
If it has the heart on the tag, it's recent (within 3-4 years old)
Samuelsohn%20Label%20on%20grey%20herringbone%20%20400x400.jpg
Before that it was this:
Samuelsohn%20super%20110%27s%20trouser%20258x258.jpg
and before this one (hard to tell but the tag is red. shade of red varies. I've seen dark red to a bright red)
xl_0308Sammygolden4.jpg

matstyleku

Reaction score
So I started reading the last 100 pages of this thread realized how much of an *ss I was being by posting the same questions others have had for a long time. I will now proceed to read the other 700 pages and will post back once I've done that and took another shot at thrifting.

On that note, is there a thread or a way to get this information on the first page of this thread or something? It just seems that the same stuff gets asked a lot, which is a sign the placement of the information isn't very clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads