Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

That's just it, though. It's not always about profit. I've sold a lot of stuff at cost or even below cost. Other stuff I try to make my gas money back on. I'm not saying it's never about profit, as we've all sold stuff at one point and made a killing. I'm just saying that there are still those of us who like to pass along the good deal, making someone who shares the same hobby as you happy and not care about making a buck in the process.

2. mike540

mike540 Senior member

I'm always thinking this thread needs more pictures.

Keeping with the AE theme: some Sanfords; a perfect fit and I suspect some conditioner will make the little mark on the toe less noticable.
    [​IMG]

Funny, I passed on a pair exactly like that last week (too small), same size, price and chain of stores. I see you're from Canada. Not southwestern Ontario by chance?

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

That's just it, though. It's not always about profit. I've sold a lot of stuff at cost or even below cost. Other stuff I try to make my gas money back on. I'm not saying it's never about profit, as we've all sold stuff at one point and made a killing. I'm just saying that there are still those of us who like to pass along the good deal, making someone who shares the same hobby as you happy and not care about making a buck in the process.

Sorry I wasn't aware of historical goings on Nataku. I like to visit this thread to see some of the wonderful things that can be found in thrift stores. I fully appreciate all the time and effort that you guys put into it. Certainly no one is getting rich by thrifting. Please take no offense from me.
    I was sitting here smiling at the humorous side of the comment earlier, nothing more. Peace.

4. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I've been lurker for a while, but the thrift store thread motivated me to join. I'm an avid thrifter, normally looking for items I can wear myself. If it's not my size or it's beyond repair, I don't mess with it.

That said, I've hit some good stores in the last two days and have come out with the following:

- 3 BB long sleeve dress shirts - one is woven in Italy - a nice blue w/double green pinstripes, one is white with button collar and the third is a dark blue/light blue checkered pattern.

- One BB polo shirt, dark blue - great condition, perfect Friday shirt for work

- One pair of Pierre Cardin vintage cuff links - very 80's looking, love'em

- Two ties - one BB all silk and one Duxbury LTD Italian silk.

- All of these items cost me around $30 total.

My best find was last year - a near mint North Face Gore-Tex rain jacket, retailing for around $200, I got it for $4.75. Also found a REI rain jacket, similar style - cost me $4 and I sent it to my dad.

I try to get to one or two shops per week (near work and home). I normally don't buy anything, but the key is to go constantly, because any decent thrift store will have regular product turnover. I don't buy just to buy, as I don't put anything on Ebay. I buy for myself and let the other stuff go for someone else.

Glad to be part of the forum!

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sorry I wasn't aware of historical goings on Nataku. I like to visit this thread to see some of the wonderful things that can be found in thrift stores. I fully appreciate all the time and effort that you guys put into it. Certainly no one is getting rich by thrifting. Please take no offense from me.
    I was sitting here smiling at the humorous side of the comment earlier, nothing more. Peace.

None taken. Happy thrifting! [​IMG]

6. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

on a side note,going to my first ever storage auction tomorrow.
    if i find any Picassos or Tiffanys will post pics...

7. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

Over the last couple of days:

1 Loro Piana red linen LS shirt
    1 Saks Fifth Avenue yellow linen LS shirt.

Both have thick MOP buttons. Anyone know who makes these?

A blue-grey Bobby Jones wool casual blazer with patch pockets. This is not a StyleForum-approved label but the construction seems nice and it will serve a (manufactured) need for a casual jacket to wear with jeans.

A Purple Label tie, light grey plaid. It had some sort of oil stain on it but it was only $1.99, so I thought I would experiment with a home remedy to clean it. Used very small amounts of shampoo and hydrogen peroxide, blotted with a damp washcloth and used a hair dryer to dry it. Turned out well. Spot is 95% gone. But, as my 7-year-old said, "It may work on this tie, but it might not work on another one." So, you know, caveat.

Passed on a Canali three-button, double-vented suit and pointed it out to a young couple who purchased it for $12.99. Passed on a 2007 BB Navy blazer in great condition. Also passed on an Alfred Dunhill tan, suede, baseball-style, made-in-Italy jacket with a small grease stain on the shoulder, otherwise perfect. Stain wasn't a problem, but it was a size too large for me.

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

on a side note,going to my first ever storage auction tomorrow.
    if i find any Picassos or Tiffanys will post pics...

I love the show Storage Wars on A&E. Even though it's reality TV, I know there's a lot of it that must be scripted. Let me know how it is, and if you've ever seen the show, I'd like to hear if it's anything like that in real life.

9. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

I love the show Storage Wars on A&E. Even though it's reality TV, I know there's a lot of it that must be scripted. Let me know how it is, and if you've ever seen the show, I'd like to hear if it's anything like that in real life.

yeah,i saw the new ep tonight.theres a guy on youtube that is a pro and he says that show is very close to the real thing unlike the other one on spike (auction hunters) because of all the guns they find (likely in his opinion but not that many and he should know hes from atlanta).
    according to him people love to see guns so it seems scripted to him where as the other one i didnt see any (yet).
    check out a guy GlendonCameron hes freaking hilarious.and found a safe with $60 K worth of stuff for a $1 bid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNZQZ...eature=related

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah, I watched tonight's episode too. I've been following it since episode 1. I'm hooked. Watched Auction Hunters on Discovery once and wasn't a big fan.

Re: GlendonCameron - Wow! This guy has some experience in this field. Goes to show it's just like thrifting. There are good days, great days and terrible days. Sometimes it's a gamble and sometimes you get lucky!

Good luck tomorrow, Frenchy!

11. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

Yeah, I watched tonight's episode too. I've been following it since episode 1. I'm hooked. Watched Auction Hunters on Discovery once and wasn't a big fan.

Re: GlendonCameron - Wow! This guy has some experience in this field. Goes to show it's just like thrifting. There are good days, great days and terrible days. Sometimes it's a gamble and sometimes you get lucky!

Good luck tomorrow, Frenchy!

thank you,i got 5 padlocks in one pocket and $2000 in the other so im ready

12. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

13. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Someone from a few pages ago was asking for 36R stuff, if this is you please PM me. i honestly forgot your username and i was looking out for stuff for you.

or if
    anyone interested in a

Paul Smith
    London

86% wool
    14% mohair

Mae in italy Blue suit with a pinstripe, notched lapel, side vented
    36R suit?

it needs a good dry cleaning and has 1 small pin hole on the shoulder.

I bought it for $49.99 (boutique price)

so im looking for $49.99 + shipping

if not i can return it.
    or trade me alanvin (blue label, sail boat) suit for it in my size! (size fat i mean 42R)
    or any casual wear stuff, like jil sander etc in neutral colors.

14. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

Sorry, Nataku, somebody got to 'em. I'm still VERY new to the thrifting and fashion game, so I'm tentative about buying things that aren't for me.

Meanwhile, I'm heading to Nashville for a few days. Anyone got any tips for where to look?

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

"Suicide heel"? Is that the v-cleat? What is the deal with that thing and why does it have such a dangerous reputation?

That is the one. I don't consider them to be dangerous. I think it is just one of those opinions which people read and repeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.