• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Dang. You know mainy pwns you when he's already seen and rejected your rejects.

He actually pwned me today, it's a friendly competition
devil.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Mainy rules the roost in KC. I just try to catch a few crumbs here and there.

I'm hoping he gets a big scholarship to a grad school in the Northeast soon.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
found some vintage florsheim imperials. if there are no wrinkles where they bend when you walk and you can tell they've been worn, theyre most likely shell cordovan right? The finish looks pretty cloudy, but i think with a good polish they will have an awesome patina. Not the worst 10 bucks i ever spent.....well the shoes were buy one get one, so i found a pair of allen edmonds casual shoes my size as well so 5 bucks each..

Also, I picked up a few mint harris tweeds which of course are all too small (im a 46r). One is a cool vintage eddie bauer , and the other notable one is an orvis with suede elbow patches.

Picked up a RLBL wool/cashmere glen plaid sport coat in my size but the sleeves are a bit long so i may just sell it

as far as shirts, I found a few lorenzinis and a very recent etro

rfd515

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Yes, both came from the SA. Face it, you're just a thrifting slacker!
laugh.gif
Today was the first real hit several stores thrifting day I've had in ages.

Unless that suit is a 40/41R it's too small (or more likely, I'm too fat).

The SA in Lee's Summit doesn't seem to smell any worse than any of the other GW's or SA's I've hit in Lee's Summit (where I live) or Independence/OP. I only buy things that fit (no flipping) and leave the super baller stuff for everyone else so don't feel threatened, and 99% of the time I stay in LS which doesn't appear to be where you two are/go. Especially Mainy as I don't hit anywhere that's selling stuff for $30 (I'm cheap).

951socal

Reaction score
Anybody know what Versace classic is?

google search comes up with nothing but jeans

it is not the versace classic V2 line, its a black label and says Versace classic
with a construction tag up on the yoke under the label im talking about
says 100% cotton made in turkey

rayxlui

Reaction score
Pretty good couple of days.

Picked up 2 RLPL shirts, virtually NWOT. 12 bucks
A Bamford & Sons shirt from ebay for 20
A NWT Italia Independent zip up for 9
A sweet Blumarine sweater for 2

And the kicker, a bottle of Hermes Equipage, from the 1970's.

Total damage was $68

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
Anybody know what Versace classic is?

google search comes up with nothing but jeans

it is not the versace classic V2 line, its a black label and says Versace classic
with a construction tag up on the yoke under the label im talking about
says 100% cotton made in turkey

Its the same as the V2 line, after they dropped the V2 from the title.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifting is half luck and half knowledge. I got the luck side today - out doing some shopping, and I wasn't planning to pop in on the thrift because I went last weekend and this one is expensive and slow to rotate their stock. I'm glad I did though - I came out with a Kilgour flannel suit in grey with a blue and yellow pinstripe - fit is pretty good with only a couple of small alterations needed.

Blamm

Reaction score
Navy silk knit tie ($1) and 10 nice wooden hangers ($0.25 ea). Say bye-bye to 10 plastic hangers in the closet...

hyakku

Reaction score
Was able to grab what looks to be a late 90's, green Ralph Lauren Polo shirt (with one of hte older icons, real comfortable), and two Zegna shirts, one of which is a little too large for me but it's extremely soft and is a nice purple / yellow windowpane pattern. The only slight flaw I think that's there is that the button for the front pocket seems to be missing (or maybe it didn't come with one as I can't see where the stitching would've came apart, but there's definitely a button hole there and an extra button inside of the shirt so maybe I'm just inexperienced with Zegna's and this is how they do). I'll throw pictures up if anyone's interested in it for cheap.

Also, saw a hermes tie at another spot I go to, but they wanted $25, it was extraordinarily nice, but still trying to decide if it's worth it. It's been there for a few days.

I also saw a Lauren Ralph Lauren jacket with a tag/label I've never seen, it said something like Academy Awards or something. It had solid construction and felt pretty nice but I couldn't find anything about it online on my phone while I was there and as the chest pocket wasn't even functional I figured it couldn't be that good.

mco543

Reaction score
Today was a pretty good day for me

NWOT Isaia Napoli for Neiman Marcus dress shirt purple with darker purple stripes (keeper)

Armani white textured dress shirt (keeper)

Lanvin size 15 blue dress shirt with button down collar, the tag has a sailboat logo and says its made in Italy. How recent is this? Will be available if there is interest.

Older Lanvin tie that I liked the pattern of

Pix coming if my camera works today.

Passed on a Brioni BD for $50.00, Burberry London BD for $35.00, Beaten to hell Church's Custom Grades for $125.00 and a pair of burnt orange Boss pants for $20.00.

Is Maus and Hoffman stuff any good? I've been seeing an awful lot of it lately and I also found a ton of Brooks Brothers BDs with a black on white logo tag, I initially thought they might be BBBF but they were standard XL sizes and there were atleast a dozen made in Hong Kong.

RedRaider

Reaction score
Just got back and not much to report. I did find a pair of AEs in excellent condition. Unfortunately they are not my size - they are a size 8 D. They look well taken care of and the soles look pretty new. If any of you are an 8 D, send me a PM. I'll do $50 shipped for them.
5399129553_a5a9fd29f6.jpg
5399734154_b557e4931a.jpg
5399735432_12447c49d9.jpg
5399133707_fcebf26606.jpg

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
One question: Passed on a Ralph Lauren Collection (purple label) women's jacket, single-button. Wasn't sure what the heck to do with that so I put it on hold and thought I'd ask here if anyone's had any luck flipping that kind of thing? I've never really had any interest/knowledge to look at women's stuff, though I do look at the coats/sweaters semi-routinely and the pants for mates - but only for men's stuff that's misfiled, never found anything in WOMENS that I knew to grab, at least beyond some cashmere sweaters as gifts and some Torrid stuff for my wife. EDIT: I see from Ebay that leaving the jacket was wise - but the question stands: anyone have any tips on WOMEN'S stuff?
I did very well with a Luciano Barbera women's suit I picked up last year. It was in perfect condition and had both pants and skirt along with the jacket. It was super high end and sold here on the forum in a few days. http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=8063 I picked up an absolute gem this afternoon. This is a vintage Brooks Brothers "Makers" 3 piece, 3/2 sack Donegal tweed suit. The union label indicates its from the early to mid 70s. It is in absolutely gorgeous condition with patch pockets, welted center seam and has full canvas construction. Along with it I picked up a pink BB OCBD of about the same vintage. The collar is classic. Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads