Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

I haven't had any major finds lately. Here are a couple of vintage shirts which will be appreciated by the trad crowd (both long sleeve) and a nice pair of AE Graysons. I also recently picked up a pair of Nettleton shortwings and an unknown brand pair of 7 1/2 D black spade soled shortwings.

[​IMG]

Super jealous of these madras shirts. Really lovely.

2. rgoldstein

rgoldstein Senior member

3. mainy

mainy Senior member

^^Nice find on the Hermes. I came across one today, with some excitement, only to find the stain on it in different light. Thankfully that was before I bought it. Also left behind a Rubinacci for Louis Boston shirt that wasn't in quite good enough condition.

Did you spot the freakin' gorgeous Jil Sander Tailor Made shirt donated by the same former owner? I almost cried when I saw the stains on it [​IMG]

My finds today:
    Brioni sweater
    Recent Zegna shirt
    2 x Brooks Brothers tweed patch pocket jackets
    Vintage Polo Ralph Lauren blazer
    Vintage Polo Ralph Lauren houndstooth suit (this thing is awesome, ticket pocket, dual vent, think the fabric has some cashmere in it)
    great looking pair of AE sanfords
    shell cordovan Hanovers, their top of the line model
    Helmut Lang suit
    brioni tie
    charvet tie

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Spoo is thrifting! I wonder if the economy is going to tank. Maybe time to sell the shares[​IMG]
    Haha, my thoughts exactly!
    And I came across something I was shocked to see, a Rag & Bone french cuff shirt. R&B just isn't common in these parts. They aren't kidding when they say they're slim fit!
    It's so uncommon to find SW&D items, so when I find one it's like the holy grail! In 10-ish years of thrifting, I've found Martin Margiela, Jil Sander, APC, Rag & Bone, Yojhi Yamamoto and Issey Miyake. Stuff you wouldn't even think to find here in Minnesota. For me, today was a bust. 3 stores and nothing. I did find 9 mint Brooks Brothers mainline casual button-downs and a recent (2005) mainline BB suit for my brother. All fit him spot on and were obviously from the same donor.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Did you spot the freakin' gorgeous Jil Sander Tailor Made shirt donated by the same former owner? I almost cried when I saw the stains on it...

Was it the blue striped shirt shirt that had fraying? I did get a kind of wild colored Jil Sander shirt and an Etro shirt. It remains to be seen if anyone actually will want them. There were probably half a dozen Armani shirts, but I didn't get any of them.

In the interest of full disclosure, I also picked up:

Sanyo/Carol Cohen rainshell
    BB "Hand Tailored" check sportcoat
    BB 3/2 herringbone tweed sportcoat
    RRL chambray shirt
    LL Bean cords
    J Crew handknit sweater

Size?

6. mainy

mainy Senior member

Was it the blue striped shirt shirt that had fraying? I did get a kind of wild colored Jil Sander shirt and an Etro shirt. It remains to be seen if anyone actually will want them. There were probably half a dozen Armani shirts, but I didn't get any of them.

In the interest of full disclosure, I also picked up:

Sanyo/Carol Cohen rainshell
    BB "Hand Tailored" check sportcoat
    BB 3/2 herringbone tweed sportcoat
    RRL chambray shirt
    LL Bean cords
    J Crew handknit sweater

Size?

the jil sander and etro will be an e-z sell, at least on ebay. did you get those both at that sally? looked like some dude had donated a bunch of stuff (including those beat armani shirts). obviously I got there too late. i'm going to start going out to independence at least once or twice a week, i've been only going there like twice a month, i need to step it up.

the suit is like a 38/39. I will have to measure it out, it's pretty wicked though.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^Yes, both came from the SA. Face it, you're just a thrifting slacker! [​IMG] Today was the first real hit several stores thrifting day I've had in ages.

Unless that suit is a 40/41R it's too small (or more likely, I'm too fat).

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

^Yes, both came from the SA. Face it, you're just a thrifting slacker! [​IMG] Today was the first real hit several stores thrifting day I've had in ages.

Unless that suit is a 40/41R it's too small (or more likely, I'm too fat).

I wanted to buy the made in france bally shoes there but 15 bucks? Yeah no way. I found some great aldens in that store once too, but one shoe was like punctured. it was weird. other than that, never had any luck at that store whatsoever. Most SA's in the metro sell smelly junk.

And yeah the RL suit is really slim. I have actually found a ton of vintage ralph lauren tailored clothing in 38/39 lately, it's bizarre, going to make a post with some of it in B&S tomorrow if I get around to it. Found a crazy horseblanket plaid jacket from the early 70's. Glad to hear you found some things though, I almost feel guilty when I have days as good as I had today [​IMG]

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

If your brother ever feels like his closet has enough thrifted finery, let me know. Didn't you mention before that your brother is a 46R?

10. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Did you spot the freakin' gorgeous Jil Sander Tailor Made shirt donated by the same former owner? I almost cried when I saw the stains on it [​IMG]

My finds today:
    Brioni sweater
    Recent Zegna shirt
    2 x Brooks Brothers tweed patch pocket jackets
    Vintage Polo Ralph Lauren blazer
    Vintage Polo Ralph Lauren houndstooth suit (this thing is awesome, ticket pocket, dual vent, think the fabric has some cashmere in it)
    great looking pair of AE sanfords
    shell cordovan Hanovers, their top of the line model
    Helmut Lang suit
    brioni tie
    charvet tie

F--k me, that is a hell of a score!

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, that SA, and area SAs in general, I've usually found pretty disappointing, to the point I rarely bother going in one.

I looked at those Bally shoes, too, but (obviously) didn't get them. Had they been in better shape I probably would have.

12. mainy

mainy Senior member

i left out the part where it took 5 hours of my day, 6 stores and 90 miles on the odometer [​IMG]

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

If your brother ever feels like his closet has enough thrifted finery, let me know. Didn't you mention before that your brother is a 46R?

Actually he's on the smaller size, though his weight is catching up with him. He's about a 38-40 Short. 5'9 or 5'10 and about 160 lbs.

+1. Amazing!

14. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

Hit up three stores today - not much to speak of.

I did find two vintage pair of Florshiem's - size 9 and 10. Both in new condition, but I passed as I don't like to flip stuff that much.

I did find a nice Etiqueta Negra shirt, but it was too big.

Maybe tomorrow.

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

^^Nice find on the Hermes. I came across one today, with some excitement, only to find the stain on it in different light. Thankfully that was before I bought it. Also left behind a Rubinacci for Louis Boston shirt that wasn't in quite good enough condition. And I came across something I was shocked to see, a Rag & Bone french cuff shirt. R&B just isn't common in these parts. They aren't kidding when they say they're slim fit!

Dang. You know mainy pwns you when he's already seen and rejected your rejects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.